1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ch 2 video] Adelman arrives in Houston tonight.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hilltopper, May 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

Adelman arrived at IAH tonight around 10pm. Here's the first interview with him in town:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/13370782/index.html

Due to time constraints there is not a lot, but enough to get you through the night. Btw, the LIVE press conference will be streamed on click2houston.com tomorrow at 3pm.

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Good Stuff, I wish it went on for another 20 minutes or so but I guess thats what tomorrows for.

He says we have two real good players, I hope he realizes that the rest of the team blows @$$ mostly. It's also good he liked how we get along as a team, I hope he also realizes that Bonzi wants to come back and Bonzi didn't get along last year very well.

I can't wait to see the real interview tommorrow

BTW his voice is a lil scratchy.. :( I miss Gundys voice.. theres always espn tho for that... in that short 50 second clip he did somthing Gundy hasn't done in 4 years.. at the 20 second mark he laughed.. he also said the word excited.. and he didnt say it once.. he said excited TWICE so im in shock :eek: I didn't know coaches were allowed to do that

#2 Realjad, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. wilsonliu

wilsonliu Member

nice to hear him saying excited.

4. Hilltopper

That's being a little harsh dontcha think...JVG has a great sense of humor.

5. Hilltopper

Adelman arrives in Houston to join Rockets

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4828078.html

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Rick Adelman, who's set to become the next Rockets coach on Wednesday arrived in Houston late Tuesday after a long, hard travel day.

But as always in coaching, the point is not the journey, but the destination.

When finally nothing else was uncertain, Adelman himself was very much up in the air, arriving in Houston about four hours behind schedule because travel delays. But he is scheduled to be named at a 3 p.m. news conference today at Toyota Center. And even with the delays, after a year sitting out of coaching, he considered the position worth the wait.

"I always knew I was going to look for something eventually," Adelman said. "This is obviously just a great situation with the city, the organization and two pretty good players. I'm just really excited.

"This is a team that played so solid together last year. You can build on that. In this league, I learned a long time ago, it's a lot easier coaching when you have good players, good people. I think this team has that from my observations. I watched them at the end of last year when they came to Portland and was really impressed with the way they played. I'm just really excited to have the opportunity to coach these guys."

While much remains to be determined, Rockets players said they were encouraged about having another proven, veteran coach. Adelman .610 winning percentage is the best for an active NBA coach without an NBA title.

"You always want to play for a coach that has experience and has won," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. "I think coach Adelman has shown that over the years in different situation. That's the exciting part of this announcement.

"I enjoyed the year. I thought we had a great year. I really enjoyed working with Jeff. I thought I did the best I could for him. And I think he would say I did well for him."

Rockets center Yao Ming praised former Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, under whom he went from a promising project to an All NBA player, while expressing optimism about next season moving his third coach in six NBA seasons.

"First of all, I've been working good with Jeff," Yao said. "He gave me the best four years, so far, in my career. I appreciate what he did for me. He put in a lot of effort, a lot of work. We had a good time. I'm so sad to hear he's leaving. We knew a little bit before that it was going to happen. I'm still sad. Hopefully, he got some rest and will have a good time with his family.

"Right now, we're looking forward. Changing coaches has happened to me before. Rick Adelman, I know he coached the Sacramento team before. He also coached great centers. I believe we'll have a good future."

The coaching change will likely change much of the Rockets' offensive style, with Adelman traditionally using a more free-flowing, often open-post offense.

"Every team that talks to you, you look at it and say what can you do with that team," Adelman said. "There's some real plusses there when you have Yao at center and you have Tracy (McGrady) -- one of the best perimeter people and one of the best big guys. I've been thinking about it. I think things we've done in the past work for anybody. You just have to put people in good positions and they'll respond."

For Rockets players, there surely will be adjustments to make, though there was a sense that what worked for Adelman before can work again.

"I'm for playing for a good coach," Battier said. "He'll be looking at our personnel and tailor a system to give us the best chance to win. That's what good coaches do."

While Adelman took his first steps toward his next job, Jeff Van Gundy lined up his next position, agreeing to work as an analyst on ABC's broadcast of the NBA Finals.

Van Gundy, speaking on ESPN, continued to praise Adelman, while saying he wanted to remain the Rockets coach.

"Rick Adelman is a terrific basketball coach, and an even better man," Van Gundy said.

"The owner (Leslie Alexander) wanted to make a change. That's his prerogative. That's his right.

"I don't think they made the right decision, but it is a decision they have every right to make."

Once that decision was made, the Rockets quickly made the next one, settling quickly on Adelman.

Things slowed down a bit on Tuesday, but by day's end, Adelman and the Rockets where they wanted to be.

"There was a change being made and I'd had a pretty good track record over the years with two very positions in Portland and Sacramento," Adelman said. "I think obviously they thought I could do something good here."

6. Realjad

Yeah but Gundys humor always made me laugh, cause he said it so seriously... Good O'l Gundy, I'll definitly miss him.. but we got to move on and I'm jumpin on the Adelman wagon for now.

BTW thanks alot Hilltopper, u work at fox right??

7. Hilltopper

Would I be posting links to Click2Houston if that were the case? :cool:

8. Realjad

touche.. its even in the thread title, its just the excitement from hearing Adelmans first words ;) being addicted and a fanatic to the rockets has its downfalls

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Where is his mustache? It's not the real Adelman without the Hitler stache.

He better get that thing back before training camp! I want the real Adelman, the complete package!

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I agree. He is a better coach when he lets his mustache do the talking.

11. BigTex

BigTex Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqYOcB9X2jA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqYOcB9X2jA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

is it just the closeup or has he aged a lot since being canned by the kings?

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yao seems genuinely bothered by JVG's firing and non-enthusiastic about Adelman. Reminds me of when Rudy was let go.

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

and that's a bad thing?

15. uchlha

uchlha Member

its the beard it missing :(

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah when they asked yao the adelman question during the hakeem workout he got pretty sad in his mood and voice. i'm actually kind of shocked. i think he recognizes all the work van gundy put into helping yao be a great player.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1401/adelman_arrives_in_houston/

no clutch, he wasn't talking about rafer. he's clearly talking about spanoulis and novak.

DD

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just an observation. Yao isn't very good at hiding his feelings. I assume Tracy will comment tomorrow and say the right things.

18. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

again, i still will say tracy will have his most efficient offensive season under adelman since i think he'll put tracy in more positions to simply finish (ala phil w/ kobe) rather than do everything.

19. tsunami

tsunami Member

Tracy not good at finish any more ===> he can't shoot!

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

u let one bad shooting season determine that? dude never had an offseason last yr and he went out 7 games that messed up his rhythm. he can shoot, but the lack of rhythm => inconsistent shooting.

he'll shoot AT LEAST 46% next yr under adelman