1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Jeff Leaves Decision with Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, May 17, 2007.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

See the point is that Adelman is a respected coach among his peers and he would never interview for the job unless Les Alexander had assured him 100% that JVG was not coming back. So it's like a slap in the face to JVG and sending the message clear that he doesn't want Jeff back as coach. Now Jeff doesn't know how to react so he goes out and says I'm not in control let them decide. He was trying gain the upper hand in making it look like the owner was responsible for his departure.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think that assumption is a big reach.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I get it now, you aren't really delusional. Your sense of humor is just on another level that makes no sense to anyone else.

4. RocketsFan95

RocketsFan95 Member

I agree. JVG seems to be OK with Les interviewing with Rick. He pretty much stated that he is awaiting a decision from Les. It is not a simple matter of asking him to be back for next year. He made it clear to Les the CONDITIONS that he be back. The hold-up seem to be on those conditions. That is why JVG claimed that the ball is in the court of Les.

I probably belong to the minorities both here and in Chinese Basketball Fan Forum, who are not JVG haters. I hate to see him stepping away after the season.

I think he is one of the very good coaches in the NBA, although I do not like certain aspect of his coaching styles. Like everyone else, I am very disappointed with the first-round exit, and I think JVG has his share of the blame for that. He should be blamed for not able to bring out the best from their superstars and the support casts at the most crucial point of the games, and his micro-management of all the details of every defence/offence sequence is not to my taste. I also questioned his philosophy of "winning every (meaningless) game" attitude, even when it was so obvious that could hurt us in the lottery.

However, I have to admit that he is an intelligent person, and he did a wonderful job. Losing to Jazz in Game 7 is not that un-acceptable, because Jazz is as good as team as the Rockets is, and we all knew that. To me before the Post Season start, it was a draw between Jazz and Rockets, with Rockets having a slightly better chance as it claimed the HCA gifted from Jazz. Now Jazz laughed at the last, and it was not entirely on JVG. Actually Yao Ming should take a more blame (I am his fan) for not holding any of the defensive rebound when it counted the most.

Anyway, things are not clear yet, and we are still waiting. Both JVG and Rockets should realize that a divorce between them may hurt both parties. JVG should be able to find another coaching position easily, if he desire so. However, he may very well start over on a bad team again, and it could questionable the super-stars of the team would accept his style. To the Rockets, the team's future could very much be up in the air. Don't assume the new coach would necessarily do a better job than JVG. When you blame JGV's "offensive skills", don't assume that the team would inherit the defensive skills. They could very much go into the toilet. In fact, I am not a big fan of Rick Adelman. If we had to find a replacement, I would much rather to see some one like Rick Carlisle (Pacer's Head Coach).

5. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

I agree. Although tmac is my favorite and tmac said JVG is the best coach he'd ever met, JVG's discriminatory treatment to different players sickened me a lot.
    I really do not want to see him anymore next season.

6. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

How much of a pay difference are we talking? Would JVG be willing to take that for less stress??

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Maybe, maybe no. SI or ESPN don't remember conducted a player survey where JVG was voted as one of the coaches player's would least like to play for.

8. hangxy

hangxy Member

An intelligent person should be "able to bring out the best from their superstars and the support casts at the most crucial point of the games", should not stick to "micro-management of all the details of every defence/offence sequence ", and should not follow the "philosophy of "winning every (meaningless) game" attitude, even when it was so obvious that could hurt us in the lottery."

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Quite honestly that poll was terribly unscientific - and we've been able to nail every free agent target, even lazy malcontents like Swift and Wells - since JVG has been here. The only "miss" was MIke James, and that was because of the "trade kicker"nonsense.

I think that "players hate JVG" thing overblown, insofar has his players generally swear by him, with some exceptions of course. PLayers like two things - winning and money. When they think they can find one or both, they will play for the team no matter who is the coach.

10. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

No, no, no. If we're continuing this dating analogy, then Les didn't sleep with another woman, he just took her out to McDonald's and talked. What we don't know is if Les insisted she order off the dollar menu or if he sprung for a southwest chicken salad.

11. ximen

ximen Member

Not surprising at all. If you were JVG, why not? Rox is a locked playoff team if both of our stars are healthy, and no one asks him to bring back championship next year. Houston isn't NYC, he isn't Mr. Brown either, we are only one minute away from the second round playing with a badly mismatched Utah, and Yao still has improving room next year if he wants...... There has little reason for him to give up now. He can stay, but he must learn some lessons from it and make some changes himself next year, at least for the future of this team.

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Les told him last year to make changes. That is why he is on the chopping block.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The changes Les talked about last year were unrelated to performance on the court. He wanted JVG to have a more positive and upbeat demeanor in his dealings with the media (to appease all the fans calling him Jeff Van Grumpy). I personally liked the way Van Gundy handled media sessions and always looked forward to hearing him instead of the usual platitudes that you get from other coaches.