1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WILLIS A ROCKET AGAIN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Oh my god! It just does not get any better than that. WE ARE READY. BRING ON WHO YOU WANT! No wonder Mobley boast the way he did.

3. silent j

silent j Member

I guess this means Collier has a lower back strain.
    j

4. treeman

treeman Member

A part of me has always secretly wanted him back here. I guess a part of Rudy has too. Excellent move...

9.6ppg, 7.2rpg, 1+ bpg, something like that in like 22 minutes. Not a superstar, but he will definitely help. I don't think Cato's our starting center anymore :p. He's just a little more mature, aggressive, consistent, etc...

:)

5. Old School

Old School Member

The Black Hole is back!! (That's what he was called in the inner circles because once the ball went in to Willis it was never coming back out.)

I like the deal. They didn't give up squat to get him. He has a great work ethic and always like the Rockets. I think his experience could help Cato in the long run.

Old School

6. DissMember

DissMember Member

I guess Mase will sign with the Bucks tomorrow.

7. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

Could be worse, at least we didn't give up anyone. Actually I think it may help. Willis is a bruiser and bullies people around, something we haven't had since he left. We're too soft, and it shows when other big men just push us around. While he may not be a shot blocker, he pushes postplayers off of their spot. That's something that maybe overlooked. Coincidently,the last year that we split w/SA, Willis was with us.He used to bang Duncan around.
    The one that I hated about Willis was that he often played stupid on offense,i.e taking bad shot & never passing the ball, however Now that we have a different type of offense he won't get to handle the ball that much, mostly catching Steve's and Cat's pass'es and dunking.:cool:

8. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

KEVIN WILLIS Now that was exciting;) I am glad I stayed up until 11pm. I've always like Kevin and he's a sharp dresser too. I wished it could have been S Williams instead but Kevin's OK. How old is he anyways?

9. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Old enough to retire tomorrow. ;)

I think he's like 38 or 39.

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'd still like us to sign Mase.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Good move. Now if only the Rockets would sign Matt Maloney...

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Well I guess this is a loud statement from the Rockets office to Cato & Collier.

Cato wanted some incentive to fight for his starting position (HE HAS IT), and collier, THE GREAT WHITE SLUG, has yet to show if he even belongs in the NBA.

GREAT MOVE CD!!!!

So if they do decide to move Walt (TO MANY 3's), what else do we need?

13. treeman

treeman Member

For those of you youngsters who weren't around when Kevin Willis was with us, think a Cato body, with Cato athleticism, except he's totally unafraid to bang, mature/smart enough to avoid calls against him, good rebounder, generally aggressive on defense, etc.

One thing I always liked about him was that he takes alot of offensive rebs and turns them into points. He's not a finesse player, doesn't pass, but when the ball gets in his hands under the basket he's going to score. Offensive rebs converted to points takes away from the defenders' rebs and therefore points... It's nice to have an offensive rebounder again.

And seeing that we gave up pretty much nothing to get him... I am very pleased.

:D

14. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

15. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

Willis is a bruiser and bullies people around, something we haven't had since he left.

he may not be a shot blocker, he pushes postplayers off of their spot. That's something that maybe overlooked. Coincidently,the last year that we split w/SA, Willis was with us.He used to bang Duncan around.

He just might can teach EG how to get people off the block, It can only help him until he put on more weight. Just might can teach Cato a few things to on working hard and staying focus. I see that 15 player roster tighten up just another notch.:p :p :p

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Big Kev gives us that physical presence inside. He can score around the basket, rebound, a decent shot-blocker, and intense one-on-one defender. I'm guessing that we could see a starting line-up with Willis at PF and Cato starting at center, and give us that "Twin Towers" effect. Definitely helps our rebounding considerably! And more importantly a veteran presence. I think having to solid veteran who can score and rebound up front in Rice and Willis will pay enormous dividends. It solidifies our frontcourt's attitude big time!

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

An above average big man, who rebounds well and has an ungainly, but relatively effective, hook shot for a second round pick.

I think this was an excellent pick-up for the Rockets. I don't think he'll start, or if he does, won't play that much just because of his age and the wear and tear on his body, but I think he'l' give us 20-30 minutes of play a night.

Of course, Nugget's fans may bemoan the fact that they essentially traded Keon Clark for a 2nd round pick.

18. kubli

kubli Member

Good numbers in the preseason for him also as far as rebounding and FG % go. This includes a 16pt 18reb game in 34 min. Welcome back Kevin.

19. Flying_4_ever

Flying_4_ever Member

How soon before we see in play with the team? Will he be ready to go for the rest of the preseason with the Rockets?

20. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

cept we also got williams, a pick and hopefully now ceballos.