1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Power Forwards to help the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEXCELANT, May 7, 2007.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Power Forwards pff. We need the Power Rangers!

If we could get a bruiser down low, ie a Boozer, maybe Yao's conditioning wouldn't come into question so often, but, who's really open this summer? I don't think there is a single guy on the market I'd like to bring to this team.

2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Darko Milicic would be a great choice

3. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I dunno what kind of shape hes in but how about Birdman, Chris Anderson? He used be to a high energy player before he got suspended.

4. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Here is a story from Clipper's Nation on Feb 22, 2007. Could be interesting. I wonder who they are thinking about dealing to get him.

Also according to Broussard, the Houston Rockets are coveting disgruntled Los Angeles Clipper Corey Maggette. However, Jason Reid of the Los Angeles Times reports this morning that the clips are making no major moves today (is trading Maggette a minor or major move?):

5. spankz141

spankz141 Member

This was in February so I'm thinking this article was before the trade deadline

6. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

i like boozer next to yao, reb machine and scoring machine with toughness

7. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

It was before the trade deadline but has anything really changed since then? Magette is still pissed off at the Clippers about his lack of playing time. He has personality clashes with Dunleavy. Rockets still are in the same boat as back then and still looking for a Power Forward. Magette would make the Rockets a very interesting team.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...but still wouldn't solve either of their biggest weaknesses from this season-not that I wouldn't want Magette, but he isn't a pressing need.

I think to save ourselves the frustration through the long long offseason, we need to be realistic. Our ideal situation is a tough PF who boards, plays good helpside defense, and can hit a mid-range jumper - a bonus if they are a bit of an athlete so we can match up to small ball teams if needed. Remember, teams who want to double Yao need a player to keep them honest and make them pay - that's the only reason Howard still has value is because of his mid range jumper. Hayes gives us some rebounding help, but he's too short(is it too late for a growth spurt?) to give us too much defensive help. Although he is a great role player, I think he is better coming off the bench and we upgrade Howard with someone who is younger and can give us decent rebounding/defensive production. Oh ya, we have to be able to afford him too...

That being said, Troy Murphy probably makes some sense here and might be obtainable as he has played poorly since he was on the verge of breaking out a few years ago. Mcdyess may be an option too although I like him more as a bench player at this stage in his career than a starter. Mikki Moore would be good too but he is coming of a great year and will likely cost too much for the Rockets. Darko may even been a good fit, but he is likely to command too much money based on potential alone. I still believe he hasn't been utilized well yet and if the Rockets can pick him up at a decent cost, he might be a good gamble depending on the coach. Same with West - if we could pry him out of the Hornet's hands, he would be great.

...if I were having a wacky dream, the Rockets would sign Francis, Dolan would give Isiah the green light to trade again, and the Rockets could offer Francis back to Isiah for David Lee....just kidding Isiah isn't that dumb - is he?

....the thing is the Rockets need to decide on a coach ASAP because it will effect the type of personel you should be looking for in case some crazy coach comes in and wants to use Yao in the high post or something...

9. Aus_Rocket

Aus_Rocket Member

What about Travis Outlaw??

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Cory Magette would give us some scoring punch 15-18 pts a game and about 6 rebounds a game. He's only 6-6 so he's a basically a Chuck Hayes who can score. He's an upgrade but I would definately go for someone with more size. I like the McDyess idea. He's big but he's 33 years old. I suppose that's not over the hill yet but it's getting close. I still like Sheldon Williams..now if only we can get the Hawks to part with him. We have a better chance at teams that sucked last year. Memphis, Hawks, Clippers, Knicks, Pacers and Sonics will all be looking to make trades.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

If you didn't know Maggette's a swingman.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

..oh ya, two more I forgot to mention that others picked up on and I will agree - Luis Scola & Drew Gooden. I heard Scola is pretty good although I'm not sure what type of deal we would need to bring him over.

Gooden has all the skills to be a great fit in Houston, but he seems to be a bit of a knucklehead. He doesn't play very smart and sometimes gets himself into trouble with stupid fouls or just losing track of his man on defense. When he is commited & focused he is very good but getting him to that point is a whole other story...I don't necessarily like him, but I am intrigued by him...

13. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I knew that. Magette can flat out light it up when he wants to. His last 3 games of the season he averaged over 20 points and 11 rebounds a game.

14. Whoop92

Whoop92 Member

Dang...I posted this exact thing last Saturday...either we are on the same page...or you are the only one who read it....LOL.

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Man Troy Murphy is a slow dude. Don't you want some speed and jumping ability on this team?

16. Whoop92

Whoop92 Member

If we want to take a chance on a high risk but possibly high reward guy...what about K-mart. When he's healthy....he's a monster...but when is that?

He might be obtained cheaply....if you don't count the nearly $60 million he's still owed by the Nuggets....

We might get him for Juwon and Sura seeing as they'd love to unload him and his ugly contract...shoot...we could get them to throw in their #1 pick too....or JR Smith as our new 6th Man.

17. Whoop92

Whoop92 Member

I'd rather have the floor opened up for Yao and Tracy...if he can camp the 3pt line and take Rafers shots...I'm happy.

18. tmacattack131

tmacattack131 Member

I think our most realistic option is Mikki Moore (if he is an URFA). Mikki Moore's very athletic, he rebounds, blocks shots, and most importantly can hit the open mid range shot. He can fit into a half court offense and he can also play in small ball situations (although he's not strong enough to bang with centers).

19. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Antonio McDyess

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I always wanted this guy- but many are scared of his attitude / game...

Do you think it would take more than Juwan level money at 6.5 mil per season to get him? Could he be gotten for the mid level? Do you think he would present chemistry issues? Magloire is really strong-we really need a banger to help Yao-IMHO.