1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need Steve Francis/Mike Bibby at PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gutter, May 6, 2007.

1. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Actually, I don't care who starts between Stevie and Rafer. As long as we have them both. They could split the minutes right down the middle, or Rafer could even play more since he doesn't turn the ball over like Stevie, and I think he's a smarter player, but Stevie could add the scoring punch we need if given the opportunity.

2. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

we may not have better on defense but we probably would have scored more points than them, allowing us to win. :) remember to win you need to score more points than your opponents. (suns mentality FTW) haha

3. fr4nchis3

fr4nchis3 Member

just have Stevie come off the bench and be the 6th man. He could probably score around 13-15 ppg.

4. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

No, Rafer's a PG playing PG. Really. His skill set is pure PG: passing, handles, steals? That's PG play. JVG, however, wants a scoring PG a la Mike James. He wants a guy who "shoots more triples than dishes assists"; Rafer has to adapt to something he's not good at (shooting). Now Head? Yeah. I agree with you there. Head's a catch-and-shoot guy; he's the kind of bench glue guy that a lot of teams need. But with how loaded we are at the 2, I argue that we don't need him. I like Head, but he could become good trade fodder.

5. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I should mention that I'm not excusing things; that Skip can't adapt is why he shouldn't be our starter.

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

I like Bibby, can we get him?

7. drich

drich Member

bibby can opt out and francis will get a buy out more than likely still can happen

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

no we aren't getting bibby, and steve francis is just horrible. steve francis is a poor man's mike james. at least mike james can run a pick and roll and spot up shoot. he's also a much better defender than both of them. i dont know why everyone wants francis so much.

9. Gutter

Gutter Member

I want Gundy out and Steve to be our starting pg

10. Gutter

Gutter Member

Naw man i rather keep tmac and get rid of some trash like alston and JL3 for bibby

11. tmacattack131

tmacattack131 Member

Either Bibby or Francis would be very intersting for the rockets.

Bibby obviously is one of the top point gaurds in the league and his three point shooting would be a huge improvment over rafer. Bibby also opens up options for pick n roll. Defenders would have to stick close to bibby or he will burn them with his J. On the flip side I've heard his defense is horrible, but i'd take him over rafer anyday. Although the chances of getting Bibby are slim to none.

Francis is really a gamble but he could give a high reward. For one (if Knicks were to buy him out and rockets signed him) will Francis be able co-exist with Tracy. Second: will he realize that he isn't the number #1 or even the #2 option. He'll control the ball throughout the game but come crunch time, it's time to let tracy go to work. Third: no turnovers, and good shot selection. Francis should constantly be dribble penetrating and finishing strong because he's strong enough and has the athletic ability to dunk it over PFs and Cs. I think Francis would be more than willing to return to Houston for the MLE and maybe even less.

(Bit off topic) but Francis' ideal backup would be chucky atkins. rockets would substitute dribble penetration with three point shooting.

C-Yao/Deke
    PF-?/Hayes
    SF-Battier
    SG-T-Mac/Head
    PG-Francis/Atkins

Francis alos has the ability to play the 2 should the rockets ever play small ball.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. Francis his a high energy guy and I can see him as the guy who comes in when the Rockets energy is flagging and he gets things going with a tough dunk in traffic. The other thing people are forgetting is how good he crashes the board and when the Rockets are having a hard time getting a rebound you have Francis come in and help crash the boards.

One other option I was thinking about was if Francis starts to move T-Mac to the point. T-Mac obviously has great ball handling skills and when his outside shot is going is far better outside threat than Francis. If T-Mac can't consistently get tough drives into the pain why not have him bring up the ball as a threat to drive or shoot and set up Francis.

13. deepblue

deepblue Member

Sorta except Bibby can dribble and shoot.