1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wang Meng: Rick Adelman closest candidate to succeed Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, May 6, 2007.

1. Char

Char Member

Wang Meng? Just a Chinese reporter who does not have any inside information.
    It's not a news.

2. vizier

vizier Member

either this guy can't understand chinese or he is trying to intentionaly mislead us.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

if weng meng was replaced with Mark Berman, then maybe...

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I honestly said after we lost, LETS GET ADELMAN.. absolutely perfect fit, to add an offensive minded coach

5. yxhbeta

yxhbeta New Member

maybe the insider source that wangmeng refers to is merely the speculation in some clutchfans' posts, and he makes it sound confirmed to chinese readers. and another clutchfan member who knows chinese takes it as true info and post it right here. and what i say is all my speculation as well.

6. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Hey no need to be rude. Pryuen has been a very valuable asset to this board and I have enjoyed his translations of various articles.

*Thank You*

I do hope what they talk about is true. In other threads I have been an advocate of Adelman and the Princeton offense. With Yao taking on the role of facilitator (ie. Divac, CWebb) with his passing and height he should be able to pick apart defenses. Then add his great shooting touch out to 15 or more feet. I dont want Yao to become a jump shooting center but I dont think it hurts to utilize him in both the low post and high post areas if we has the skills. Plus you expend less energy in the high post shooting jumpshots and that may help with some of his stamina problems.

This would be great news for TMac too. In the Princeton offense they were not as reliant on someone creating for others as long as they played within the system. Bibby & Christie never wowed anyone with their ball handling and passing. Plus Divac and Webber always racked up more assists than any of the guards.

J

7. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Did I mention it in my opening post....."Not sure how reliable ?"

Did I also mention this is for discussion/debate and seek the fans' opinion on whether Rick Adelman and the Princeton Offense is the right dose for the Rockets?

And WTF have I to intentionally mislead the fans here? :mad:

8. amathie

amathie Member

Considering both Yao and t-mac are monsters on offense, i think Adelman might be a good candidate.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I would be fine with this

10. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, the guy lives there in Houston and travels around with the Rockets, and is in personal good terms with Yao Ming and alot other Rockets players. He had had exclusive interviews with Carroll Dawson and other Rockets management. He even did the translation for Mutombo's posts on Mutombo's blog on tom.com. He is passionate in basketball, and well mixed with the media people there in Houston.

So how can you say so absolute to rule out any possibility of him having insider information? Just because he is Chinese ?? :rolleyes:

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Bring in Paul Silas

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's on record as having said he'd "see us next tuesday."

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

please explain???????????????????

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Oh Lord, please no. Don't force me watch this guy 82 games a year, please don't, I beg of you Rockets front office. Don't even interview him.

15. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Rick Adelman's Princeton offense would do these things:

1. Cover Yao's lack of foot speed and ball handling abilities by iso-ing him at the FT line or farther.

2. Utilize Yao's jumpshooting ability beyond the FT line.

3. Utilize Yao's passing ability and height.

4. It will allow guys like Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier, and whoever else is OK with cutting hard backdoor to the hoop, to have a lot easy looks (lay-ups).

5. Take a lot of pressure off T-Mac as the playmaker.

Our offense would be less stagnant with T-Mac out of the game, it would not be as easy to predict, it would cover a lot of holes in this team. The ball is easier to give to Yao at the FT line than down in the post. We can always post up Yao when we have to. I think all we need to go from there is hire a pitbull of a defensive coach to keep the team sound defensively and we're good. We do need at least 2 more athletes/scorers for sure though.

I say go for it, especially if he's really available and willing.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's a good explanation, but NO - you must figure it out for yourself. Google is your friend.

CLUE: it has to do with Yao's worst nightmare

17. heech

heech Contributing Member

How in the world did Rick Adelman get the tag-line of "Princeton offense"? He had Pete Carril on his staff of course, and he did adopt some back-door cuts and lots of movement without the ball... but Rick's offense was never really in any way the "Princeton" offense.

That said, I think Rick Adelman might be a great match. I was very impressed by the work he did with the Kings, and I think he'd use Yao in yet another very innovative way that many of us were calling for... putting him in the high post. This means Yao will have to relearn his jumper!

But if he's got the jumper working.. put him at the high post facing up, holding the ball high. The rest of the team (cue McGrady) are cutting/screening... Yao will make some pinpoint passes and get us some awfully easy scores.

And guess what, no easy doubles, and more keeping Yao from getting the ball by fronting either! Might be just the trick.

18. ericmark

ericmark Member

I wish Gundy did what you said.

19. yellaman

yellaman Member

yes!!! rick adelman would be the perfect fit! i dont care if this is a reliable source or not...rick adelman would be perfect. a true players coach who has experience, is tough, and will mold a team that will be fun to watch. bring on that new offense and mike bibby!

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

No, I agree. Adelman ran a high-low/motion combo. If anyone really ran a Princeton offense in the NBA, the board would hate it. It's extremely methodical, very predictable, and completely stifles creativity. It requires all players to set multiple screens and move well without the ball. When executed correctly, it gets a lot of really good looks, but it is very, very slow basketball.