1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Loretta...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, May 5, 2007.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I said that the first day they signed Loretta. Everett has been pretty much a waste of space in the lineup.

2. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Ya sure?

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You're going to argue Ensberg vs. Biggio based on play "down the stretch" and the playoffs? Don't make me pull out Biggio's career playoff record. It's woeful. And his annual fade in the 2nd half is legendary.

Loretta isn't going to replace either, though. He's going to get spot starts all over the infield all season, I believe, based on matchups and who's hot or cold.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It would be a whole lot cooler if we still had Huff.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The guy who's hitting .240 with Baltimore? He wasn't a big loss, imo. Didn't hit for average, didn't draw walks, and not enough power to make up for those faults. Another streaky hitter.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'd take him over Ensberg any day. Couldn't he also play the OF? I could be remembering wrong.

7. AggieRocketFan96

Of course. Why in the hell would the Astros not play the greatest defensive shortstop in the game today (whatever)? Just excuse his horrid lack of offensive ability. Just when you don't think he could be worse than his .230ish average from last year, now he is hitting in the .190s. Pathetic.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think he's agreeing with the reverse of what you said.

But I agree with you.. Loretta should never start at SS. I'll continue to remember a ball that was hit in the hole and I thought off the bat "sweet, maybe GIDP...maybe just a flip to 2nd cause it's deep"

Not only did Loretta not get to it...he was a good 2 feet from the ball when it went into LF. NO thanks.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't remember which game it was...I think it was at Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago, but playing him over Everett cost us the game.

11. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

loretta cant play SS, i think everyone can agree on that.

also nice to see Garner reward Loretta's 4 hits yesterday by benching him today. :rolleyes:

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ensberg was on base four times himself.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Dude im agreeing. Put Loretta in everyday. His glove is average but his bat is a huge upgrade over Everett. He might be the worst every day hitter in baseball.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then you are disagreeing.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Well how long you want this guy to bat .190 before you think about making a change? Berkman will hit, Lee will hit, and I think Scott will hit sooner or later so im not concerned about them but Everett is a huge red flag.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

As sure as you are that Berkman and Lee will hit, we can also be sure that Everett will come up to somewhere between .240 and .250 at minimum.

And if he does that over a season, I'd be fine.. would you?