1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to trade Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, May 6, 2007.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CK -

I agree with the premise - a team with Battier as its 3rd best player is not going to win big. I'm just not sure the solution lies in trading Battier. Realistically, are you going to get a better 3rd option by trading him? I doubt it. I only see two real ways - sign and trade, or a team looking to start over. For instance, if Rashard Lewis were to come available, and Seattle was willing to take Battier for him. Or if Sacramento wants to rebuild, they may be willing to move Artest plus the contract of Kenny Thomas or Abdur-Rahim for Battier, Sura's cap space, and an expiring like Kirk Snyder.

I'm just trying to think of what teams would really want him. Thinking outside the box, what if we did a reversal of last year- Minnesota wants help now, and could maybe use a big SF. Would they trade James and the #7 for Battier, or something similar? Maybe Portland, with 4 first rounders last year, would want a steadying influence in exchange for the #6 pick.

2. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

Battier has to stay; we need another scorer, a player who scores every game at least around 15 points. That's what we need. A reliable scorer.

3. xtint1n

xtint1n Member

i think we just need a point guard who can shoot really well.. then we're good.

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

who can pass and make all that wide open positions

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

who can guard and make layups as well

6. two-sandwiches

I hope this summer nobody tries to act like Luther Head is untouchable that was ridiculous.

Keep Battier and find a offensive/ defensive PF or PG.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yup, I agree with what you say definitely. The most likely trade candidates would be in a sign and trade or a cap strapped team. Both would want a quality player back, but maybe not the the same talent back. Bad apples would work too, but I'm so hesitant when it comes to that now. It has to be a slam dunk.

I am definitely more interested in the premise rather than the particulars at this point, and the particulars might very well be what comes to bite us in the ass.

I'd also like to say that this being Morey's first year doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I love Battier. The Rockets would have lost 10 more games had they not had Battier. He is, of course, valuable in a trade as well... but the problem is the Rockets are unlikely to get a someone who can help more than Battier can.

9. anitasri

anitasri Member

Trade Battier- for what we pay him and for what he does for us this guy is perhaps the model NBA player. High IQ, A Team Player and a guy who will do all the dirty things. Since when did he get to be our 3rd option? (meaning scoring)

We tried to play without a PF and PG that is playoff caliber- and unless we wise up and address that it is just another year with "band aids".

I love JVG but he plays favorites in the face of reality- and the results were obvious. I am not the one asking for JVG to quit- but if he still not interested in changing his decisions about players- we will still have the same issues. Luther head was badly exposed- and yet Kirk never got a decent shot. A tactical mistake or just plain blind mistrust? Bonzi Wells would have been a scoring option- but we just badly handled the situation and of course Bonzi was a bone head.

I would like to Pick a PF ( Tiago Splitter) and Get a good PG with Mid-level. We still have Sura's contract. In a funny way this loss should make us realize that without a strong bench we will be slaughtered. Maybe Grant Hill can be signed for the Minimum.

If JVG is not staying, I would rather have a Coach who matches talent to the system rather than the other way round. Our offense was way too predictible for Playoff basketball.

10. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

He must be kind, he must be witty; very sweet, and fairly pretty.

11. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Another "blame the good players for the loss" fallacy. :rolleyes:

By "3rd best player" most people probably really mean "3rd scorer." Well then of COURSE a team with Battier in that role isn't going to go all the way. Doesn't mean that Battier is bad though. He's a role player, but the ultimate role player. He hits his open shots with extreme accuracy, makes smart decisions, and plays lockdown team defense.

I find it amazing that people are blaming the Game 7 loss on T-Mac, Yao, or Battier, when Rafer shot 3-11 and was smoked by Deron Williams on the other end.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Hold onto Battier with white knuckles. Get help at the 4, 1, and get a legit scoring swingman off the bench.

Evan

13. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Blaming the better players is a stupid sports cliche (I'm sure the T-Wolves and Lakers are mediocre because of KG and Kobe :rolleyes: ) and isn't helpful at all. Maybe instead of pointing the finger at the players who actually provide this team with an advantage, you guys should recognize the team's real weaknesses and talk about how they should be addressed.

14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Unless you can get Josh Howard for him, why would we trade him? Our real need is a big point guard who can penetrate and dish, so we can bring Rafer off the bench. Battier is a great 4th scorer if we had someone who could set him up.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Worst thread ever.

Battier is more valuable than a third scorer. Those are found easily. Defenders the caliber of Battier are as hard to find as great centers. The fact that he's making MLE money makes him even better. He's a huge reason for the Rockets success.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I can't see Battier being the centerpiece that could land us a Jermaine O'Neal type-- that requires a young potential stud (like Bynum in LA). He may be enough to be the center of a bad apple with a bad contract deal -- like Zach Randolph. Maybe even Maggette straight up.

The other option may be to try and land an unproven, high potential prospect for Battier, similar to how Indiana traded Antonio Davis for Jonathan Bender, and later Dale Davis for Jermaine O'Neal several years back. The problem with that is, you're delaying another precious year(s) with TMac and Yao.

17. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Just for fun, I'll throw this out there. Hypothetically, right now, today--if we could have either one of these two assets on our roster--what do you think would be better trade bait? What would be more likely to fetch us a quality player?

A) Shane Battier
    B) Rudy Gay

18. bigben998

bigben998 Member

I have to second that motion. This is a terrible thread, if anyone needs to go its Rafer. Give me a break he is only the third best option on the team cause our point guard is the worst decision maker in the NBA, has no consistent offensive game, and has one of the worst assist to turnover ratios in the league. BOO!!!!!!!

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay could probably get us a Shane Battier. Shane Battier could only get us a Rudy Gay.

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Like Rudy Gay? I knew this would happen.

When they made the trade I was very suspicious that Battier was not even close to making up the talent gap.

But with Bonzi's signing, I thought, heck this might work.

Of course Bonzi was being his usual Portland-esque self and Van Gundy was his usual self.

After that went destructo, realistically, this team was going to hit a major road block.

The fact it was in the 1st round made my worst fears come true. We are on a treadmill to nowhere and the upside of Gay (even as a trade commodity for a veteran) was worth the risk over a decent role player who should never be any team's 3rd option.

And for those who say we would never have drafted Gay, it's precisely why our drafts have sucked badly the past 7 years other than a few lucky Ping Pong balls.