1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With JVG Going, Who Do You Want to Come In?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, May 6, 2007.

1. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

"Nelliball" doesn't and hasn't won any championships recently. It may be fun to watch, but when is the last time a run and gun ream has won a ring?

2. forebay

forebay Member

Is it possible to lure Phil Jackson from the fakers?

see whatever you want to say, but he is a winner. I think he is the missing link for both Yao and TMac's pursuit of that elusive ring (or second round first!)

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No coach can make us like the Suns with the players that we have. I would like to have a PG like Deron and a SF/PF like AK47 who can fit in a half court setting and be productive for a team like ours.

4. Sextuple Double

My preference is in this order:
    Phil Jackson (with a squad built for a title, I believe he can be lured from LA)
    Rick Adelman
    Stan Van Gundy
    Mario Elie
    PJ Carlisemo
    DaDakota
    Larry Brown (If you're a Vspan/Novak supporter, you might really want to keep away from this)
    Luffy1

5. heech

heech Contributing Member

Rick Adelman or Del Harris seem like solid choices, to me. I think they're both solid coaches. I don't know about having another Van Gundy here.

Or, how about we reach into the college ranks? Ben Howland @ UCLA would be a very solid choice, IMO.

6. johnrox

johnrox Member

what makes you believe that

7. Sextuple Double

He'll turn his back on that team quick for a quick ring. NBA coaches can be 2-faced like college/NFL coaches too.

8. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

I think its gotta be Adleman, he is used to playing with a proficient passing big man and has had some top level experience.

9. sohrab

sohrab Member

Good Lord why do people talk out of their ass so much here?

Rudy T as assistant coach? Rudy T X and O oriented? Hakeem leaving Jordan to be an assistant coach?

WOW! WHAT IMAGINATIONS!

Be freaking realistic.

10. two-sandwiches

Whats wrong with Carlisle?

I like Adelman but I our defense would suffer wouldn't it?

Ivaroni could make Yao move faster?

Yao needs more zone and a defensive and offensive PF to help him out not a track team!

Phil Jackson is just not my cup of tea....I don't like any coach who thinks he is bigger than the team...this was JVG's downfall wasn't it?

I'll take Carlisle. Or the best young talent evaluator and cultivator out there.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

This year a run and gun team will win a ring.

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

My Picks, In Order of Preference:

1) Phil Jackson: Lets Face It, Shaq & Kobe were accused of never being able to win until PJ took over there. He could make out big 2 the next Shaq & Kobe with the triangle offense, IMO.

2) Larry Brown: Forget about the debacle in NY. This guy wins wherever he goes. Imagine what he could do with some actual real talent.

3) Rick Adelman: Because it would be fun to watch exciting basketball again. So exhausted of Half court offenses we have had the last many years...

I like Elie, but I think he is more Asst. Coach material right now. Give him some time and he will be up there.

Just my two cents...

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Phill Jackson.

I hate this guy but I think the triangle offense suits Yao and McGrady the best.

14. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Absolutely, but what makes you think PJ will leave LALA land to come here???

15. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Donnie Nelson. (Son of Don Nelson, GM of Mavs right now).

16. adoo

adoo Member

ditto

if Les is serious about getting the ring within the 2 years, PJAX is the only one capable taking the current Rox roster, w minor adjustments, to promise land.
    Del Harris is a great assistant coach. As a head coach for 3 yrs, he could not take a team, w Shaq and Kobe on the roster, pass the first round of the playoff.

17. adoo

adoo Member

he is excruiating frustrated w the Laker team. and he is committed to break the tie w Red Auerbach. he wants that 10th ring badly, and his time is running short. no NBA team, in their right mind, would be willing to help (via trades) the Lakers

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Get over yourself. He's a fan and wants fan favorites. Stranger things have happened.

Keep Phil Jackson away. Letting him win a ring riding Yao's coattails only further lessens the credibility of the Rockets' championships in other people's eyes and will perpetuate the myth that the guy is a top three all-time coach.

Rudy + Del Harris + Mario coaching staff. Calvin and Mutombo in the announcer's booth. Get it done.

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Come on. Kobe wasn't even old enough to drink yet. Jackson could have slept his way to those rings.

20. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

I was never all that crazy about those Sacramento teams.
    Phil Jackson sounds like the best fit if we are not breaking up Yao/TMac.
    I would also be happy with Elie, Rudy T, Del Harris or that Ivaroni guy.