1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atkins, Billups, or Bibby?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jpsamhyz, May 6, 2007.

1. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

This is not a Rafer-hating thread. It's obvious that we need improvement at PG. Chucky Atkins, Chauncey Billups, and Mike Bibby are the three free agent PG this offseason that may be able to help the Rockets.

Atkins: 32yr old undersized (5'11") FA PG. Decent 3pt shooter. He said the Rockets are intereted in him a couple of weeks ago. Shouldn't demand more than MLE. Most feasible option, least upgrade compared to Billups and Bibby.

Billups: 30yr old all-star. 1 yr 7M left with an early termination option (ETO), and will definitely test free agency. THE PERFECT PG for the Rockets. Played on a MLE-type contract over the last 5 years, he will demand one last big contract of his career. As an unrestricted free agent, sign-and-trade is not an option. The Rockets have no cap space for him at the moment. I have always suggested pay-cuts for Tmac (who owns a private jet and a house which has a basketball court, both of which requires a lot of maintainance cost) and Juwan (who, once had the one of the highest salary in the NBA, reportedly stole a sunglass). Some people say the CBA does not allow such paycuts. Any capitologist who can give a definitive answer? Any other idea how to get Billups if possible at all?

Bibby: 28yr old top PG. 2 yr 28M left with an ETO. May not necessarily enter the free agency market considering the remaining lucrative contract. If he does, he will demand a pretty big contract to replace the 28M. A decent PG option for the Rockets, Bibby has two major weaknesses: a) an average defender, b) had a sub-par season, particularly shooting-wise (could be partly due to the lack of talent at Kings, which forced him to take a lot of tough shots). If Bibby decides to test FA, this option is not much easier than the Billups option. One difference is that unlike Billups, Bibby hasn't won a championship, so there is a slight possibility that he might settle for less money to play for a team in contention (although the on paper the Rockets doesn't look like a contender based on the last 3 year's records). David Aldrige has touched on the Bibby-Rockets possibility on TNT.

Any other idea how to get any of the three? Or other free agent options?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We cant land a Bibby. But if we could we'd have to forfeit players like Hayes, Head, Battier, and many valuable draft picks for years to come. We'd have to sit back and wait to rebuild our even further depleted bench. Is it worth it? Probably...

3. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

From the way the market is, to our roster and cap situation the point guard position will without a doubt be the hardest to fill. The best thing we could hope for is someone to come in and challenge Rafer for the starting spot and minutes and at worst we would have a decent backup that can handle the ball.

Aitkins might be the one guy who would fall within MLE range although i dont want to overpay for him. he got 12 points a game on the worst team in the NBA.

4. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

If we could land Bibby or Billups, I would be absolutely giddy about next year. Along with a new coach of course.

Atkins, I couldn't care less about because he did not even start for the worst team in the league this year (record wise). He won't come here and make us a championship-caliber team.

5. Whoop92

Whoop92 Member

We have Rafer, Sura and Vspan signed to play PG at more than $10 Mil a season...

not sure we can afford Chucky A for the $5 MIL he will probably get.

The other two will get $10 Mil + each from their teams...

Need to look elsewhere.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Atkins, Mo Williams, Mike James, and Acie Law are some of the few reasonable prospects. I doubt we land any of them.

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

No one wants any of our role players because they're bench fodder on most NBA teams. We sacrificed Rudy Gay to get Battier (which most people thought was the greatest move ever)

And although Gay would not have taken us to the next round, he wouldve been more marketable than Battier.

This year our draft pick is worth crap, we're over the cap, VSpan will probably leave (a complete waste of time for everyone involved), and Bonzi isn't going to be back.

8. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Billups is the perfect fit. But with our financial situation, probably impossible to get, unless he's willing to take a HUGE paycut just to flesh out our roster. We'd be genuine contenders with him.

Bibby is the next most interesting prospect. His game fits our team, he's shown that he's not afraid to step-up in the playoffs. But is he a good enough set-up man? He seems more of a gunner to me. In fact, Bibby reminds me of Billups pre-Larry Brown. Regardless, Bibby's probably more gettable, but still a longshot.

Atkins is a career backup. We already have a career backup in Alston. Why would we want another player like that?

9. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

ACIE LAW. TRADE UPPPPPPPP!!!!

Atkins, reasonable. Nothing better, it seems.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Billups ... no doubt!

11. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Some scouting reports say Law has only college 3pt range, not NBA range, which worries me a bit.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As someone who as seen sooooooo much of Acie... I agree completely. He doesnt have NBA range. But is that such a crime?

13. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

May be not. The Bulls always seem to find a way to give Luol Deng an open mid range shot. If we can do the same thing with Law, then it should be fine.

14. jinyaomac

jinyaomac Member

I vote Bibby... People forget how good this guy is.

15. vizier

vizier Member

16. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

No, thanks.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Why would Billups take a paycut to come here? He can get paid and stay with a legit contender like his current team.

18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i've come to the realization that any PG who comes here won't be able to play up to their potential as long as JVG is the coach. like others have touched upon how JVG micromanages things so much, and makes players afraid to step outside of the role he designates for them.

i dont think that would be a problem with billups, but i could see atkins and bibby giving us only slightly more than rafer is right now.

19. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

There is a big difference in getting a shot off when you are a long 6'9 SF like Deng, versus a short PG.

20. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

If I were Les I will try to get Bibby even if we have to give up a lot. We have Yao and T-Mac without supporting cast and legit point guard we are not going any where.