1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's the role players that sucked

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benum, May 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. benum

benum Member

T-mac and Yao are great. No doubt about it. I don't blame them for a second.

The role players, however, is another story. They are pathetic! The game when only four rockets scored, and the game after that, and this game! We need a solid forward and decent bench!

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Good Point. :rolleyes:

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

first thread that has made sense all day

4. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

Well battier had 2 good games and both were the games when t-mac had double digit assists. Even though Luther was off most of the series, he still gets his shots in the fourth quarter. Isn't that what helped us in the regular season? That's why it makes no sense to me that they didn't get him the ball more in the fourth quarter when they needed big shots. And man Juwan Howard just needs to retire. He had one good game, and that's it, he had done his share for the entire series apparently. Other teams like the warriors and even the jazz had 8 men rotation and they can all just flat out ball. We have 2 guys and occasionally 3 when someone steps up. I may sound optimistic, but that gets me excited for next year considering a 2 man team could almost beat an 8 man rotation. If we make a few changes and bring in some actual role players then we can make some noise next year.

5. foo82

foo82 Member

It's not that our role players suck. We have TOO MANY role players. Besides Yao and Mac, you could argue everyone else is a role player.

6. waterflea

waterflea Member

Agreed. Battier is Ok. But Head played this series like another guy from that Luther in the regular season. He got my pass though as he is only a sophomore. (But heck, look at what a great player his former school teammate has become.)

No other role players on this team have an offensive game. If only we have another one player on this team who has his own play and can score 10pts a game. This series will have a different outcome.

I dont blame Yao and TMac because the Jazzes know this is a team of 2 man
    offense and collapse on them all nights long. They are in the 2 vs 5 situation for too long. While on the other end, you can't double boozer because other guys will easily hit their openshots or finish their layups.

7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i am amazed that CHUCK HAYES is a STARTER in the NBA. really think about that for a second. chuck hayes STARTS on this team.......

8. sun12

sun12 Member

They tried 3 years when T-mac was here, how do you still believe they can do it?

First year, they got Yao, T-mac, Sura, Wesley, Howard, R. Bowen. Sura is still on the payroll, Bowen is gone, Wesley is gone, Howard is old, All the role players are pretty much gone.

Second year, they got major injuries, new players, Alston, Head was drafted

3rd year, they got Battier, Alston, compared with the first year, they didn't really improve that much.

The owner is not really interesting in spending money. There are major holes on this team.

9. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

AGREED...role players suck..look at the #'s of tmac and yao..

10. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Our scrubs...i mean, role-players - just aren't capable of getting it done.

11. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Aside from Shane, none of the rest of our players would be considered starting-caliber players on practically any team in the league. People around here tend to vastly overrate the talent of our players

I like the leadership Juwan brings. I love Chuck's hustle. I like Alston's ball-handling skills. I like Luther Head's (regular season) shooting ability. However, on a championship-caliber team...guys like these would be coming off the bench. They'd be an excellent second unit to have.

These playoffs exposed our team's weaknesses. McGrady's slightly over the hill. Yao's more or less peaked. In essence, we have two second-tier level superstars on our team...both of whom have been injury prone the last few years. We need more talented starters if we expect to go deep into the playoffs.

12. dividend

dividend Member

I would have agreed with you two years ago, but our stars get credit for wins and take blames for losses. T-mac should have kept his mouth shut instead of putting more pressure on himself by saying "it's on him."

also the reason why are role players suck is because our super stars are making a LOT of money that we can't spend on better role players

13. blender

blender Member

Head just could not play defense against the bigger Jazz guards, and his poor ballhandling skills make him a liability.

Hayes had one superb game and several excellent defensive stops, but overall, the dude does not have the offensive skills or the height to keep the pressure off Yao.

While both these guys played their hearts out this year, they need to go. But the problem is, it won't be easy to upgrade without trading other players.

14. AGBee

AGBee Member

These role players deserved to be thrown under the bus....pretty much useless in 7 games.

15. waterflea

waterflea Member

Even as good as Dream and Glider, they can not get everything done only by themselves saving the role players like Sam and Horry.
    If no one else stepped up and missed openshots as crappy as this in those series, Houston won't land two NBA Championships back in those years for sure. Figure it out!

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We got Bonzi, Stomile and Derek Anderson . . oH that is right
    they were not JVG-Type players so . . he buried them on the bench

Rocket RIver

17. hangxy

hangxy Member

The question is why the coach cannot develop role players?

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I wont blame too much on the role players. Yes, they didnt play well in the playoff. But they were also stuck into the situation.

Shane Battier - play on his regular season level plus some, no complain.
    RA - He's ok.
    Chuck Hayes - he's a 8th man the Rockets play as a starter.
    Luther Head - he's a 9-10th man at best the Rockets play as 6th man.
    Juwan Howard - It's sad to say he's the 5th best player in the Rockets. But he should be a 8,9th man in rotation.
    Deke - backup centre.

all the other players are in the doghouse.

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

the chances of role players not playing great are increased because of the limited number of role players the Rockets have.

I think JVG should have played Vspan, Lucas, Novak, and Snyder a lot more during blow outs. he stuck with a small rotation, and it bit him in the end.

20. bluepart

bluepart Member

Battier is great too.
    I agree other players are sucked.