1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 5/5/2007 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 7)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 3, 2007.

1. Zinc

Zinc Member

Ok, the season is done, Rockets got totally out-played, out-rebounded, out-hearted. But hey, they did fight to the end, althou came up short, they tried, did both coach and players. Let's start keeping an eye for the offseason, there is something gotta be done, I don't care what it is gonna be, this team needs more athletism, and more heart.

2. email2003

email2003 Member

Whatever. Another V-Span failure we don't need. :mad:

My friend just called me from outside the Toyota Center parking garage and he just saw Fisher and Boozer in their car coming out and and driving off. He said they were smiling a lot.

God we suck! :mad:

3. mag

mag Contributing Member

This is completely on JVG. He picked all the players in this team and he has not been able to do anything. Last year was a chance to pick a good young player to develop this year and be ready for next year, but he opted to go with Battier and mortgaged the future of this franchise.
    A lot of people in this board like Battier but in my opinion we need playmakers and not people that disapear in the playoffs.
    He is a nice player, but we should have never given away a first round player + other players for him. I am really disapointed with JVG and the front office.

4. Jacky

Jacky Member

Can't agree with you more!
    I was always wondering why JVG put Snyder on the bench in nearly all series.
    Some thing must be changed....

PS: Bonze Wells must be laughing in one corner. (I don't like him.)

5. email2003

email2003 Member

Actually Bonzi is at home siiting on his couch getting even fatter and laughing his azz off that we lost. :mad: Hope you choke on that Pringles chip you fat lazy SOB. :mad:

6. email2003

email2003 Member

[​IMG]
    We sure did....................... :(

7. LostInVA

LostInVA New Member

Jazz fan here. I'm not here to troll, just offer some insight into your team from an outside point of view.

I would not blame Yao, TMac or JVG for this loss. I think Yao is still the best center in the NBA, and TMac one of the best wings in the NBA. (I wont bother arguing between TMac, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, etc.) Let's just say he is as good as any of them. Those guys are good. Coaching is good too. I like JVG for his hard-nosed attitude and emphasis on defense and fundamental basketball.

What you are hurting is in the rest of your players. Battier is the only other player on your team that I would call "above average." I really like him too. Several times this season I would've traded AK for Battier straight across. As Houston fans, I'm sure you love all of your players, but Alston, Head, and Hayes are just not up to it.

Here's the best example of this. Hayes and Utah's Millsap have a very similar game. Undersized power forwards that use energy and toughness to rebound and do the dirty work. I love Millsap, so when I say that they are quite similar, I'm praising Hayes too. I was impressed with his game. But in Utah, Millsap is a 15 mpg bench player. In Houston, Hayes is the starting power forward getting close to 30 mpg.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I don't think you guys need to blow anything up. You have some very good, nearly dominating pieces. You just don't have enough of them. You were clearly better than Utah in two positions. But those two can't do everything. Adding a good point guard would go a long way.

I think it is a real tribute to TMac, Yao, and JVG that this series went so far. I don't know what your contract situations are, but I'm sure you will add another piece or two over the summer. You should be even better next year. I'll see you in the playoffs again, I'm sure.

8. patlabor1

patlabor1 Member

The last play by play could sum up the Rox's season:

End of game.
    HOU 1.0
    Yao Ming missed Mini Hook Shot

[​IMG]

9. rocketsmetalspd

Thanks for point of view of the Rockets but if JVG would have developed a bench or allowed for a bench to be developed things could've been different. JVG will not be here next year and the team will be some changes and yes we will meet again.

10. email2003

email2003 Member

Are you really a Jazz fan!?

Tell your team to quit FU CKING FLOPPING LIKE DICK HEADS!!!!!!!!! :mad:

11. jordan_123

jordan_123 Member

no nba for me till next season.i'm done watching the playoff

12. testmojo

testmojo Member

Before the game, I can sense many people in this board don't expect rockets to win. Yeah me too. I predict rockets lose by 1 but utah just play on fire and didn't give many chance to rox. In this game you can rarely saw rockets player except tmac driving to the paint. Why can't alston, hayes do that? On the contray, Utah near drive on every position. However this is a fun game to watch.

13. Jardinero

Jardinero Member

Thanks for the comments LostInVA.

As for the flopping...meh. I'll take a few (and there really were very few) flops over those moveable Stockton screens everyday. In the final analysis, we lost because we only had two players. Utah fans had to take it as a victory anytime a Rocket other than TMac or Yao took a shot this series. There was no reason to fear anyone other than the big two. Game 7 was a hard fought, clean (only 18 total turnovers) game, and we got outmuscled, outplayed, and outlucked. It's a tough one to swallow for sure, but in the end the team with the better balance, better bench, and (slightly) better coach won, as it probably should be.

Imagine how ugly it would have been without Dream's good juju in the building.

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

ok, does anyone, like me, want yao to stay in the US and work w/ hakeem in his summer offseason thingy like okafor did?

hakeem had some of the best moves of all time for any type of player. and the great thing is he kept the defender "guessing" rather than knowing what his next move is, unlike yao in this series.

i think yao should stay and work w/ hakeem. not just offense, but defense too.

15. Jacky

Jacky Member

Yeah, although we lose finally, our men did not give up when left behind for up 10pts. We'll be back next year.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I agree that our player developement has been horrible. Either we are drafting poor players not worthy of developing, or we are making poor decisions in the way we develope them.

The Battier trade would have been good if he was the 5th of 6th best player and we really were ready to win now. Unfortunately he is like our 3rd best player. I like Battier alot, but he isn't likely to ever be any more than he is now, where Gay has the potential to be alot more even if it takes a while.

Our roster doesn't have any rotation players are likely to signifcantly improve from now til next year. The younger players didn't get any play time and the rotation players are what they are. The better teams draft and develope a Josh Howard, or Ginobili or Leandro Barbosa and the best we have done lately is Chuck Hayes and Luther Head.

Bottom line is we need a consistent 3rd scorer and we need all of our starters to have the ability to do more than just hit layups and set shots via assists.

17. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

The heart-broken Rockets..................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lack of a power foward really hurt houston. Howard and Hayes were just not big enough and talented enough to compete with Boozer. Besides TMAC and Yao Rockets lack a CONSISTANT 3rd scoring option. Perhaps a go to guy whom is a outside shooter like wesley person or Mike Miller or even Kyle Korver. Who can just flat out knock down shots when you are down. ;)

Back in the old days of the 2000~2001 Lakers, they had Kobe and Shaq of course but don't forget they also had clutch shooters like Glen Rice, Robert Horry. A 3rd scoring option have to step up and help houston. :mad:

Having Yao guarding Boozer was a total mismatch. Boozer was way too quick for Yao and possiblely stronger inside. :confused:

Give props for Boozer to come out strong. The power foward is what really killed the Rockets. They also couldn't stop or at least detain Deron Williams driving to the basket. :eek:

Ah well..... wait for another year to see if McGrady was even meant to pass the 1st round in his career. :rolleyes:

BTW, don't blame on JVG, not the coach's fault if the players can't make 3s or come out with the right play. Play poker you need good cards and JVG only had 2 aces... wasn't enough.

All right, time to root for the NETS and Vince Carter!!!! GO VC!!!!!​

[​IMG]

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't laugh. But I think the 2004 Kelvin Cato would have given Boozer fits tonight.

20. testmojo

testmojo Member

No, after this series I doubt anyone has real confidence on Yao. The game is winnable even rockets have bad bench. Yao don't have fire in him, he don't have confidence in him. He easily fold under pressure. His play really hurt rockets flow. always b****ing to the referee, be a man and hit damn hooks and dunk! Yes he got his points, but his game is not going anywhere. Yao is the best center in regular season and he will never be in next level as you imagined!