1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KT or Mason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, Oct 19, 2001.

Tags:
?

Which would you want as the starting pf this year?

1. KT

29 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Mason

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Someone else!! those guys are bums!!

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Let's say you are the gm and could use the medical exception to circumvent the salary cap and upgrade KT to Mason and give him a decent contract for 3 years or so.

KT + exception for a sign and trade of Mason.

Would you?

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Dangit, I voted for someone else. Pretend that I voted for Mason.

What do I expect to happen though? KT to start and the exception to expire or acquire a 6'10 backup C. The Rockets will never acquire someone that will add to the reduncancy at PF w/ Mo Taylor and Eddie Griffin.

I personally think Mason would bridge the gap to Griffin being ready rather nicely.... but I also think Mo Taylor would look nice elsewhere.

3. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

KT or Mason?!?!?!??! :eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

4. Rockettebustier

KT for the reason that Achebe gives about Mase creating a logjam at the PF. But more improtantly because Kenny Thomas runs the offense exceptionally well with Steve. I don't think Rudy would be allowed to do what he wants to do on offense with Mason. I just can't envision Mason setting that pick out high -- like Kenny and Mo do -- for Steve as frequentley as Rudy and Steve would like. Mase is more of low block guy who needs to recieve an entry pass from top. Our offense is not geared toward that at all, especially now since Olajuwons gone. Kenny knows the offense and understands how to use his strengths with Steve and Mobes right now. yeah so I say stick with Kenny.

5. red

red Contributing Member

mason...

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'd take Mason over Thomas and Taylor. Since we have Griffin now, we don't really need him. I only see Mason playing for a multi yr deal which I don't think the Rockets should give up.

7. Swami

Swami Member

HPD doesn't have enough man-power to protect our city against both Anthrax and Amase. :D Give me Eddie Griffin, Mo Taylor and KT (thats enough PF for me). I'd feel differently if I thought Mason would be good trade bait in the future, but I do not. IMO, we desperately need a 5/4 not a 4.

#7 Swami, Oct 20, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2001
  8. IVFL

IVFL Member

I would take KT before mase. Kenny is cheaper and younger than mason. If you remember Mason was not that good when he was kennys age. Mabey if Kenny keeps working on his game like he did this summer we will see good things

9. Yakeem ASunKing

Mase, like KT, is really too small to play four in the west. He is definately too small to play five (which is what I'm more worried about). Man, I really wish we could have made the Jackson deal work.
    KT is cheaper, I'm not happy about either one, but I definately don't want to give a long term deal to a guy that doesn't fit (Mason).
    Give Me Chucky Brown...............................................................................................

10. Yakeem ASunKing

(I'm not saying Chucky Brown can play five, or is at all what we need, but you know, Chuckys cool.)
    (and cheap)

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It's not even close. All you people who would rather have KT than Mason are crazy.

Mason is a tough, versatile, <b>all-star</b> power forward who can score, rebound the ball like crazy and most importantly, <u>can pass</u>.

All Kenny Thomas can do is hoist up brick threes.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Fadeaway,

In the East. :)

I don't doubt that Mason could play the 4 in the West-- I know he has the toughness. I voted for KT, however, because I think he's going to have a very good season this year. I think KT is being really underrated by the posters who don't see many Rockets games, including this year's preseason. KT hits the glass hard, has a good array of post moves, and is actually finishing this year in the preseason. He really has a lot more potential than some of you think.

By the way, if we sign another free agent, the one I would like to sign the most is Chris Gatling. I can't believe no one has picked up the guy! Some people have questioned his attitude, but if the Rockets have concerns about it, we could just sign him to a one year deal, and release him if it didn't work out. Gatling can play PF or C, and can score and rebound in bunches. When healthy, he may be the best 6th man in the NBA. He would definitely be a great big man to add, and could give us some punch off the bench.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well personally I would rather trade for Mason in a deal like this for say a 3 year contract or so at 3-5 mil a year.

Mase could thrive in this system, and give us post scoring, rebounding, and D all in one package. And Mase is big enough to guard centers. Shaq, Dike(if you think you need to guard him), Zo, and maybe David Robinson being the exceptions. I'd feel a hell of a lot better having Mase guard a c every once in a while than compared to KT. The only thing that worries me would be the attitude, but I think he could keep it under control, as he did all of last year. And by the time Griffin is ready to excel(and Mo is back at full strength), Mason would be a quality back-up almost ready to come off the books.

BTW, isn't KT a fa after this year? IF he does have a big season he might decided to sign with fegan( ;) ) and go somewhere where he knows he'll start. That worries me a little, but obviously not that much at this point.

Cat, I wouldn't mind Gattling as a back-up, but I don't know if he can accept not being a black-hole on offense.

That's cuttino's job :p

#13 CriscoKidd, Oct 20, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2001
  14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

D. KT & Mason

15. Lobo_Louie

Lobo_Louie Member

I have to say KT considering his head is more aerodynamic.