1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Headline: “JEFF VAN GUNDY FIRED!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 5, 2007.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Just stop right there.

T-Mac is all talk. No killer instinct, at all. Twice in three years, he wins the first two games, then loses the series. I didn't wanna believe it, but it's true. A guy can have all the talent in the world, but if he doesn't put that talent to work in the right ways, it's useless. No one said being effective was supposed to be easy, Tracy. So quit taking jumpers. Oscar Robertson nailed it on the head.

What a waste of god-given talent T-Mac is. "Dominant player," you say? You must be joking. Wake up and smell reality.

2. sstww

sstww Member

Don't be too harsh to JVG...

I mean let him have a good rest tomorrow and he can pack and leave on Monday.

By the way, you missed to mention that we also had a guy in JVG's doghouse who beated the team USA.

3. TYAOC

TYAOC Member

I hate JVG, 3 yrs for nothing. :mad:

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

SIGN Elie.

Get it done.

5. Highwire

Highwire Member

Jeff Van Gundy quit already.

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Ah, Triangle Offense . . . That'd be a dream come true . . .

7. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

I think its time to fire JVG, it has been three years with no results. I love Yao but I think that the best thing for this team is to trade him to Minny for Kevin Garnett and another player. Yao is great but he is too slow for what the NBA is turning into. I think that this is the best chance for us to win a championship here. :mad:

8. goyao11

goyao11 Member

i still <3 JVG

i dont care what u guys say

9. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Yes, a couple of changes. The first is for the coach to go. He has to go. Somebody has to go. This will allow V Span some playing time and maybe even let a rookie play.

Just get someone else. Someone with an offense. And get a PG. The annoucers were saying Tmac handles the ball but the PG can't shoot the 3. He made a ton but man he missed a ton of wide open looks.

I hope Yao gets better next season because he is beginning to disappoint me.

Those last 3 rebounds was the game and he didn't get it.

Game over.

10. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

please..i dun wanna see Van Gundy next year. Please, get rid of him. I'm tired of watching T-Mac one on one, Yao one on one, and other's stand around watching. I'm tired of no driving basket. I'm tired inside-out..plesase, Les, do something to save your franchise and your money...We need Adelman and his motion offense. Please!!

11. Zach Kang

Zach Kang Member

Yeah agreed 100%
    If we play like this no heart? soft? Yao is like a bigger version of dirk, Tmac is retiring.
    Time for a change

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Don't forget that Les loves Larry Brown.

14. demon77

demon77 Member

This is the first time I'm actually agree with firing JVG. Sorry jeff, but not fouling on that last play is just too painful.........

15. Panda

Panda Member

JVG went to the finals in the Leastern conference about 10 years ago, woo hoo, big deal. Rudy T won two rings and still was canned(he resigned on the surface).

Get outta here JVG. He has no guts and was clueless the whole series.

JVG = no balls and no hair.

A little man with no guts to try anything new and different.

No wonder the Rockets are deflated in two game 7s, they have a coach with no balls, afraid of changes, they are a bunch of pu$$ies under a pu$$y coach.

JVG = fool's gold.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Did you watch that playoff series against the Heat? There were more miraculous shots than a pick up game featuring the 12 Apostles. Larry Johnson's 4 point play. Allan Houston catching on fire in Miami. And lest we forget, it was a strike-shortened season.

As for being an assistant...who hasn't done well when you're an assistant to Pat Riley? That's like saying, "Jim Cleamons has done quite well for himself as an assistant".

As for being a head coach, what's his record right now as a coach in the playoffs? .500?

So...what was the point of this "fact"? That it's better to get rid of people that has never gotten past the first round like McGrady and Yao and Battier and keep perennial playoff personnel like Van Gundy, Mutombo, Juwan "I HAVE to get my shots up even when we have a lead" Howard?

If he had more than 4 offensive plays than maybe...just maybe...we would have won. What was the point in drafting a skilled 3 point shooter in Novak, putting all that money and effort in bringing Spanoulis over here, signing a slasher like Snyder and get into a pre-season bidding war for JL3 when he fails to get them developed and get in sync with the team? Many teams that are still alive right now uses an 8 man rotation or even more than that.

"Well that's because our bench sucks" That's funny because if Phil Jackson can get production out of Maurice Evans and Jordan Farmar than Van Gundy can get production out of his bench as well.

Toughness is always needed from your stars but one look up and down the roster, there's not an intimidating presence on there. There's no "pit bull" that Van Gundy was pining for. You can easy pick the pit bull off of any playoff team but the Rockets? Ever since Sura was done, we haven't had one. Point being? Your team can survive if your star player(s) aren't tough, AS LONG AS someone on the team (who is playing significant minutes) can provide it.

17. amadeus

amadeus Member

Farewell ,8 man rotation.

Farewell ,bachlor! :mad:

18. amadeus

amadeus Member

Farewell ,8 man rotation.

Farewell ,baldy! :mad:

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

SOMEBODY TELL ME WHY WE WAITED SO LONG TO FOUL AT THE END?

THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN, DID IT? REALLY?

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Our big three just don't have the ingredients to get it done.

Mcgrady doesn't put in the hard work. He is our team but he did not put his will on this series...only picked his spots.

Yao is too easy to figure out down low. Hook shot when he turns right, fadeaway when he turns left. Good news is that can be improved. He started making the same mistakes he made his first two years in the league again too, bringing the ball down. He has to go up strong and dunk the ball.

JVG can't get this team motivated enough to want it. They are well prepared and disciplined, but that doesn't mean anything in the playoffs if they don't want it. Allowing the other team to get 2 or 3 shots per possession late in the game is not "wanting it".

Personally, I've been a JVG supporter and he's a good coach, but he's not right anymore for these guys. We need someone who can inspire these guys (wonder if Rudy is ready to come back).