1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim McIlvaine waived by Nets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by calbear, Oct 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. calbear

calbear Contributing Member

What do you think about him as a backup?
    He has 2 years left on a seven-year, $33 million contract though.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Why would we be paying that bill? Sounds like somebody else's problem to me...

Might be worth looking at for the minimum...

But he really hasn't been worth anything since his debacle signing in Seattle...

:)

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obviously, we wouldn't and couldn't pick him up until he cleared waivers. But, if we did pick him up after that, we'd only pay the minimum for him and NJ would pay the rest of his contract. His stats aren't too pretty, but he has some size and I suspect his stats were depressed from having to play for the Nets. If he's better than Ike (and I don't know if he is), than why not take him. Unless they have something brewing still with the med exception.

4. silent j

silent j Member

Rudy was really high on this guy as a possible backup to Dream before he signed that Gawdawful contract. The guy can block shots, board and clog the lane. Unfortunately he clogs the lane on offense, too. He's worth a low dollar contract.
    j

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If he can't make the sorry nets team, why would we want him. Can someone lock this thread please!

6. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

GM of Seattle Wally Walker signed Jim McIlvaine a few years back. It goes down as one of the worst acqusition ever in the Sonics Franchise history. The day they unloaded him to the Nets, they were greatly relief. The one thing McIlvaine does well is sit on the bench. If you put him in... no points, no free throw made, and no rebounds. I like Ike....McIlvaine is the great white hope, a whale trying to play bb. I am sure Seattle Fan's would be happy if Wally Walker would go way too. He's the one who got rid of Coach Karl...

#6 SCOOTER T., Oct 17, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2001
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jim McIlvaine is no Todd Fuller.

nuff said

8. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

CAN I GET AN AMEN PEOPLE!! Praise be. Anyway, why would we want the Nets garbage. They are the bottom of the rung. Except for Kidd, he's pretty good.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If he was waived, then you could pick him up for free, right? Afterall, aren't we still paying Maloney's contract? Furthermore, Maloney still hits our salary cap #'s.

So if the guy is free, why the heck not pick him up unless you just didn't have a roster spot for him. And I beleive we do unless you think Ike is better.

-krosfyah

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Nothing, and Nothing if you ask me.

11. IVFL

IVFL Member

from what I heard Jim is out of bball. I think they bought out his contract and he is no longer wanting to play. I dont know why, being a poor mans bill wennington is pretty cool if you ask me:rolleyes:

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

13. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I like Ike!

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I was hoping that this wasn't a thread about picking up McIlvaine.....and it is.

I am going to be sick.

:rolleyes: :eek:

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

bb...blurpp ughhhhergh!!!........sorry :eek:

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Dude, I love McIlvaine (Mattress Mac)! He's got a great furniture store, and he gives so much back to the community.

... What? Wrong guy?? Oooooooohhhh... Jim McIlvaine, not MacIngvale.

Nope, never heard of him. Sorry.

:p

17. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

A loser that gets cut by the freakin' Nets... no way!

Chris Gatling would be better. He can play the 4 too. He fits the runnin' game better than a plodding McIlvaine.

Rudy liked McIlvaine back when we were playing two man post up, I doubt he would like him for the new style offense.

18. University Blue

I think McIlvaine (or Todd Fuller) would be a great pickup for Houston. He is playoff-tested, provides legitimate size at the C position, and is a great shot-blocker.

It's true that NJ waived him. It is also true they traded away Marbury for Kidd (and Griffin for three average draft picks). I do not consider NJ management/coaching staff to be a reliable source of basketball talent.

(It's possible Byron Scott saw McIlvaine making a fancy, but accurate, pass in practice and decided that was not the way to play basketball on his team and decided to waive McIlvaine.)

University (McRocket) Blue

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Just say NO...he's never done much for me. I think we've really starting to dredge the Gulf for prospects...we should throw this one back--quickly.

20. Villain81

Villain81 Member

Another big dumb white guy.. isnt that the reason we have collier?