1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

greatness and toughness: MJ, Wade, Kobe, Iverson, TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 2, 2007.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I've watched this entire series on TV, but was lucky a friend offered an extra ticket to Game 5 that was 5 rows up near midcourt. Watching it on TV, it is clear that this series if physical, if not brutal. Watching the action 5 rows up, the physicality was really incredible. Tmac couldn't move an inch without someone bumping, grabbing, or slapping him.

He had a rough first quarter in terms of scoring, but I immediately turned to my friend and said, we're going to win tonight. Tmac looks like he will not be denied. That turned out to be true as he took the ball into the teeth of the defense time and again.

After the game, I got to thinking about how MJ had an indomitable (sp?) will and repeatedly took vicious fouls from the Detroit Bad Boys. But he never, ever let up. Ihonestly couldn't stand MJ in his hayday but now, i better appreciate just how great he was. Last year, Wade showed similar relentlessness in taking the ball to the basket (albiet in a less physical league, with less physical teams, and with the benefit of BS calls). AI, for all the faults in his game, has the same tenacity and physicality. he never backs down. to a lesser degree, Kobe shows that from time to time (but he is so gifted with his perimeter game, it's not as necessary).

This brings me to Tmac. Very rarely have I seen him exhibit the determination and iron will that he showed in Game 5. Frankly, I'm not sure if I've ever seen him do that in a Rockets uni. He has had great games, but in my opinion, that was the best he has ever played for us, considering the situation, opponent and the stakes.

Tmac has all the physical skills to be one of the truly great ones. This playoff run really is his opportunity to elevate his standing beyond just the talented. If he sustains what he showed in Game 5, i think he will earn a whole new level of respect. Game 6 will be very interesting because it is not truly do or die. I'm not sure that Tmac will be willing to pay the price and be relentless. I hope he will, but i also hoped that he would seize the opportunity in Games 3 and 4 to gain a stranglehold on the series.

In many respects, I think this series will tell me how far this Tmac/Yao combo can go. i do believe that Yao can and will play better ball. In other years, that alone may be enough to get us past round 1. But even then, we will not become true contenders until Tmac shows that he is willing to pay the price every playoff game.

Finally, this isn't really intended to be a post to bash Tmac. he is a terrific talent and I'd still do the trade with Orlando in a heartbeat. but with terrific talent comes potential, criticism and responsibility.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was court side at the game and I completely agree with you about how physical this series is. You just can't appreciate how nasty the Jazz are until you can get an up close look at how they mug Yao on every possession and push and hold McGrady.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If Yao and Tmac come out victorious in this series, it will only make them tougher. I expect them too. They are great players and people will always be gunning for them. Time to rise up beyond the physical plays. No one won the entire thing by playing against bunnies.

Talking about physical, the 93-94 Finals was absolutely brutal. Derek Harper had his hands all over Kenny Smith. If you tried to dunk, expect to land on your butt (ask Horry about Bonner). They sent everyone on Hakeem that series. As Reg would say, "they threw everything including the kitchen book and soup fork at Hakeem." Anthony Mason was pretty much allowed to grab, hold, mug Hakeem anyway he wanted. It didn't faze Hakeem though. He responded with some hard physical plays of his own.

That series was so physical, and such a mug-fest that the league had to step in and change the rules.

Oh yeah, Rockets prevailed.

#3 Zboy, May 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac has recurring back problems right? i'm not sure if that's true but i believe that is the case.

does MJ, wade, or iverson have any back problems? i don't think they do.

there is your answer why tmac does not penetrate like that EVERY game.

if u watch his first few yrs in orlando when his back problems were not as serious, he did this ALL THE TIME. he did avg 9.7 ft attempts in 02-03.

5. armyman789

armyman789 Member

BINGO! people need to learn this. T mac in orlando was otherworldly. Only MJ and Kobe(current one) are the only ones that u could even mention in the same breath as mcgrady.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

TMac is more Iron Man than Spiderman.

7. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

everyone will agree with you wholeheartedly if he can get us to the WCF or higher.

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I totally agree with you. The Jazz play football, they don't play basketball

While Tmac hasn't played great, a lot of it has to do with the phsyicality of Utah. Utah is by far the most physical team in the league.

It's safe to say if we win this series, the next series will be a big step down in phsyicality (especially if it's Golden State).

IF Yao and Tmac get through the line of scrimmage against Utah, they will be making plays downfield against Dallas or Golden State.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

He played amazingly in game 5

But I still have not forgotten game 4, and I'm sorry...but his heart had a lot to do with how he played, not just their "D"

I'm hoping and expecting him to keep playing like he did in game 5

10. youyou

youyou Member

i never understand why people say tmac has no heart. this guy wouldn't get such serious back problem if he hadn't pushed himself too hard.

11. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

Nicely said. And then we have the girly men who call Yao and Tmac p*****s, *****, pansies, etc. Right, I know these cowards are brave to do that when hiding behind their monitors in their holes (homes).

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

If you were referring to my post, I didn't mean that TMac has no heart. Look at the Dallas series a couple of years ago, look at when Yao was out, look at game 5 (as well as one and two).

TMac doesn't deserve the rep that he has. BUT, when he comes out and plays with no passion in games like game 4, it gives them ammunition. I can't recall seeing a bonafide superstar mail it in like that. But as I stated before, he came back in game 5 and will hopefully do so for the rest of the playoffs.

(and I don't blame the two losses on TMac, it is our role players that have to step up on the road as well)

13. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Couldnt have said it better myself.

It would be great if we won tomorrow.

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

u haven't seen a superstar mail it in like that?

kobe in game 7 of last yr? he basically stood out in the perimeter and just passed the ball around.

15. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

This is a great assessment! If you've ever played basketball - on any level -and played against a team that plays sloppy, dirty, and fouls a lot, you've probably experienced what the Rox are now facing. It's next to impossible to play your own style when playing a team like the Jazz. The closest team we've ever played was the Knicks when we won in '94. The Pistons have alway played a similar style.

The Jazz are the best team I've ever seen at dictating this style of play. As much as I hate Sloan :mad:, you've got to respect him as he's a master at ensuring the "style" of the game that's played.

Honestly, I think we'll pull out this series and assuming that GS beats dallas (the little d) and SA beats Phoenix, I think we'll win the WCF & quite possibly the Championship. SA is a great team, but we can beat them.

The Rox have the most problems when they can't play "their" game. That's why I'm scared to death of playing Phoenix (we can't keep up in a 7 game series). Chicago and Detroit both play a style that can and will frustrate the Rox, but even though Detroit has been there and Chicago has the talent - if we can win the west, I think we can and will win it all.

16. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

Or leading MVP candidate (in many people's opinions) Dirk Nowitzki basically admitting that he couldn't do anything against the Warriors. Then again, I don't really see Dirk as a superstar, but still, that has got to be the worst display of 'leadership' I have ever seen.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For whatever reason the refs have swallowed their whistles when it comes to how the post is defended as well as guys trying to move on the perimeter. I believe this was addressed on 610 also.

Basically, this Jazz team is playing 90s style ball and getting away with it while the Rockets were built to play with 2007 rules and are playing that way. And yes, the Finals vs. the Knicks is the first thing that came to my mind while watching Monday night's game.

18. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly. the reason ppl use "heart" and "passion" on tmac is basically he hasn't done anything in the postseason.

i mean, dirk is as invisible as a ghost except for 2 freaking minutes in yesterday's game.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I think some folks are missing the pont of this thread. Tmac is a terriffic player. No doubt. But we're talking about true greatness and toughness. Yes, he has a balky back. My back kills me allthe time with spasms and stuff, so I can understand those physical limitations a little.

However, from on a purely personal and selfish level, THIS is the time of year that Tmac should be willing to spill his own blood IF HE REALLY WANTS TO ESTABLISH A GREATER LEGACY FOR HIMSELF IN THIS LEAGUE. Last night, he wasn't quite as passive as in games 3 and 4, but was not nearly as determined and tough minded as in game 5. Perhaps it's being on the road. I don't know.

However, I do know that true superstars don't make critical turnovers when it's winning time. I'm damn glad we have game 7 at home, because that may just turn out to be the difference. But back to this thread - I am still left to wonder whether Tmac will show the elite toughness and greatness.

(I'll leave my thoughts about Yao for another day. He is just killing me this series. Killing me.)

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tmac needs to take off his fricken dress and put on a jock and lead this team.

No more wussy panty hose.....man up in a kilt if you have to......

DD