1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Beards - Start Growing Them!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emjohn, Apr 13, 2007.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This is a great way to weed out the fairweather fans. Would've worked great back in the 94/95 series vs the Suns.

I'm waiting til the final buzzer of the final game, even if it's inevitable.

Fans stick with their team, even at their worst. That's the point of it all. Otherwise, you need to follow the purple and gold or the pinstripes.

Evan

2. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Same here. I shaved before game 1 and started growing my beard out after that. As my beard has grown, the losses have piled on with the margin of victory increasing for the Jazz each day my beard has grown longer.

Well today, I have shaved it off. So the Rockets should win.... Go superstition!!!

3. Htown57

Htown57 Member

a hahahahahaha

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I agree, but there is a difference between sticking with the team and looking at it objectively. I don't think there is much debate that this team has been outhustled and outworked in these playoffs. None of our players have stepped up beyond what they did in the regular season, which is what happens on teams that make deep playoff runs.

I think almost everyone on this board loves the Rockets or they wouldn't care so much.

If you think criticizing the team means you are not a fan, then I think you are missing the whole point. Almost all of us live and die with the Rockets and want them to win badly regardless of how they've played. That doesn't mean they don't deserve criticism when they play poorly.

I certainly didn't bash the team a couple years ago because we lost to a better team, and we really didn't play terrible. We got beat by a team that played very well. This playoff season has been embarassing, and our team has given lackluster performances 4 games in a row. Luckily we were still able to pull the first couple games out and there is plenty of time to recover. That doesn't change the fact that this team needs to toughen up with a new team mentality for the rest of this series/playoffs.

5. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

what happens to golden state if Baron's beard hides a nest of song birds?

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think you misunderstand me. I've been calling this a must-win game as much as anyone, and am down on our Utah showings as much as anyone. Criticizing the team =just fine, they deserve it. But shaving the beards = calling it a day. Saying that you're ready for the team to lose so they can fire JVG = packing it in as a fan.

Packing it in before it's over /= fan.

I shave when it's finished. It's the point of the beards. I'm not giving up on the team, even if it's inevitable. I'm not selling my tix to tonight's game, regardless of if I think they're doomed or not. I'm going and cheering. If they get pasted in the first half, I'll still stand and cheer the second half. It's over when it's over.

Evan

#46 emjohn, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Haha .. I get it and agree with you.

Cept I would shave to change our luck at this point ;)

8. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Yes, once again the shaving of my beard has resulted in a rockets victory. I'll let it grow again until Thursday and shave it off again.

No beard for me = rockets victory!!!

9. armyman789

armyman789 Member

b*stard principles at my skool made me shave mine. They give me a 2-blade razor! and i had to pay to use it!!! this is blasphemy!!!

10. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I didn't shave, but I did drink my Zimas!

Game 1: 5 Zimas
    Game 2: 2 Zimas
    Game 3: 0 Zimas
    Game 4: 0 Zimas
    Game 5: 5 Zimas

SEE A PATTERN HERE?

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Exactly. My beard went away, but I started growing it in December, so it wasn't exactly a "playoff beard."

The dye job on the Rox logo on my head did the trick, though! ;)