1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Simple: Head and Howard need to stop choking.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by montgo, Apr 30, 2007.

1. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Sloan is a master architect and just imagine for a moment, if Utah had McGrady instead of Kirelenko and Yao on his team. Could you imagine Utah? I dare say this series would be over!

My point with this observation is simple. We are being shown up by a system yes, but being beat by 2 of our own (Head and Howard)--yes Williams is a nice player and Boozer is fair imitation of Malone. But, Utah's only saving grace through this series is the disappearance of Head's three point shooting and Juwan Howard's 10-15ft jumpeshot. Both these guys accounted for 16-20 points per game on average through the season and this is gone now--the scoring difference shows in the final score. We are getting 4-6 points per game combined. Both are blowing wide open jump shots and close to the basket opportunities that both made with regularity through the regular season.

I know there are some who will contend that Utah's defense is taking them out of the game. However, let's face it, leaving 2 players open is not taking them out of the game. Occassionally, they are running at Luther when he sets, but come on, do not tell me this is the major "Ah Ha" of the series. More than half of his attempts are not even being contested--it is impossible since they are hanging all over Yao and Tracy. With Howard, it is worse, they are not even defending him. He is being left alone to clank his shots. Talk about creating your shot--McGrady and Yao are creating both Howard and Head's shots and they are choking. Yes, you hear me right: Head and Howard are choking!. Ah, remember the days when teams would double-down on either McGrady or Yao and we made them pay dearly with Howard's accuracy and Head's 3pt assault? That was just 2-3 weeks ago!

The greatest part of this story is that both of them can rise up and become heroes in this series. All they have to do is hit their averages and we win going away. The answer to this series is really simple: Howard and Head. You get them going, this series is over. They lose their choking streak and we win this series on Utah's homecourt. Jerry Sloan's system is fun to watch and captivating, but we are our own worse enemies and Tracy needs to do more than inspire Head and Howard.

#1 montgo, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. dookiester

dookiester Member

amen. juwan's jumper has been MIA since about the last fourth of the season and head is probably stone cold stunned watching his boy deron performing the way he wishes he could. forget your slump, go out and play, and do what you do best: knock down shots.

ps luther: try not to get abused by harpring. man up and push him out. i know he's 2x your size but sacrifice your body for once.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Head is embarrassing himself.

Howard is letting the team down.

Hayes is doing awful.

McGrady has not been the star he has to be.

Yao has not fought through or raised his game to match the defensive intensity he's facing.

Battier has been okay, but far from what we need offensively.

Rafer's been Rafer, and sadly that's been better than most of the team overall.

As a whole, this team was horrifying in Utah and should be ashamed for letting Utah swing momentum fully in their favor. If they couldn't split the Salt Lake games, they needed to at least keep the Jazz from getting confidence. Now the Jazz feel they can take us apart and we're on our heels. Terrible, terrible, terrible showings by the team.

Evan

4. Fuse

Fuse Member

Its time to start taking chances and being innovative. Although having said that, I can't see JVG doing anything different in game 5.

5. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Howard and Head is a big time choker in the playoffs. It's true. Even with them MIA, we have won. We'll win again tonight, even if Head and Howard disappear.

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

those guys do need to step up,

but McGrady is the one that needs to show up and earn his money tonight.

7. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

oh, do not leave the Bonzi factor out of this either...We held a roster spot all season for this schlepp. His failure is a factor here too...think about our bench...what do we have after Head and Howard? I keep forgetting....Bonzi....Boy, it would be nice to have his form from last year....wow.

In all fairness to Utah, Kirelenko is also MIA from this equation....So, he is their Bonzi minus the attitude, minus the fat, minus the good natured personality, work ethic and physical shape---NOT!!! :eek:

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Well said... very frustrating to watch our guys struggle like that... having said that I'm very optimistic about the team coming out and playing well tonight (Game 5). This series may very well go to Game 7 and I'll continue to root our guys on!! Let's go Rockets!!!!

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Sarcasm? Harpring will abuse Luther physically no matter how hard Luther tries. He is exceptionally strong, and not afraid to play dirty. Luther couldn't push Harpring around if he wanted to.

10. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I think Luther is coming around. He had 8 pts in game 4, more than the first 3 games combined. Juwan still can't swish a jumper to save his life, but at least he got a couple of put backs.

11. rv2843

rv2843 Member

Head and Juwan are chichens in playoff who dare not to shoot. Even when they do, normally a miss.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What about Juwan Howard? I attribute his poor postseason play to the fact that he has herpes. I mean, it’s hard to focus on basketball when you have a burning sensation in your pants. That also explains why he’s always wide open. Nobody want to guard him for fear of catching herpes.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah... Juan with Herpes.

Old news.

But just like herpes, it never goes away.

[​IMG]

Juan - "I have a burning sensation in my pants but atleast I didn't Nair my balls."

#13 Zboy, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

True, it is old news. However, it continues to affect his game. I think he should drop in a couple of these before the game to improve his performance.

[​IMG]

15. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Your observation is flawed. First of all you're not even observing the right thing.

Your superstars, namely Tracy McGrady (Tracy is an effeminate name, which is why he must have no balls) and Yao Ming. Yao's getting numbers, but his fire is missing.

T-Mac & Yao, that is the problem, period. Looking for rafer, luther, or juwan is retarted if your key guys play with no fire and no balls.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good idea.

However, he better not try to shoot that stuff in.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Howard is choking

Head IMO just is not very good and with his only asset (three point shooting gone) he is worthless.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

Luther had his chance to break himself out and failed miserably.

19. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Good jinx! Howard is stepping up right now.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Howard is playing well, and if Jerry Sloan is a master architect why aren't we in SLC right now?

Head has just lost his confidence completely. Does not bode well. Maybe he should play a while in Greece - that seems to do wonders for second tier players confidence. He might tell us he was the Elgin Baylor of Greece.