1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Available Free Agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Shouldn't there be some more cuts coming soon?

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How long is the exception good for? Just a year? :(

I don't see one player who deserves the money.

Gatling is the best choice of the bunch. Given Cato's and Collier's history of injury, the Rocks need to a backup 5. Also given the lack of height of KT and Griffin, a backup 5 who can see spot duty at the 4 is the best of both worlds. The question with Gatling is for how long to sign him.

Second choice of the bunch is Chucky Brown. He does not play the 5, so why bother?

Maybe the best thing to do would be to sign Pig to the minimum or see if we can move Walt for a 4/5.

3. Rollinrockets

Rollinrockets Member

I like Gatling...only because he seems to fill our needs the best. Mason would be my second choice.

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Only possible problem with Gatling is I remember hearing people saying he was a ball-suck. Last year, he took 10 shots a game in 22.6 minutes of play. To put it in perspective, that's slightly more than Cuttino (Gatling - 1 shot per 2.3 min.; Cuttino - 1 shot per 2.5 min.) But I don't pretend to know what his role was with Cleveland. Maybe he was the offensive spark off the bench. He did average 11.4 ppg. Gatling doesn't have great shooting percentages, however: (.449 FG%; .306 3pt%). He also doesn't block shots.

I do think we need someone, someone who can step up in the not so far-fetched possibility of one of our frontcourt players geting injured. But this is not someone I'd be interested giving more than 5-10 mpg if our other players are healthy. Thus, I'd be against Mason, not only because he plays positions where we'd like to give PT to others, but also because I feel we need a backup now, not really a significant rotation player. Someone who can come in and give the other 5 some pressure, grab some boards.

I wouldn't be opposed at all to Gatling however.

It seems a shame not to use the exception, but I'll be damned if we do it just so as not to "lose an asset and get nothing in return," even if it's not in the team's interest.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd take Skinner just so when he makes me mad I can yell SSSSSSSSSSKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Larry Smith

knows the game...knows the rockets....not too much of an ancient,yet....He could probably still pull down his fair share of rebounds.

LARRY!LARRY!LARRY

7. TIburon

TIburon Member

We need some type of offense from the frontcourt and Eddie Griffin is the only one that can probably put up double figures(but he's a rookie and only 19 yrs/old- a lot of pressure for a guy)

I'm not big on Mason a solid big man no doubt but he brings baggage that I don't think we need at all... Not sure chemistry wise...

I like Chris Gatling he has the offensive skills we need up front even if he's coming off the bench... And can play both the PF and C position...

I would like to get Gatling(he does what Taylor would have done this seaso- put points on the board from the outside and inside)

If not then I guess its still just wide open

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY IS TO WAIT TIL ALL TEAMS MAKE THEIR CUTS AND SEE WHO'S AVAILABLE THEN... YOU NEVER KNOW WHOM COULD BE OUT THERE.....

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Let's keep it clean here. What the man does behind closed doors is nobody's business.

9. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I think it's just 45 days, either from the date we requested it or the date it was issued. Crispee knows the answer to this one, but I understand that he's pleasantly distracted right now.

10. Bull-Horn

Bull-Horn Member

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Hmmmm...sounds like someone's just a lit-tle bit anxious to defend himself. :D

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

PIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

13. chewy

chewy Member

I'd go after Mase, although he'll most likely sign with the Bucks or another team with the $4.5 million exception, or Gatling. If we can't get Mase or Gatling, I say forget about using the exception and go with the team we got.

14. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member