1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does the rest of the world think of us?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, Oct 15, 2001.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brazilians supporting Osama...

I was doing my weekly check of the heavy metal/progressive metal news, and I came across this little tidbit. In all likelihood, few of you all have heard of these guys, but I will relay the story anyhow, as it seems relevant. Yngwie J. Malmsteen has a band whose keyboardist is Derek Sherinian, the former keyboardist for Dream Theater. They were playing a show in Brazil, and this was the result, as told by Sherinian on his website: www.dereksherinian.com

First of all, I would like to preface this letter by saying that I am not a fan of one using their musical status to promote religious or political beliefs. I am also not one to post on message boards, but something happened to me on stage last night that I feel compelled to write this letter. I am currently the only American in Yngwie Malmsteen's touring band. What happened at last night's gig in Porto Alegre, Brazil was shocking.

Midway through the set, Yngwie finished his guitar solo spot with the "Star Spangled Banner." The crowd of about 1500 people started immediately booing very loudly, and throwing **** on stage. The crowd started chanting, " O S A M A !!, O S A M A !!!" To see the Anti-American rallies on CNN is bad enough, but to be in the middle of one is scary beyond words.

So after Yngwie's solo we had about 5 more songs to play. All of my spirit was gone. I finished the set disgusted, and without looking at the crowd for the rest of the show. After the final song, the band went to the dressing room. I told Yngwie, I refuse to go out for the encore under any circumstances, **** THESE PEOPLE."

Yngwie went back on stage by himself and played the "Star Spangled Banner" again to a choir of loud boos. He then said on the microphone, "God Bless America, and **** YOU ALL" and walked off stage.

The crowd went into a riot and started throwing **** on stage. We immediately were rushed back to our hotel. I have no idea of the status of our gear. I want to thank Yngwie for backing me up, and for standing up for the USA. To the people in Porto Alegre, you should be ashamed of yourselves. I don't give a **** if I ever play your peasant infested third world city again.

God Bless America,
    Derek Sherinian

Now, here is where I must admit that I am not largely aware of how the US is popularly viewed by many South American countries, but it seems odd that any nation other than maybe Afghanistan would support Osama Bin Laden for his acts on Sept. 11th. Does anyone know why this would happen? It is even stranger that a fan would go to a concert hoping to see a particular performer, only to chant "Osama", knowing it would have to piss the performer off so badly that they would quit the show.

Certainly Yngwie didn't help things with his actions towards the crowd, but I have to say that I don't blame him for what he did. I think I would be pretty pissed off myself.

Edit: Derek Sherinian has since posted an apology to Brazil for some of the comments he made against Brazilians immediately after the event (in the excerpt above). The original section I copied can also be read on the website: http://www.metal-rules.com/news/index.shtml around Oct. 3rd.

#1 RunninRaven, Oct 15, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2001
  2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Raven,

You are funny with your "Metal Rules" site.

Anyway, to the point. My guess is that the audience was reacting that way because the US has done many bad things to destabalize Central and South America. The US has backed many bad leaders...but I do not know for sure. In any event, that is very sad to chant for a terrorist like that, especially one who does not promote your cause directly.

I think, as it does in the ME, that this reflects badly on both the people there and the US.

It is a shame because there are some really wonderful democratic movements that have started and are starteing in C and S America. "Liberation Theology" is one such movement.

3. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Why go to cnn.com when you can get all the major scoops through a heavy metal website? Like for instance, metal-rules.com was the first website to print the scoops, "Pantera kicks ass", "Heavy metal music is good" and "Guitar solos rock."

What website can compete with that?

;)

4. rock

rock Member

Why would people in Brazil not like the U.S?

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Think of all of those yuppies that made billions owning hair spray stocks in the 80's. Heavy metal truly rules and I can't wait for big hair days again (of course all mine will be gone by then, but it never hurts to have a David Lee Roth/Van Halen reunion tour when they're in their 70's). :D

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

There is an Al-Queda cell in Brazil. Maybe all of them were attending a heavy metal concert? :)

7. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

The price of admission would be more than worth it to see David Lee Roth attempt a high leg kick at the ripe old age of 70. I bet he wouldn't be too "hot for teacher" at that age.... or maybe he would. :D

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<i>Yngwie went back on stage by himself and played the "Star Spangled Banner" again to a choir of loud boos. He then said on the microphone, "God Bless America, and **** YOU ALL" and walked off stage. </i>

LOL, good for him! If those people love Osama bin Laden so much and support him good for them! When he starts sending garbage down there and killing off their people I hope the U.S. doesn't help them. The U.S. isn't an angel, but when you support a freak that did what he did I lose all respect for you. It's funny how these countries think the U.S. is evil incarnate, but will take help from them at the drop of a hat. If the U.S. is so bad stop taking our help, that's what I say.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is precisely why they hate Americans.

10. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Because someone made a rash, angry rationalization of a country's inhabitants after thousands of them just celebrated the death of thousands of Americans? His statement was obviously wrong, and he has since posted an apology on his website (which you may or may not have seen). But I don't really see how this explains the hatred of Americans as a whole.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Raven -- agreed...sorry for hurting your feelings, fellas...but when you chant in support of a murderer, your feelings are really the least of my concern...i'm a bit more concerned with the feelings of the victims' families and the rest of my countrymen who feel as if they're living in fear.

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

surely you jest...

with the exception of Canada, England, Mexico and a few NATO allies most of the world hates us.

rH

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

big surprise...the rest of the world hates the world's foremost superpower...like that is somehow different from any other period in history.

but as soon as they need us again, they'll love us. let saddam threaten saudi oil and we'll see how much they all love us again! ask the french!!

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I agree with Max. The hatred is because we are on top - jealousy is an ugly creature. To the extent (if any) that the attendees at a heavy metal concern represent the feelings of an entire nation... f*** em. I could care less whether Brazil hates us. We can get our coffee elsewhere.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Well, thank goodness that their actions dispelled any preconceptions some might have of their ignorance.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I wonder what Thanos thinks about this article?

17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I know that our government is full of hipocrisy, but this takes the cake!!! The world is not full of MENSA's!!!:D

[​IMG]