1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonics likely leaving Seattle after 07-08; Magic close on an arena deal in Orlando

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigereye, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

what division would OKC be in though? They can't be in the Pacific

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I just thought about this also. I don't think theirs any other solution then putting Oklahoma City in the Northwest which wouldn't make any sense.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Sea --> OKC
    Sac --> Vegas

It's always been a matter of when.

Evan

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

yes..

this is a no brainer

Maloofs=Vegas
    Bennett=OKC

book em both by 2010

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Since when do divisions matter in the NBA? Everybody basically plays the same schedule.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Damn, I just realized that over 1/3 of the teams in the NBA were relocated to their current cities

Jazz
    Lakers
    Clippers
    Warriors
    Kings
    Rockets
    Hornets
    Grizzlies
    Hawks
    Pistons
    76ers
    Bullets

The Nets were the "New York Nets", but New York/New Jersey is pretty much the same thing...

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I still wanna see the Clippers move somewhere. I just find it annoying that they share the same arena with the Lakers.

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Not necessarily. In your division you play each team time 4 times. But then I think you play 2 other teams in the conference only 3 times.

I think move the Hornets to the east, Bulls to the west, and then Oklahoma in the SW division. Seems fair enough to me.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

no, now why the hell would you move a traditional eastern conference team in the bulls?

move memphis to the east.

10. waran007

waran007 Member

The Sonics will probably sell out OKC all the time a la the Kings in Arco, but I don't want to hear the NBA complaining down the road when they've possibly got NBA Finals and playoff series involving small markets like OKC, New Orleans, Memphis, etc. It's no secret that the cities who are most desperate to meet team demands are also the least desirable television and media markets. Seattle just built new homes for the Mariners and Seahawks in the last 8 years, does anyone know if those where tax supported?

Seattle can support a team, this much is clear. Bennet and the NBA are just asking for too much, considering how poorly the Sonics have performed since the end of the Kemp/Payton/Karl era.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's still basically the same schedule. We played the Mavs this year just as many times as we played the Suns and Jazz (two other divisions).

12. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

It'll never happen, but it would be nice to see Vancouver get a team again, ala the Sonics. Even though the Grizzlies always stunk there, attendance and support were always good. Plus the city already has a great facility in GM Place. But yeah, I think OKC is the likely destination. Seattle and Washington will be kicking themselves eventually for letting this happen.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Their attendance really wasn't so bad. For several years, they were getting around 17000 a game. It only sunk once the management started botching everything and ruining that franchise.

Sad to see them go, especially after Heisely lied about wanting to stay there when he bought the team. Sadly, I doubt they'll ever get another team.