1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give the credit where it is due--about Yao and Game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Apr 22, 2007.

1. rfila

rfila Member

For a drama and headline, yes. For the game outcome where the total points count, no. And the game outcome is the only one matters for a playoff game. It does not matter how you get the points.

Yao did not get those FT by standing there. He got those by fight hard and took personal fouls--it can be "easy foul" or and can be "tough foul" which may damage his body. You do not call that process "quiet".

One more thing bothers me is when people talking about Tmac's "play maker role", they tend to ignore Yao was down there battling physcally. They have different role, do different things to win the game. While Tmac's role is more glory, Yao's rule is just as vital to this team success. Just like Yao can not run the ball like Tmac, try to put Tmac inside and fight physically against those big muscle guys and see what happens.

We are fortunate to have a good big man down there to do the dirty work yet some of the fans just do not appreciate.

2. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I didn't assume, because I didn't say anything of the kind. You on the other hand did because nothing I posted suggested I had issue with someone other than Yao getting credit. Come back with a better comeback because your attempt was lame.

And you didn't just say "(and Yao's 15 points were points were certainly huge for us)" and yet you keep focusing on that statement as if you did. Just because you said that one statement doesn't make the other parts of your posts irrelevant to respond to. I had issue with you calling his contribution as "quiet" because in my opinion he did more than score.

BTW, How sad that you have to go to the level of questioning someone's comprehension. Poor innocent aamir is misunderstood. If I lack ability to comprehend then maybe you should repeat the fourth grade and learn how to put your thoughts together. Take a look in the mirror.

#142 rocketsregle, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

And you are overly sensitive to think that they were overly sensitive.

4. aamir

aamir Member

You never assumed I was ignorant to Yao's contributions?
    Yet, I'm the one that needs to learn how to put my thoughts together... Ok buddy. How sad that you need to go to the level of questioning someone's ability to construct their.. yada yada yada

5. Vivid

Vivid Member

With a name like Mcgrady... besides, you don't have to "bash" a player to not give him credit... I don't know what you posted before and frankly it's not that important...but if was anything like Rock Johnson's post that the thread was calling out then yeah...you are being a hypocrite... the guy who maed this thread wasn't bashing Tmac...he wanted Yao to have some credit too...no problem with that...so what if your favorite player is Yao? or Tmac? who cares? we are all Rockets fans...and nowhere in this thread did anyone bash Tmac...you brought that notion in here... and yeah you are calling out the YOF's...but there is really nothing wrong with what they are saying in this instance...have beer...enjoy the win...that was for all of us...
    -V

6. aamir

aamir Member

I fully agree with your last sentence... and I agree, the total points is what counts (as I said earlier, "They still were important points though, as all points are."). But the rest of your post is so completely outside of what is being discussed that I cannot merit it a response. Perhaps you should review how and why the words "quiet" and "loud" were used, for I can assure you, there is no mention of the process of getting to the free throw line or taking a shot. Points scored at different times have different effects -- I'll leave it at that.
    You're right, I'm crying over here... :(

You're arguing nothing, and doing a terrible job at it. I'll take no further part in this, for it is a severe waste of my time.

7. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

No. You did give him credit on your posts. However I responded to the part of your post where I felt you didn't give the appropriate impact he had.

Do you or did you not think his contributions were quiet for the first half? Did I or Did I not present an example of someone who would think otherwise? If I offended you with that bolded statement I apologize because I wasn't questioning your IQ. You on the otherhand talked down to me and is why you got the response you did.

I'm not going to contribute more to this thread because we are just going in circles. It's a waste of time and the thread should die. I have issues with anyone playing favorites with either star. Both Yao and McGrady made major contributions in the game even McGrady with his one point half by creating shots and realizing his shot wasn't there. He could have shot us out of the game but didn't and that should be recognized.

#147 rocketsregle, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

So Juwan Howard is forgiven? :p

9. aamir

aamir Member

I'm sorry, but you cannot honestly tell me you did not assume those things when the line in bold clearly shows you doing so. It's not about questioning my IQ...

However, I too am willing to drop it, as overall, I have respect for this post. I apologize for thinking you were being over-sensitive to Yao's cause -- that seems to have been premature of me. I'll also concede that I did a poor job explaining what I meant by "rather quiet," as you and rfila both seem to have gotten the wrong impression and this wrong impression seems logical, rather than hotballa's claims of me "downplaying" the contributions of others. What I meant by "rather quiet" is that due to its distanced distribution of time scoring, it did not have as big of an effect of shifting the momentum of the game as Tracy's sudden outburst -- i.e. a 10-0 run is going to do more for our own momentum than a 15-30 run (don't know the actual numbers, just generalizing). Yao's 15 points, his blocks/alterations, and overall presence in the first half should never be called "quiet" -- meaning insubstantial. I was focusing on the other use of the word, and perhaps should have made that more clear.

I'd like to reiterate that I am not playing favorites here. I was a Hakeem fan, a Clyde fan, a Sam fan, a Mario fan, a Rudy fan, (etc) and a Rockets fan a decade before I had even heard the names Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. Today, I am a bigger fan of Deke and Chuck Hayes than both of the aforementioned as well. I'm just calling it as I see it, for this game.

10. tang0

tang0 Member

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is idiotic. I am happy T-Mac gets noticed for his play maker role. I also like it when Yao gets credit for battling down low. If only one gets the most noticed, it doesn't make me sad that he got noticed. I am happy for him, and hope that next time both will get mentioned.

This whole thread is horrible. I am happy for both Yao and T-Mac. They both did great.

12. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Ditto

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

read the post a-hole.

he said he was glad Tmac played well.

I just want the damn team to win. TMAC is always going to get more credit than Yao. He is far more popular. Plus - there is the mindset amongst the "real" NBA fans (like yourself) that if you think Yao is actually a great player, then you must be a YOF and don't know crap about bball.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

You need to watch you're mouth. as for the mindset of yao being inferior in my eyes, no. i've stated ON NUMBER OF OCCASIONS THAT YAO IS OUR BEST PLAYER. my beef with that poster was him calling tracy the problem.

16. forebay

forebay Member

then you must have a dual personality and you should to seek immediate medical treatment.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

The original thread starter posted my reply to someone on another thread to start a pointless debate. i stated on another thread that yao deserved as much if not more credit then tracy. he was the only one doing anything while everyoneelse was sucking. why he puts my quoet here is beyond me.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

19. laughdog

laughdog Member

any Jazz fans here? can you please tell me how you Utah guys feel when you read this sh*t from the fans of a team that just beat you? I guess a win can cause more trouble than a loss ......

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

OH dear GOD. i said Yao deserves just as much if not more credit to be able to play on that level when everyoneelse had'nt even arrived to play. then after seeing the Original thread starter start this noonsense, i lost my cool.