1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any thoughts on these types of threads?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I really don't want a bajillion new threads, and as big as the site is now and as much as we expect the Rockets to do well this time in the playoffs (really the first time since the BBS' existence), it's going to be hard to prevent.

What should we do about all the "Just saw someone mention the Rockets on TV" threads? One single thread for minor mentions or fine as is?

Also, all the "Louisville, KY Rocket Fans - UNITE!" Atleast 13 of those threads that I can see. I thought about a new forum for that, but what good is it going to be the other 300-330 days of the year. If you can think of a new Rockets-based forum name that makes sense here, I'd go for it. "Unofficial Rocket Viewing Parties" or something.

Any thoughts?

2. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I think it would be a good idea to create a subforum for the playoffs for all of the viewing party threads. I know many forums that create subforums (slickdeals for wii/ps3 availability etc) to avoid the threads that you mentioned. Also, I agree the 'rockets on abc in 5 mins' threads are getting old. Perhaps you could create a sticky for these threads.

Something needs to be done about these two topics because right now the GARM has turned into a cluster of the viewing party/rockets on TV threads.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

few more mods to lump them into one official thread is fine IMO

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

merge 'em, merge 'em all.

p.s. someone said the word Rockets on local ABC sports coverage :D

edit: "Rockets in the Press" would be a good title for the thread

and

"Rockets fans Unite" would be good for the other one

#4 across110thstreet, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That sounds good.

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Making subforums just for playoff time seems like a good idea

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think the 2 primary problems since the playoffs are:

1. Rox fans UNITE
    2. Viewing party

Other than that.. mostly the "Rox in the media" threads are pretty common.

Maybe making a thread for each of those 3 subjects would be enough IMHO.

8. unodostres

unodostres Member

on a side note:

Because i amnt a member i cant make a thread for this but does clutchfans ban members and if they do is the member by the name of bplld banned? His emails asking are ignored, and he has sent like a million.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I htink we should also BAN all threads about round 2 when we're stil in round 1.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

The problem with one huge thread is that new information can get overlooked easily but the problem with not having one huge thread is that the board is inundated with a plethora of topics that only serve to clutter the board and push other information into oblivion. Ok, maybe not oblivion but anything after page 2 is pretty darn close, lol.

This is what I would do. Make an Official Rockets vs. Jazz News/Discussion Thread. This thread would consist of news articles, videos, opinions, takes, and things of that nature. You would check there for all Rockets vs. Jazz related information. Any new threads may be allowed to have 12-24 hours(or whatever you deem appropriate) of shelf life as long as it isn't a repost. These new threads will exist as their own topics over that span of time to be seen but would eventually be merged into the official thread. Sort of like a gradual migration. This would allow for new topics to be seen easier and then be able to be put in a place where they won't be lost in the shuffle as new threads are made daily. Then by the end of the series, the official thread would be like a little archive of news and stuff related to this series. Then you could do a new one for each following series god willing. ;)

#10 vator, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I think any policy implemented re - these sorts of threads should be temporary. The only reason why they're an issue now is because of playoff fever...I have actually always found them very useful, and they're always the first thing I read when I visit the GARM because they're the most likely to contain new information/news about the Rockets.

They're certainly a lot more useful than the YMM-type "Why is T-Mac getting more love than Yao" threads. :rolleyes:

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there should be a fulltime forum for CF.net face-to-face socializing. It'd include playoffs viewing parties, pick-up basketball games, barbeques, perhaps some web-socializing (like teams in MMOs) -- anything that involves doing things together instead of just corresponding. And, I'd put the top-4 or so threads in a box on the front page, and maybe elsewhere in the BBS, so casual observers will notice what's happening there. As far as community-building goes, I think it closes the last mile.

That would take care of the UNITE threads, though I suppose it's more ambitious than that. I don't have a strong opinion on the Rockets on TV threads. They haven't been too bothersome to me.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What about the daily "Things to do in [insert city here]"? Like anybody voluntarily goes to Charleston, SC...

14. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Clutchfans Meet and Greet

General enough to cover almost every type of event - BBQ, pro/college sports, viewing parties, poker, video game LAN parties, etc.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The Classifieds one would fall under "Meet & Greet"... I think? :confused:

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just create a new forum for Playoff get togethers.

Or, all things Playoffs.....?

Heck, I don't know.

DD

17. Fatty FatBastard

I've got no problem with any new forum, but getting "playoff" mods might be a pretty good idea.

That way, you'd have a few more people policing and locking stupid threads, or repeat ones.

For example, I started a thread last night about AK that I found soon thereafter was already being talked about. I had no problem with it being locked.

Just a thought.

18. conquistador#11

How about having a media center thread?I love posting radio interviews; but sometimes I'm hesitent to do so because I feel like I'm wasting space. then I see Yao in swimsuit thread,and say to myself i shouldve posted that interview.anyways,by having a media center all videos and radio interviews can go in there....Just a thought

19. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

a sub forum, or new forum all together is a much better idea than merging the viewing parties.

trying to read through 200 posts to find out where we're having a watching party up here in dallas is difficult to say the least. a "Clutchfans Meet and Greet" forum allowing for these viewing parties, the basketball games you guys play down there, and whatever else seems like a great idea to me.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

ugh

it's getting worst each hour

can we have an 'official Utah - Houston Article' thread?