1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hollinger puts 2 rockets on All defensive team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jacquescas, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

didn't see this anywhere

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-Defense

First team: Shane Battier, Rockets (4.4, 322.7)
    Among perimeter players, Bowen is the best one-on-one defender, but Battier is the best team defender. It's tremendously helpful to have a small forward who can guard the opponent's best player, then sink down in rotation and block a shot underneath or get a steal in the passing lanes.

Battier is also a master of taking charges, and his ability to slide over to the power forward spot and defend just as effectively makes Houston that much more flexible.

Second team: Chuck Hayes, Rockets (6.8, 282.5)
    Perhaps the most underrated defender in basketball at this point, Hayes is way undersized for a power forward (6-6) but is so strong and determined that it doesn't matter. Several opponents have tried to take advantage of the height differential against him on the blocks; few have succeeded, mostly because they can't move an inch against him.

The one thing Hayes (and Jason Collins, below) gets docked for is that he can use his fouls recklessly because he's not an important star -- a luxury the two first-teamers in the frontcourt don't have. That makes it much easier for him to post impressive per-minute numbers.

its a much longer article but i cherry picked rockets news

2. Omer

Omer Member

Wow, Chuck Hayes.

What a baller.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I know Yao and T-Mac are the stars of this team for our offense, but I think Battier and Hayes are the heart and soul of our defense.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

If it's not too much of a bother, could you maybe put the whole article in the dish? I'm really interested in reading the rest of it.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He uses an adjusted Defensive On/Off metric he calls "points saved", but there's also some subjectivity in there as well since that stat isn't perfect.

Here are his selections. He explains each one in depth:

First Team:

C - Jermaine O'neal
    PF - Tim Duncan
    SF - Shane Battier
    SG - Bruce Bowen
    PG - Devin Harris

Second Team:

C - Jason Collins
    PF - Chuck Hayes
    SF - Tayshaun Prince
    SG - Anthony Parker
    PG - Rajon Rondo

Third Team:

C - Marcus Camby
    PF - Anderson Varaejo
    SF - Luol Deng
    SG - Kobe Bryant
    PG - Baron Davis

Honoroble Mention:

C - Ben Wallace, Emeka Okafur, Alonzo Mourning
    PF - Tonie Battie, Kevin Garnett, Jorge Garbajosa
    SF - Rasual Butler, Josh Howard, Ron Artest
    SG - Raja Bell, Trenton Hassell, Manu Ginobili, Kirk Hinrich
    PG - Tony Parker, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Jarrett Jack

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No love for Deke. He is by far the best backup in the league defensively. The way he controlled the paint during Yao's injury is the reason why we won 50 games.

7. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

wow Big Ben only an Honorable Mention??

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's lucky to get that with the breakout year Tyson Chandler had with the Hornets.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I love Deke, but the best backup center in the league IS listed in Hollinger's article: Alonzo Mourning. Zo is every bit as good defensively as Mutombo, plus he's more mobile and has offense to go with his defense. In fairness to Deke, I think Mutombo may be the better offensive rebounder.

Good to see Battier and Hayes get some credit.

If Dirk is the favorite for MVP by being the best player on the best team (Kobe is obviously a better player; and Nash is more valuable to his team), then Battier should at least make the All-Defensive First Team by virtue of being the best defensive player on the league's best defensive team.

10. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

If you watch big ben play, you will notice that he is an average on ball defender on the low block. He is most productive coming from the weak side, or on help defense. But as far as defending a player in the post, big ben is definitely overrated. Tyson Chandler is having a wonderful year, and much props for putting collins on the 2nd team, he is truly an underrated defender.

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I think Yao is underrated for his defense. Opponent's C's have an average PER of barely above 10, thanks to Yao, and their efg% is around 42% if I remember right. That efg% is extremly low for C's. Not even TD or Ben can limit opponents' C's to that low efg%. I am surprised at not seeing him at all on the list. Even JVG says Yao anchors our defense which is probably the best in the league.

Tmac is also a great defender but I guess there are more good perimeter defenders to choose from so some have to be left out.

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac won't ever make all-nba D (unless he wins and does it in the playoffs since reputation goes a long way) b/c he doesn't go all out every game. if he does, he would make 1st or 2nd team pretty easily.

yao won't ever make it b/c of how bad he looks w/ the pick and roll. if he improves upon that, he can.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Look at those former UK guys filling out the second team! :)

That's pretty awesome that Chuck was recognized by Hollinger.. especially after the poor man had to explain to a LOT of confused people why Hayes was in the top PER numbers for PF at the beginning of the season! :)

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Camby is a beast. better then oneal and chandler on defense. he's not only a great shot blocker, but he is a heck of a low post defender. reminds me of a younger version of moutombo. nowayas good as wht deke was.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

A C's primary defense job is limiting opponents' scoring in the paint and change shots when perimeter is penetrated. Yao does both better than any other C in the league. Can anyone honestly say he wants JO play D for Rox in Yao's place? I know I don't.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You know writers never vote the right people in ....

the real All-NBA team

Marcus Camby - C
    Tim Duncan (or Jermaine O'Neal) - PF
    Shane Battier (or Tayshaun Prince) - SF
    Bruce Bowen - SG
    Devin Harris (or Chauncey Billups) -PG

the ones that will be chosen on the first squad
    Ben Wallace -C
    Tim Duncan -PF
    Lebron James -SF
    Kobe Bryant -SG
    and shockingly Steve Nash - PG

It's like the golden glove award in baseball, they give it to notables or people who just have high name value.

17. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I wish there was a award for The Most Energetic Player (MEP), Hayes would surely win that to go with his All Defensive Team!!

18. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I agree! but he is not that consistent thou he is getting better every season!

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Interesting, but here's an obvious mistake: Camby should be on the First team. Also Chandler has been real good this year. They should go 1st and 2nd team respectively.

20. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

This post doesnt even make sense. First of all, this is a regular season award.
    Second, Tmac locked Dirk up like a zoo animal in the playoffs, so he has a rep.
    Third, without him this season this team gives up a good 20 more points than when he plays. I dont think Kobe is warranted any consideration because he hasnt played a lick of defense all year. The Lakers are close to the bottom for defensive efficiency.

As far as this all out stuff, please. No one player does everything all of the time, thats hogwash.