1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs 115 - Rockets 110

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpsta, Oct 11, 2001.

1. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Wink went off for 34 pts and 10 rbs... too bad we didn't have any interior help tonight. Just wait until EG and MJax are playing... and when Cat is back in the line-up, we're set. Mooch and Wiz played great.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Mooch played great? The $23M man threw the ball away in the clutch :(

3. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

looked like just a good defensive play to me... still not fun to watch that one though...:(

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I really like what the offense was doing tonight. The Rockets were forced to run their sets quickly, which definitely encouraged more fast breaks. Francis was much more assertive when he was in the game, and I hope that he continues that when the whole team is together. I like the effort from Kelvin Cato. He made some stupid mistakes, but he definitely gave this game his all. Good job Kelvin, I have a feeling you'll be doing well this year.

The zone looks like it may help the Rockets on the offensive end, but what happened to the defense?

115 points for a lineup that most often featured Danny Manning, Ervin Eshemeyer, and Khalid el Amin. Hopefully that was just "preseason" defense. In the first quarter, their D was excellent. There was nothing but hustle and grit, but it all collapsed in the final 3 periods. Anyway, if the Rockets put as much effort into their defense as they did for the first quarter, they should be solid.

What really excites me about the offense is that possibly four starters were absent today. Cuttino Mobley and Glen Rice could easily average in the 20s, while Jackson and Griffin should provide yet more offensive firepower. And Griffin should help on the D after a while.

I like the look of this team. It sure was an exciting game, and I LOVED the commentary by Bill and Calvin. The crowd was also an unexpected surprise.

The Rockets need to just focus on getting healthy, and stepping up a bit on the D, and they could easily be the fourth or fifth seed this year.

5. Houstone

Houstone Member

Cuttino was trying to get some from Destiny's Childs.:)

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I now know ZRB's prescription cycle.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

My wife and I went to the game - it's an easy choice for $10 seats and when you live 10 minutes from Compaq Center.

Even with our injury-depleted team, it was fun to watch. Kelvin looks like he'll have plenty of chances to score 10-15 points every night with the dump passes to him.

Observations from the upper deck...Cato came out very aggressive - got two blocks in the first quarter and was moving and jumping pretty well. Williams was looking to do more than just sit out at the three point line and played pretty well. It looks like he knows he's gonna have to earn his playing time this year.

Nwanko is fairly big, but doesn't look like he knows how to move the body at all - he looked awkward and out of place. Jones played well - I'd like to keep him around if we have room. Oscar Torres looked a little nervous and threw up a bad airball in the first quarter.

Overall, the rockets seemed to play pretty well, but they were missing the third gunner who wanted to take shots...we want you back soon Cat.

We got out rebounded badly - it was about 24 to 21 on defensive and 18 to 9 offensive the last time I checked. It just seemed like we were short on height and number of players crashing the boards.

I never saw the flagrant that was called on Cato, but I assume that it was in retaliation against Bradley? When Shawn Bradley came into the game he was throwing his arms, elbows and body around, generally being a violent nuisance. Shortly after that, Cato checked in and immediately went over, patted Bradley on the leg, and chatted with him. My wife thought that they were buds, but I'm not sure that is what was going on. Anyway, Bradley stopped throwing his weight around so much after that.
    (By the way, Bradley has put on a lot of muscle since the days when he looked like a scarecrow.)

Anyway, just my 10 cents worth - I'm looking forward to getting everyone back and healthy - losing sucks.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Where was Najera? Is he still on the team? Looks like we got the best of that trade.

I kept imagining if Eddie could stay with Nowitzsi. Hopefully someone can.

Cuttino can neutralize Finley a bit. By the way Cuttino said he would be out for another week and a half. :(

9. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I overheard Worrel and company ragging on Dierker before the game. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Good game... I'm kind of glad they're losing now. I think they were too cocky for their own good last year after beating the Spurs and Blazers in the preseason, and it showed when they got their asses handed to them against Minnesota on opening night.

Also, Jones is a keeper.

10. Old School

Old School Member

I thought the same thing about Bradley...looks like he's got the most meat on his bones that he's had in his career.

Old School

11. kubli

kubli Member

Definitely. He has a good shot and fits this team well, he'd be a great addition to our bench. I think he will get that 12th roster spot.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Considering we're missing about 50 points of offense between Rice, Mobley, Jackson, and Griffin, we're doing fine.

Both games it's been one person that kills us. In Phoenix, Tony Delk. Nowitzki just dominated. We'd probably have sent Griffin on him, so he doesn't have a huge advantage.

Francis and Moochie created SO MANY open shots. I really can't wait till he has Cuttino to send it to, and especially Glen Rice. If this is any indication, Glen Rice will have a field day. Francis has gotten better, he's making his moves earlier in the shot clock, and he's finding the open man. His assist total can be deceiving, but remember, he's playing without his left hand (Cuttino Mobley), and one of the best pure shooters in the game, not to mention hopefully another big man (Marc Jackson).

Jones fits in well. Another high energy guy, played mostly 2 guard, and his specialty shot is in the corner for 3, so he doesn't even affect where others have to play.

Morris looked okay, definitely a Rudy type of player. Think of him as a Shandon 3 inches taller, with longer arms. He finishes layups very well in traffic, plays solid defense, and moves the ball well. He has much better handles than Shandon.

KT has not impressed me much. In the first game, he was throwing up everything. He seemed to be playing outside of his game. He needs to block out Cato's man when Cato has to challenge a shot.

Speaking of Cato, he's looked good, solid effort, he's playing smarter, not falling for headfakes easily, and I haven't seen him called for 3 seconds. His offensive skills are more than sufficient-FT shooting looks good, and he's flashing to the hole for dunks.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

We will have problems with the 3's this year. With Rice and Williams, we probably have 2 of the slowest in the league. What Dirk did to us, Peja, Marion, and Lamar will do to us. Hell, Rashard will probably do it to us too. I really think Morris or Langhi will mature into that role because of length and quickness. Dirk is a man and the way Nelson teaches transition ball, Rudy could take a cue. They run all the time, not some of the time. Transition ball is a state of mind, not just having guys how are fast. Look at utah,they are always one of the older, slower teams, but they get more shots in transition than any team besides the bucks and magic. Stocton gets the ball in the middle and everyone fills the lane. They never start up the sidelines with the ball and try to run a break. I also watched the 1 man break with Jason kidd. No one runs as hard and as fast as Kidd with the ball. I wish Francis pushed the ball like him.

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's the missing 50 points of defense that's beginning to worry me.

15. JrocketB

JrocketB Member

I was at the game last night. Just a couple of thoughts....

First off, I know that it was a preseason game, but could the crowd have been any more DEAD? I mean, what the hell does it take? It was actually a great game, and hell, even Rudy was into it! All I am saying, is that if you are going to PAY to go the game, or spend your valuable time at the game, why not get into the game? That place was like the Academy Awards last night. It's like people pay more attention to how they LOOK then what's going on in the game. This is an exciting young team!

Secondly, I really thought that we played well considering the amount of injuries we are dealing with right now. Cato had his moments, but then again we ALL know how he is during pre-season ball. Stevie was Stevie. Moochie was, well, kind of erratic. I'm sure he'll be there. T-Mo kind of looked lost in this one as well as against Pheonix. I know he's more of a role-player, but I'm still waiting to see what that role is.... Damon Jones is pretty exciting to watch, especially when he gets hot from behind the arc. Not sure what to think about Nwankwo. All in all it was a great game. Can't wait to see the rest of the team in action!

Sorry about getting on a soapbox about the fans at the game. I do realize that it was pre-season, but it was pretty much like all the games I've been to over the last couple of years....only smaller in attendance. I realize that the team hasn't been much to cheer for in awhile, but if you're gonna go....GET INTO THE GAME.

Go Rockets!!

16. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Najera is still on the team. I think he is still nursing an injury. When he has been healthy, though, he has made an impact with his hustle. As much as I like Langhi, I have yet to see him make an impact in a game.:(

17. 3oClockRocket

3oClockRocket Member

I wish i could go to the games...:(

It seems like KT is struggling according to the posts...I am impressed with Cato though...does this mean, Cato could start even if Jackson ends up in H-town?

GO ROCKETS!!!

18. TexasG

TexasG Member

Observations from a MAVS fan ...

The Rockets always seem to give the MAVS fits when they go small. Mooch played great as well as Franchise but he usually does. After seeing Cato play I don't understand why you guys rag on him so much he actually played pretty good. Maybe he just has that Juwan Howard syndrome (way too much money for an average player).

As for the MAVS I thought they played ok. The offense was a little off since Nash didn't play. El-Amin (who reminds me of Mooch by the way) was all over the place. Dirk is the man (and future MVP). Fin has been working on his handle, and Adrian Griffen is playing like his first year in Boston. Najera is still on the team, and should get more PT as the preseason wears on. Nellie has just been experimenting with different line ups (i.e. no PG's at one time during the game). I don't even remember who the MAVS gave up for him. Donnell Harvey will be MUCH improved this year. The kid can throw down some serious power dunks!

All in all pretty exciting game. Sloppy on both ends but exciting. Can't wait to see both teams at full strenth.

19. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I was watching the complimentary players closely and OT just hasn't impressed me as much as Damon. TMo ball handling was impressive he might be a better option behind the Cat. K9 is also spending to much time on the perimeter when he is at the 4. The main thing is the talent and hustle this team possesses it is amazing to watch even w/o Cat,Jambalaya(Rice),Griff, and MJax.

Deepest team we've had in a while.

20. red

red Contributing Member

i noticed that mooch wasnt initiating the offense soon enough. too much dribbling and not enough movement. it looked like the players were content to just stand and see what mooch could do. other than that it felt damn good to watch a rockets game again...ahhhhhhhhhhhh...