1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Clutchfans.net be better as a pay-only forum?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Cire, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Would Clutchfans.net be better as a contributing member only forum?

2. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

...interesting breakdown so far, I would not have expected it to be near even.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It would depend on who decided to pony up to be a member I suppose. What if a lot of good posters decided they didn't want to spend the money, while the trolls thought it was worth it?

4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I was wondering...why is it that sometimes you are forced to log in as a member to view the bbs and sometimes it will direct you to the bbs without having to provide a log in?

But to answer your question I think this site would be better if it were pay only. The reason is that within the last couple of years this site has provided so many resources with the assistance of paying members such R2K's video clips and pruyens translations. I'm sure alot of these resources are being depleted and leeched such as the yousendit and torrent links by trolls on the board. I remember the only reason I found out about this site was because I was trying to find tmacs 13 pts in 35 seconds 2 years ago and a friend referred me here. I was completely down to pay 10 bucks to get the vid and other great videos that people uploaded. Today, CF.net has been my one-stop place for all my rockets news, videos, translations etc. The other argument is that people that pay on this board realize the sanctity of their account and won't just post stupid crap without thinking about reprecussions of their words. Clutch, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure that free posters get banned for stupidity at a higher rate then paying members just because they have nothing to lose.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Definitely not. There are posters out there that are diamond in the rough (like durvasa, heypartner, IC2000) but aren't willing to pay...

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think that if we have to pay for this forum, some posters will demand certain privelages, and complain much more, since they payed for it.
    If we keep it like it is people cannot complain because they didn't have to pay for this forum.

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

When i joined it was $10 but i didn't mind.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If it were pay-only, who would be considered paying? If you got contributing member status from donating $10 3 years ago, are you really much different from a non-contributing member?

9. Head9

Head9 Member

Current policy is fine.

I was yelling at game hot line chat room for open registeration, that was the only place I can leave my words at that time. I finally registered at Feb, and few days ago contributing member status.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would not mind a subscription only area though.

DD

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The only argument that paying would make the site better is if it gave Clutch more resources to do things with, assuming he wants to do more things. Note this really has little to do with this bbs, other than helping to prevent outages.

it is somewhat annoying to me to see a question posted about making clutchfans.net be better and most people assume that means this bbs. clutchfans.net and bbs.clutchfans.net are two different servers. Clutch writes all the code to run clutchfans.net (with some help and insight from Jeff and data contributions from others, like keeley once did i think, design/wallpapers from rocketeer, and, at one time, wire images from some anonymous dude).

imo, what would make clutchfans.net better starts with whether Clutch thinks the front page needs improvement and what he would do with more money. It has little to do with this bbs. Let's not take our collective selves too seriously.

I know you meant that as a compliment, but it is actually not that fun to read.

12. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

The breakdown is closer than I imagined at 100 voters.

Thanks for all the resposes and votes.

13. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

How much is the minimum to be considered a contributing member? I donated like $15 one time and I never got that status.... I dont make much $ and dont have much to contribute, but if I can afford it id be glad to be a contributing member... great site.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I'd e-mail clutch about that...i would think $15 would be enough...

15. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

Just think, if EVERY member donated just ONE dollar right now.

:eek: $22,669

I think everyone that owns a computer and has internet service can afford $1/mo. :cool:

16. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Excellent observation-Thank you

17. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Yes? 39 32.77%
    No? 70 58.82%
    Undecided? 10 8.40%

Still a strong "No", but not as strong as I thought. Anyone want to explain further their vote? Why did you contribute? Why not?

I paid because I enjoy the great information(NBA stories and stats to laughs from OTD) that I read on CF nearly daily, even though I don't post often.

18. SladeRider

SladeRider Member

I had to go with No on this one, there is still a chance that trolls will pay the money and problems will still remain.

I also believe this forum is great for fans to come and talk about the team, the players and the management, if there's a charge then fans normally go elsewhere.

As for the idea of contributing just $1, it is a good idea for most but it's not for someone like me because my bank charges me to change currency so I would probably end up paying $3 with only $1 going to the site and that puts me off contributing so little.

If I had money to spend, I would contribute to the site but money is tight for my family and they come first but the reason this place is so great is because fans can come here and post without any cost or any fear of being flamed for posting an opinion.

19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

this site ROCKS MY SOCKSSSSS :D

20. YugoRocketsFan

I think once a year, clutch should ask for 2 dollars to be sent to him, dude will have a nice paycheck at the end of each year.