1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we rest Yao when T-mac is on court until 4th Q?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ericmark, Apr 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ericmark

ericmark Member

We lost to Jazz twice this season with Yao on court, won once without Yao. There is no doubt Yao played fine. Since the return of Yao, T-mac and Jho are having a slump. I think both of them need enough shots to get their rhythm back, and Yao needs enough energy to have accurate shots as well good defenses, plus avoid injuries. It has been proven with Yao only, we go 2-5. We have to get T-mac rolling or we can't go deep in the playoff. So play Yao in 4th and rest him whenever T-mac is on Court in the first 3Qs.

2. YugoRocketsFan

How about we rest Rafer?

3. manhore

manhore Member

So basically, we only play T-Mac for 5-10 minutes for the first 3 quarters? Cuz, if there is a choice, I would play Yao WAY more minutes than McGrady. And if we can't have both playing on the floor at the same time, then basically we reduce McGrady to less than JLIII.

4. ericmark

ericmark Member

With current players we have, I am afraid it could be worse without alston. The problem is: Rafer is not a good shooter, he should limit his shots by setting a mind: pass first, shoot 2nd.

5. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

What can JVG do? As soon as he pulled Yao out, Utah made a run, then he had to put Yao back in. Yao would love to take a break if the rest of team could play a little smarter.

6. anitasri

anitasri Member

UTah made the run because our Bench sucks and Yao as a defensive force is too valuable and perhaps unlikely to be replaced. So the question then becomes why does our Bench Suck? No more frigging excuses about putting the best players on the floor- we simply dont. Bonzi should get his 20 minutes period.

7. ericmark

ericmark Member

I want to play Yao as many min as we can, but it does not work out. :( We need both of them play great not only by luck. The theory is the theory, the reality is the reality.

8. ericmark

ericmark Member

We did beat Jazz without Yao. I do agree Bozi should have his time before the playoff.

9. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

the problem is how willing is Tmac to get rolling

10. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

disgusting lost. Utah made their run down 7 when yao was on the bench so dont blame Yao for anythin about this lost. execution for the 2nd to last shot is horrible. Tmac passing to alston for a 3 with more than 9sec left when team is down by 2 just shows it. And out of a timeout, why is the plan to get the team so spread out on the court yet having only tmac and Yao bouncing around with the bball

11. PktRockets

PktRockets Member

Can you give an answer as to what would have happened today if we played like you said. Rest Yao when Tmac is on the court until the 4th qtr?

12. ericmark

ericmark Member

i can not. I am talking about the rest of games before the playoff. I by no means blame Yao for the losses. I am talking about the better strategy to win games with our current resources. You can not have KB in our team, although I am not a fan of KB nor the lakes.

13. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Go away you tmac only fan. :rolleyes:

14. SuperYanthrax

SuperYanthrax Member

Without Yao, the Rockets would have been blown out by at least 20. Yao needs to play as many minutes as he can handle, and in the playoffs he needs to be getting 40+ minutes.

This is a very poor time for TOFs to reveal themselves, because their main man just stunk it up the joint.

15. ericmark

ericmark Member

Why don't you call me YOF directly? :rolleyes:

16. James23

James23 Member

Again, the rockets need to go to Yao in the 4th quarter. He has to know he is the 1st option and has to dominate in order for the team to win. This might mean the rockets will lose some games because Yao turns the ball over or misses shots. However, I believe he will bring more positives than negatives.

The rockets won't be able to beat elite teams if yao is not the go-to guy in the final quarter.

17. unodostres

unodostres Member

Yao still isnt a high endurance guy. He was clearly out of gas in the fourth quarter. He missed a finger roll and a couple other easy shots in teh final minutes - hurting us dearly.

I have always noticed his low endurance cause theres so many games where i think he is gonna score 40 based on the first half but instead he will end up with barely 30.

Yao really needs to work on that, this problem existed before he went out with the knee too. He just fades away toward teh end of games if we go to him too much. In the first half he was like half our points. No one else got in a rythem and so obvioulsy one guy isnt going to carry the whole team, especially yao, who as i said, runs out of gas.

No one on the rockets is truly consistent. They are all streak players, even Tmac.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

we would have won this game if Luther had played. For sure

19. kkuu

kkuu Member

We won them without yao. I am just wondering if we can win them today without yao. If that is ture, next time, we play them without Yao no matter he is healthy or not. Give him a rest. :cool:

20. fifman

fifman Member

HA! I'm thinking the opposite things. Let Yao paly the first 3q and T-mac concentrate on the last quarter....