1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We just pulled off the best April Fools Joke ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 1, 2007.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

2-10 shooting is pretty bad in my book

Guys, you cant defend rafer just because he is a rocket. He has a ton of flaw and is not suited to be a starting pg. I know a lot of people say he does his jobe. Hits a few 3s, a few assist, some decent defense. Rafer has limitations, he's never gonna be a 3rd scorer or a great pg, thats just how it is. And until they find another player who can be a 3rd scorer or put a spark into this team, they arnt goning to go anywhere. All the other top team have 3 guys. San Antonio has Manu, Parker and TD, Mavs have Dirk, Terry and Howard, Suns have nash, marion, and Amare. Guys, Rafer is a fine player but he is not someone who can be depended on as a starting pg and Rafer never has been. Why JVG thought he could all of a sudden turn rafer into a starter after being a career backup is beyond me. But, you guys need to realize that Rafer has limitations and just is never gonna be a top 20 pg.

2. ham

ham Member

I don't understand the personal slant of all the criticism of Rafer. The worst that can be said is that he's a mediocre outside shooter. Seeing as this is womething he's worked very hard to improve, it's hard to blame the guy for that.

He keeps the offense efficient (it bogs down when he's out; remember the Hornets game?), he's excellent at setting Yao up in the post, and he gives his all every night.

Also, even if his percentage from 3 is not great (and it's not horrible, either), he very rarely shoots contested threes. Taking the first open shot is something that JVG stresses, as it's very important with a player like Yao or Deke in the post. Passing up shots leads to turnovers from 3-second calls, and also to a breakdown in spacing when opposing defense feel that they can ignore the outside shooter. Clearly, Rafer has punished collapsing defenses enough that they feel they must use a defender on him on the perimeter.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What do V-Span's HOT zones look like compared to Rafers?

DD

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You cannot just be happy with efficient, they need a guy that can make plays. Rafer is a lot liek David Carr in the sense that he doesnt always mess up, but he doesnt do anything to make you win either. You guys need to stop defending rockets players just because they are on the rockets. They can be critisized as well

5. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

finally Clutch...

I was wondering when the april fools joke was showing up. oh my, this thread cracks me up...

good stuff!

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Toronto post Rafer Alston made the playoffs tonight.
    They have this TJ Ford dude, he's from houston.
    He can play.
    He passes the ball.
    Oh...
    He passes the ball.
    have you seen the highlights?
    He passes the ball.

7. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Skip to my Loo

#127 Sishir Chang, Apr 1, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  8. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I thought J-ho was pretty damn bad tonite as well...same with T-mac

9. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

LMAO!!!!!!!! More like "Skip over my BooBoo"

10. aamir

aamir Member

I agree, no legit (hell, even sufficient) back-ups with Rafer Alston at the starting point guard is a great April Fool's joke..

But, with that said, I have absolutely no problem at all with Rafer taking that shot. He's been one of the best players in the fourth quarter, particularly from the three point line, all year long and has hit countless clutch shots. I have a slight remembrance of one he missed, which I believe he even redeemed himself for in the same game, but other than that I can't remember him coming up empty when needed in the fourth... until now. Hell, even in this game, he hit a crucial three to extend our then lead, and against L.A. the other night he hit a late three which only gave Kobe a chance to send it into OT, as well as four much needed free-throws at the end of regulation and overtime. This shot was in rhythm and uncontested -- it just did not fall, and despite Rafer's poor shooting night (or career, as Clutch would put it), it was an extremely legitimate opportunity which has shown a very high success rate this season.

I was much more upset with the last play -- something near 20 seconds remaining and we didn't even get the shot off! Mac looked confused, almost taking a two point attempt, then stepped back to the three, PASSED IT TO YAO :)eek:), and then proceeded to hold the ball in his hand mid-jump until after the buzzer rang.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mac is the reason we lost either -- it was just a far more distressing play imo. Aside from that, Rafer had a terrible shooting night, as did McGrady, and Kirk Snyder was getting absolutely torched by Giricek. Hell, if your on the Rockets and your name isn't Yao Ming or Chuck Hayes, there's pretty good reason to be mad at you right now, but there isn't reason enough to put this loss on Rafer.

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I too wish Clutch would stop creating these ninny threads, but what can you do...

New Yorker, I feel your pain. :)

12. ham

ham Member

Did you read my post? Because you sure didn't respond to it. You just hit "reply" and went off in an entirely fresh direction.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is funny and creative,
    Before reading the thread, everyone thought this was something like

VSPAN is starting for the Rockets.

:D

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

it's funny

where are all teh "give rafer his props" threads now?

15. Sextuple Double

And the Rafer hate continues to gain momentum..........

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

And rightly so

17. schwa

schwa Member

Sometimes Clutch just speaks the truth.

18. jojobabbu

jojobabbu Member

Rafer shoot miss suck fourth in basket quarter basketball in ymca belongs he

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Yoda?

btw- I say we bring back Moochie .

#139 IROC it, Apr 1, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  20. unodostres

unodostres Member

I dont get it. Someone please explain the joke here. :confused: