1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tidbits from Insidehoops.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRockFan, Oct 5, 2001.

1. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

ROCKET LINES

Houston Chronicle reporter Michael Murphy had a great line about Kelvin Cato replacing Hakeem Olajuwon as the Houston Rockets' center.

Murphy wrote that "Rockets fans who watched the likes of Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson, Moses Malone and Elvin Hayes do their thing inside, seeing Cato assume the role of center will be like watching Adam Sandler perform the lead in Hamlet."

In related news, it appears the Rockets are trying turn Dan Langhi into the league's tallest shooting guard. Langhi was drafted by Houston in the second round of the 2000 draft -- as a 6-11 power forward. But now he might come off the bench to play in the backcourt.

Also, this year's second-rounder, Terence Morris, is reportedly living up to his billing as an absolute steal.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

From one NJ to another...good stuff! I love to hear that about T-Mo!

3. Tmo

Tmo Member

Tmo! Tmo!
    I'm burging already!

4. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

TMO I figured you'd be happy about the last line.

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

What exactly is burging & how do you do it? :D

6. Tmo

Tmo Member

It's real easy
    burging-living vicariously through someone when he triumphs
    corphing-dissociating yourself from that someone when he fails
    You do it every day, hottoddie

#6 Tmo, Oct 5, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2001
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not to be down on Terence because I really want the guy to do well and end up being this steal they're talking about (really, TMo, I do! :D), but has he really shown that much to say he's a steal? The guy hasn't even played against "real" NBA talent yet. Or are they basing this all on the summer camps and training camp?

I'm hoping this guy ends up being a bigger steal than Mobley was.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The difference between Cato replacing Dream, and Adam Sandler playing the lead role in Hamlet is that at least with Adam Sandler, I would still enjoy myself....just for different reasons. :D

9. harumph

harumph Member

Sandler would also put some effort into his acting job, no matter how bad his performance would be. Don't think we can say the same about Cat-D'oh!

10. outseam

outseam Member

BIRG-ing: Basking In Reflected Glory

BURG-ing: Close enough!:)

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

You mean Little League parent??!!?? :D

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I don't know that is asking for quite a lot. It's scary to think Mobley will be even better this upcoming season.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If T.Morris does well,both defensively and offensively,he could become a future 3 for us.It would make Glen Rice's job much easier. I hope that he can score like Cuttino did as a rookie.

I think the Rockets have done very well in the draft,by getting Morris in addition to Griffin.

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I'd rather watch Sandler.

Abbey doobie? Abbey doobie? Come to the back of the boat!

15. Miggidy Markell

Thing is, what happens with the roster in 1-2 years time? We have Griffin who will probably end up taking the starting role at the 4 or 5 soon. Glen rice will still be here, Tmo will still be backing up, MoT will b takin up cap space unless he is traded, KT looks to b on his way and so does Wiz. Cato will be here as well so what can we do for the young guys? The only solution I see is if we work Griffin up from the 4 into the 5 and bring Cato off his ass for 10-15 mins a game. I'm glad I'm not the one making the pay checks here!

16. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I would love it if Griffin grows another inch or two, muscles up, and becomes a dominant 5! And if Morris progresses to become an all-around and strong defensive 3, we'd have quite the team in a couple years. Our rebuilding would be done!

Griffin/Taylor/Morris/Mobely/Francis.

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'd have to say. I wouldn't be surprised if the lineup works out that way, and not because I expect Eddie Griffin to be anything close to a prototypical 5 (more like Marcus Camby with a superior offensive game). But I could see Rudy T just platooning Eddie and Mo T in the power positions for most of the game a few years down the line. Whatever the starting lineup, the lineup in the fourth quarter could very well be a mix of Steve, Cuttino, Eddie, Mo T and a center or SF, depending on what player rises above the rest in the years to come (Langhi, T Mo, other)