1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac's play since Yao came back...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by noize, Mar 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You guys just could not stop complaining for one day could you? :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

we've won 8 of the 10 games we've played since yao has returned so i don't really care how tmac has been playing.

3. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

While this is true, Tmac's shooting percentage has been crap. Some shots he make are when the team needs them but that percentage is awful.

With that, Tmac is (good for us) such a versitile player that he can create problems for the defense even when he isn't scoring.

The guy can control portions of a game with great court vision and playmaking abilities. This is the most underrated part of his game. Our PG cannot run the offense as efficiently as he can.

That's all apart of being all around though, you can contribute in ways even when you aren't shooting like kobe :)

Some players never learn to affect a game if they can't score.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those who like the numbers, I did this quickly without double-checking, so correct me if needed :

TMac's FG% breakdown :

Nov. 1 - Dec. 9 (Yao was active, TMac hurt his back after this stretch) : 42%
    Dec. 26 - Mar. 3 (Yao was inactive, TMac was relatively healthy) : 45%
    Beginning of season to Mar. 3 : 44%
    Mar. 5 - Present (Yao is active) : 37%

If my quick calcs are correct :

1) The difference in TMac's shooting between early in the season when Yao was in and the stretch where Yao was out isn't a ton of difference, but yes, it's a bit of a difference : 42% vs 45%.

2) TMac's shooting percentage for the season before Yao's return was 44%. After Yao's return, it's 37%. This is a far more significant difference, but in 1) we somewhat proved that Yao being on the court doesn't kill TMac's FG%. This leads me to believe one or more of 3 things is true :

a) TMac is getting worse shooting as the season is going on for some reason (would need to look into this further to prove it).
    b) TMac is getting adjusted to Yao's return, like the rest of the team.
    c) TMac's role has changed from what it was earlier in the season (this would require a hell of a lot more looking into. lol.)

5. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

Tmac is a very unselfish player. He will take the role which gives his team the best chance to win games. He will let Yao take all the shots and get all the glory if that means the Rockets win multiple rings. We should feel lucky that we have such an excellent player on our team rather than complaining about his productions.

6. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

I agree. Yao is good. Yao is very good. But.......you really don't need to praise Yao by bashing Tmac. They are teammates. They need each other to win rings. They are not enemies. Agree?

7. pacman

pacman Member

I believe Tmac would be at his best at the high post or even low post position . I really haven't seen his games lately but judging from the highlights he makes his shots when he is posted up, he hasn't dribbled yet, then he turns, jab step, and pulls up for the midrange jumpshot. Kinda like what Avery is doing with Dirk, posting him up at midrange. He is most lethal at this stage because he hasn't dribbled the ball yet.... this is what we call the triple threat position because a player can shoot,( pull up for the jumpshot), pass , or dribble ( drive by his opponent). Even michael jordan did a lot of posting up with his back to the basket and he would swiftly turn and hit that godly fadeaway.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree with this. TMac is having to take a lot more outside jumpers, often off the dribble with a defender in his face, because Yao is getting most of the touches in the middle. Also, Tmac doens't have the freedom to drive when Yao is taking up so much room. Although, I think TMac has more room than he realizes. Yao can easily step out of the way on his drives, and he can even help by sealing his man or other defenders off. TMac just needs to go to the basket if he has the opportunity, even if Yao is waiting for the ball.

But is this really a big problem? Not necessarily, because I think Yao should definitely be the #1 option. But I think JVG should strike more of a balance and run more ISO plays for TMac. Heck, it worked when Yao was out so why not keep some of that old plan. It'll keep the other team off balance, too.

9. pacman

pacman Member

Exactly. totally agree. I think it is a fallacy to think that when Yao is in the game he should be the only one posting up and others should be relegated to spot up shooters including Tmac. It is entirely conceivable and plausible to have two post threats in the paint. Tmac can have the high post , Yao the low post or whatever set-up. we can mix it up. Also, I think we should run more pick and rolls involving tmac and yao.

10. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

Rule #1: Never worry about t-mac when healthy. Right now he's been healthy for a while so don't worry. He'll be there when needed. As of right now he's playing good, so what if his shooting percentage is a little down it will go up again.
    Rule #2: Only thing you need to worry about is the rest of the team hitting their open shots and Defense.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're right. Which is exactly why IF(emphasis here) T-Mac doesn't play as well with Yao in the lineup, we need to find a remedy. When the playoffs roll around, we need both playing at their peak to make a long run. And that require them to play off of each other well.

12. deshen

deshen Member

Any player could have off night. T-Mac provides not only shoting, but also the passes that leading to score. Hopefully everyone could get ready in playoff time.

13. pacman

pacman Member

We're winning right now but to beat the elite teams we need to maximize our strengths and minize our weaknesses. One of our strengths is having Tmac shoot a better percentage by putting him in positions where he can be more effective and efficient. We will be an elite team if we can correct whatever flaw there is in the system and realize the boundless scoring potential of Tmac. As I said kinda like the corrections Avery instituted after Don Nelson. During Nellie's time Dirk was relegated to more of a spot up shooter with emphasis on developing his outside game.

Avery transformed him into a more potent threat by making him post up closer to the basket and putting him in that triple threat position where he can shoot, pass, or dribble.

14. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Man, I agree with that. If we remember the playoffs vs. Dallas, the high pick and rolls with tmac and Yao were virtually unstoppable. Tmac would either come off the screen open for the jumper, or he would be doubled and hit Yao with the lob, for easy baskets. And I believe both Yao and tmac are better players now than they were in that series.

15. unodostres

unodostres Member

Tmac leads this team, not Yao. Even if Yao puts up the numbers and he is basically our number one option, this team cant do anything without Tmac. The short stretch in december when he went down our team started losing right away, even with Yao scoring in the 30s. People say dont worry but its hard to believe he is just going to go into the playoffs and turn 360 degrees.

I am noticing after Tmac hits a couple shots or the team gets hot during a game, TMac seems jack u ill advised shots. HE tries to get hot so much yet rarely actually does. I amnt saying he doesnt score enough, just that he rarely catches on fire, unlike a couple years ago. The dumb shots he takes are really annnoying. 1 out of 20 will actually go in and then cancel out with the next two shots.

16. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Not if your Kobe!!

17. pacman

pacman Member

The pick and roll is actually one of those repetitive plays that you can run over and over again. Thats why they call it a bread and butter play. Stockton and Malone ran the same play over and over again and still not the other team couldn't stop it. It is however more limited now since teams are allowed to play zone and this limits the pick and roll. On the other hand, if they do play zone our outside shooters will bomb away.

18. blackbird

blackbird Member

19. gunnet

gunnet Member

when playoffs come T-MAC will be a monster

20. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Having the offense run through Yao, he really doesn't get as many screens as he did when Yao was out. That was basically our only offensive play when Yao was hurt, the high screen with Juwan or Deke, Mac would just raise up and sink the open jumper.

Sometimes I wish he was a little bit more selfish with the "I'm better than you and you can't stop me" attitude. With selfishness comes focus.