1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting UT acceptance story!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshaaronb, Mar 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What doesn't work that way? Maybe I don't get your post. But there is a difference between considering yourself part of the Top 10% and actually being in it. That's cool you didn't care about making grades in h.s. but for the kids that do/did, being in the Top 10% is an accomplishment and some schools (like UT) reward for that.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I have no idea. Sorry.....

A few of my friends have studied abroad for grad work and haven't seemed to have any trouble finding work once they got back to the States. They were Rhodes scholars though.....

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't think Texas state schools have a choice in the matter.

Thank the legislature.

4. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

My response simply was to the statement "Originally Posted by gucci888

The Top 10% is weird and I never cared for it, but I guess thats one of the perks of being the Top 10% of the smartest people in your school. "

Having a GPA that puts you in the top 10% of your school does not equate to being more intelligent than 90% of your school. Simply, grades dont equal intelligence.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I agree, but it takes intelligence and hard work to be in the top rankings sometimes. It seems like you didn't care about being at the top of your class.

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You don't understand the point of the Top 10% rule and life in general. It doesn't matter how smart you are if you don't apply yourself. Employers and colleges don't want lazy smart people. If I had a choice to hire someone who was intelligent but downright lazy (as you had to be to finish in the bottom quarter of your class) or someone who isn't as intelligent but worked their ass off to finish in the Top 10% it isn't even a question who I'd hire.

I've posted links on here before to studies that show a very strong correlation between finishing in the top 10% in high school and doing well in college.

I find laziness in smart people to be unforgivable. If you're naturally intelligent and you apply yourself you can do so much good and you have the ability to help many people by applying yourself.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I don't really consider UT to be in an "urban atmosphere." Maybe compared to A&M, but Austin still has a very small town feeling. When comparing Austin to statistically "smaller" cities like Boston or Seattle, Austin still feels really really small (and with terrible traffic).

Schools that I'd consider to be in an urban atmosphere are NYU and Columbia (obviously), University of Chicago, Temple, USC, etc.

#87 s land balla, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

So because Austin's not New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, or LA it doesn't have an urban atmosphere? That's absolutely ridiculous, it's the sixteenth biggest city in the country by size and 38th biggest by metropolitan area population. Seriously, short of big league sports, what can you get in NYC or LA that you can't get in Austin?

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Anything after 11 pm :(

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Exactly. Other things which Austin is lacking that come to mind are authentic ethnic restaurants (key word being authentic), diversity, efficient public transportation, and decent highways. I know Houston doesn't have efficient public transportation, but at least its highway system is one of the best in the country (taking its size into account).

I've been living in Austin for the past four years (at UT)...it's a nice city and all, but I still don't consider it to have an urban atmosphere. You can give me all the statistics you want, but that doesn't change the fact that Austin still has a small town feeling (which is I guess why so many people like it).

My point is...if your goal it to go to a university in an "urban atmosphere", don't come to Austin.

#90 s land balla, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't think the degree of "urban-ness" is much different between Austin and most big cities. Yes, NY, SF, Chicago, DC are different (where there are dense places where people live, work, go to school, eat, take public transit, etc, all in the same areas). Maybe a case for NO too. But much different than most newer spread out big cities like Houston, Dallas, Denver, Phx, Atl--fairly marginal difference in "urban-ness" feel IMO except I'd agree on the restaurant thing (Houston kills Austin in this department).

If you looking to go to school in a relatively urban, relatively diverse, area in the SW part of the United States, Austin would be on my short list. Houston doesn't really give you an urban school experience (UH is mostly communters, Rice is primarly an isolated enclave) nor do I think Dallas provide's much an alternative. Nowhere in Texas or between the coasts is like an NYU, Colombia, G-town, American U, etc.

12. unodostres

unodostres Member

Did you do go for business? Because i am thinking about UVA for business instead of UT maybe if UVA is a better school.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

halfbreed hit the nail right on the head: "It doesn't matter how smart you are if you don't apply yourself."

You're right in that being in the Top 10% doesn't necessarily mean you're smarter than 90% of your school, but it does mean you have better grades than 90% of the your school and that's what colleges are going to go on.