1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Rafer turned the corner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kokopuffs, Mar 23, 2007.

1. fredthered

fredthered Member

Head and Battier are almost always in the corners, which make it an easy pass when Tmac is in the lane, while Rafer is closer to the top of the key, behind Tmac. I dont know if that really has anyting to do with it (the fact Head and Battier are better shooters might help), but it would make sense.

2. maitredebwx

maitredebwx Member

For Rafer's D, there is one thing I have to point out. Rafer does have problem against the strong PGs, like Tinsley, Billups, Davis. Every night vs those team, their PG has a big game. But he has no problem against the quick PGs like Nash, Williams, Paul. Everytime we meet those teams their PG plays normally or even worse.

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, I think he's turned the corner. The Rockets are rolling now with Yao back, and Rafer has been a big part of that with his efficiency. If Rafer, T-Mac, Yao, and Shane are all close to full health come playoff time, then this team should go to at least 7 games in the second round. Rafer is proving to be very efficient right now, and I don't think it's just a hot streak. I predict he keeps it up for the most part.

4. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

Rafer is making progress but he still have to upgrade his game in order to stop the likes of Steve Nash and Tony Parker in the playoff. I hate to speak the truth but at this time he's still the weakless link of the team.

5. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

I dont think Rafer necessarily turned the corner, I feel that he is back to his original role as a ball distributor and the man that controls the tempo of the game. Now that TMac and Yao are back and healthy, he can fall back as a complimentary role player and floor leader. His shooting has improved bc he is not forced to take bad shots anymore, the offense is running alot smoother and with yao and mac playing, other role players can step back to their normal roles and contribute within their comfort level.

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Rafer is open and Yao finds him because teams have to leave someone open when they double Yao - and who lese but to leave our worst shooter open? That's why Yao passes it to rafer. T-mac just doesn't have confidence in rafer.

Now - as for our third option - No one is the third option - and no one should be. That's why we don't have wells playing.

Our offensive options should always be T-mac and Yao - and our role players should only score in the flow of the offense revolving around those two.

Howard, Hayes, Rafer, Head, and Battier. All should score based on ball movement and getting a really good look/high precentage shot.

None of them should be trying to create their own shot. Only Yao and T-mac should do that.

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

true, but battier has match-ups against him that favors him, and lots of time during the season, i've seen him do post up moves agaisnt other small-forwards, which my imo, is also a good play.

8. redao

redao Member

You need to throw away your data and watch the game.
    Tinsley abused Rafer again , again and again.... it was ugly.

9. redao

redao Member

Why does Rafer have no problem against quick PGs? Is Rafer the quickest? :confused:

I think Rafer has problem againt any PG who has some scoring ability. Nash should focus on scoring next time to show that Rafer's D sucks.

10. Blotto

Blotto Member

I'm not trying to be critical or anything, but I just noticed that those two statements in your signature don't match. FWIW, one says we'll lose in the second round and the other says we'll lose in the first.

But, to stick with the topic, I'm of the opinion that Rafer was brought here to play with T-Mac and Yao, so judgment on his effectiveness should be withheld unless that's happening. And it has been lately, coincidentally while he's been playing effectively.

11. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

No he has not.

When he has a good game, he will have several stinking bombs right after.

Guaranteed.

:cool:

12. MoonWalker

MoonWalker Member

come on guys
    Rafer has been in the league for years and he's now only worth 420m
    So what do you guys expect? Wish he could play like Mr Nash?
    He's done well this year but still not good enough
    And right now he's all we have ( u dont expect JL3 or Head to play his part do you?)
    So maybe Rafer hater should take a break

PS: I'm not Rafer lover as well..

13. MoonWalker

MoonWalker Member

actually I meant to say 4.2 million not 420 million

hehe