1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rH's new system?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Oct 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

In rH PC news, I have just stumbled across a Dell PIII-800 NT Machine with a 15" flat panel monitor for 500 clams! New, never used, with a clean HD... just the operating system and a network card.

I'm gonna be a networked, dual monitor using fool...

I'd like to use my old PC for storage (40GB HD) and CD burning and have the PIII for my graphics and surfing machine...possibly getting a dual video card and running 2 monitors off of one machine.. if anyone has any advice or would like to try to talk me out of buying this system, I'm willing to listen...
    :p

rH

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

where did ya find it!

3. rockHEAD

Hey Nomar...

I'll be getting it from a friend.

rH

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The PIII 800 is probably an Optiplex- used for small businesses. Probably has 3 dimm slots for up to 784MB SDRAM. Typically Opti's are not your graphics machines. They are mainly used for NT and 2000 in a networked environment. With that being said, $500 is a good deal with the FP monitor. Go for it, man.

5. rockHEAD

ok... here's what I got

Dell Optiplex
    PIII-866
    256 Megs of RAM
    15" Flat Panel
    10GB HD
    Windows NT

my friend got a lot (a group of items, not a whole bunch) of items from an auction and a couple of these were these systems...

he kept one for himself and sold me the other!

baqui, this machine will run the Corel Graphics Suite and that's all I really need...not graphic intensive stuff like major Adobe Programs and Digital Video... I just do desktop type graphic applications and websurfing...and now, networking!

can anyone recommend a basic networking website or a good book on the subject? I need to network this PC with my old PC and my laptop! I have a Linksys DSL router and now just need some Cat5 and some knowledge...

:)

rH

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

where are these auctions. onlin auctions???

7. rockHEAD

no... not an online auction, it was just a local auction he went to, like one of those storage unit auctions... he bid on a lot of items with some tools he wanted and these PC's were in there along with the tools.. pretty lucky...

rH

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

rockHead for networking...start here

and if you have any questions, email me and I'll be glad to help out however I can.

#8 Rockets2K, Oct 5, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2001
  9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member