1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Ward staying...have no fear

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Oct 5, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Like I said in an earlier post, the Knicks have no plans to trade KKKHarlie Ward...

Scott Layden and Jeff Van Gundy Thursday put an end to all rumors that point guard Charlie Ward is on his way out, presumably to Golden State. That is a big relief to Rockets fans, who were sweating an earlier Peter Vecsey report that the Knicks were trying to land one of the Warriors' big men by dangling Ward, thus clearing the way for the Warriors to match Marc Jackson's offer sheet with the Rockets.

Ward, who has been on the media's trading block since he arrived in New York, was mentioned in several trade scenarios this summer, mostly involving the Warriors. However, a big contract combined with a 15-percent trade kicker was enough to scare just about everyone away. Ward, who is in a battle with Mark Jackson and Howard Eisley for minutes at point guard sounds like the Knicks' guy -- at least for now.

"My point to Charlie was I don't want him to think -- because of what is being rumored -- that he's being phased out," Van Gundy told the New York Post. "Charlie's meant too much to our team and personally to me to [have him] think I would make a decision like that. I also said to him, 'No one can say they'll never be traded.' However, Layden said he anticipated that all three point guards would be on the Knicks' roster at the start of the season.

That revelation lifts another stumbling block for the Rockets, who have yet to hear back from the Warriors as to whether they'll match Houston's offer sheet to Marc Jackson. Sources close to the Warriors have told Insider that they will not match the offer if they cannot move one of their big men. With the Knicks now presumably out of the picture, it looks like Jackson is even more likely to go to the Rockets.

The Warriors have 12 more days to mull things over, but sources close to the Rockets still expect to hear something from the Warriors soon.

2. NJRocket

Just an FYI...Layden also said that the Knicks would "go to battle with the team they have" about 3 days before he pulled the trigger on the Rice to Houston deal...

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you trying to make oeilpere's ignore list?

4. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

So why doesn't GS just match Jackson's sheet and trade Dampier to us for Williams?

5. NJRocket

I suppose they could, but I think Id rather just be able to sign M Jax. I think Id also take Foyle over Dampier being that Erick is very inury prone and Foyle played well last year when M Jax went out and Dampier was hurt.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I feel a little better, but GMs spin stories all the time. I can see Layden saying that to Ward just in case a potential trade falls through and there isn't any backlash. Something has/had to be up for the Warriors to go so long without even contacting the Rockets.

7. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Can you imagine a team with Cato AND Dampier!? Nauseating, to say the least.

8. Toast

Toast Member

This article was probably written by the same ESPN Insider who said GS was gonna match Marc Jackson's offer sheet with the Rockets.

However, I choose to believe that the situation changed when the Rockets made a call to NY and said, "You know that $ you were supposed to give us because of Glen Rice's foot injury ... well, why don't you just keep it" ;)

9. Houstone

Houstone Member

[​IMG]

Cato's pissed at somebody....

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

That's not Cato... ;)

11. NJRocket

The one drinking the water is...

12. Houstone

Houstone Member

I think Cato is feeling bad cause he hurt Dan Langhi's ankle...:)

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Fitting that Cato appears to have a baby bottle. . .

#13 RocksMillenium, Oct 5, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2001
  14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

My bad... I thought it was Glen Rice who was checking out Cat... :D

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Because that is against the CBA. Rockets and GS basically can't say anything to each other unless it is GS ending their 15 day matching period.

Such a trade would put us in the Timberwolves situation.

16. drpepper

drpepper Member

That is Rice!