1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

REMIINDS ME OF PIPPEN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLAGRANT1, Oct 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

These comments recently made by Cato sound more like a cry for help than anything. Similiar to when Scottie said some things in the offseason to write his ticket, I think Kelly is trying to initiate a
    trade. As stupid as he is he's smart enough to know where he is not wanted. Unfortunately, in order to pull this off we must take someone elses feces. I'm willing are the Rox? Three names:

Derrick Coleman-Long on potential short on results(sound familiar) but thankfully only two years left on his deal

Big Country- similiar contract situation but he plays hard--he's not that good but he plays hard therefore he is an upgrade

LJ-I know Gramama is done but he is a recognized team leader, respected by other players(not Zo) and a native Texan. Strike that last part Dallas doesn't count.

please reply or add names to this list I just want Cato gone. I didn't even want Quitten gone as bad as Kelly.:eek:

2. enbehay

enbehay Member

At least Big Country has the size, bulk, rebounding and shooting/scoring ability. He's not quick but the zone assists a slower center. He definitely would not be my first choice, but in a pinch I wouldn't be unhappy.

A better approach would be to go after a center from Chicago (Miller + Bagarac) or Cleveland (Mihm) or LAC (Candy Man). I prefer the Chicago option, but would be very happy with Mihm. Olawakandi (spelling?) would be the worst choice but he is on an upward learning curve.

3. OT

OT Member

No one in their right mind will take Cato!!!!! We are stuck with his sorry a$$.

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I'd rather have a fat @ss (Charles, where are you?)!!!

5. Dickerson

Dickerson Member

wanna have fat @ss on your roster?
    ...let´s go and sign thomas hamilton!!

cato for mihm + throw in - i´d do this trade, but would cleveland??

6. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Can we buyout his contract like the Knicks are attempting to do w/ LJ?

#6 FLAGRANT1, Oct 2, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
  7. enbehay

enbehay Member

If he doesn't produce (and I'm reserving judgment until the season opener), that isn't a bad idea. However, failing that, couldn't the Rockets just suspend him without pay for every little infraction or backtalk -- and give it back for superior performance?

8. Jardinero

Jardinero Member

Hey, if the 'Stros can shake loose a Lima, the 'Kets can certainly find a sap to sop up the Absolute Zero.

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Big Country's contract is NOT comparable to Cato's. It's about 50% more in fact (like, almost 15 million over three years). I'm not really that interested in this, but given the rumors that NY really wants to dump Charlie Ward for a center, we might be able to ship Cato over there for Ward. I don't know why we'd do this other than to secure our chances of signing Jackson, but if you want to get rid of Cato THAT bad...

Not that I blame you. I've completely given up on him after the comments he's made.

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Cato isn't going anywhere. Jason Collier and Marc Jackson need a practice dummy.

11. Yakeem ASunKing

i'm bettin' on the Taurus.
    I'd rather have a player who does not play hard but is capable, than a player who plays his heart out and is still a bust. If the rockets wanted to do Cato for Big Country, they could have done it a while ago.
    Cato's comments are nothing at all like Pippen's.
    Pippen blasted the entire organization and especially Charles Barkley, who played much harder/ better than Pip that year. Cato has blasted no one except Cato blasters.
    I really don't like defending Cato, but, maybe that "fire" statement will be what really gets him going. Every year he promises to live up to his ability, and then gets hurt... comes back, plays like he doesn't care (probably doesn't) and sucks for the rest of the year, until the next when he promises that he'll do better.
    This year he is Not promising to do better, and it's a Good Thing!
    This year he is saying that his fire is the same as its always been, so, if he should have that break out year that every Rocket fan has predicted at least once over Cato's bumpy tenure, if he should elevate his game, it will appear that his game has always been elevated. He just happens to be the type of player who appears bored (Ralph Sampson, Robert Horry, Eddie Griffin?). He may even be bored, i could care less if he will start producing.
    The off chance that he does start earning his money makes all talk of trading him for junk stupid.

p.s.
    read CBFC's Blineberry post

12. Miggidy Markell

That could be true because you see Kelvin trying to post up to get shot attempts but is usually waved off. I can understand why Steve or anyone else would wave him off but I think we should give him a chance. With the statements he made, I am not overly concerned because I think he feels the team has already made their mind up that he is a liability on the offensive end. He needs to sit down with CD and Rudy and they need to talk to him about what both sides want. That is if they haven't already. To sum this all up, Cato just needs to mature and realise weeping ain't goin to get you anywhere.

13. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I just got this trade accepted on realgm:

Houston gets:

Charles Oakley a veteran hardnose rebounder

Greg Anthony a defensive minded and very capable backup point guard

**both players in the last year of their contract**

Chicago gets:

Guess who? Kelly Cato> He is tall and in preseason shape
    Damn Lanky> forward with range ,Insurance against Chandler flopping
    K9> boards off the bench ,more than capable backup to Fizer
    moochie @ 4yrs $14,725,000> better than any point they have now
    +3,000,000 in cash considerations

I tried to get Jamal Crawford but I would have been forced to part with the Wiz(bad karma to trade a terp, look at Van..Memphis)

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

No way the Bulls make that deal. They just acquired Oakley to be the father of Curry and Chandler.

No way do the Bulls want Cato to be the influence of the teenagers.

Also, they have a Langhi, in Jud Buechler.

And they just signed Greg Anthony.

Now if we threw in some pizzas and some buffalo wings, maybe Krause would bite, in every sense of the word.

15. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Why would they need Oakley to be their father when we all know Shawn Kemp has fathered all the lottery picks in this previous draft except Pau Gasol.

Jud Beuchler is on the Phoenix roster.

They traded for Anthony but would probably be interested in a young penetrating guard.

Besides those veterans may be inclined to play for a winning team in their last days and we all know Chicago is playing this season for Jason Williams.

I still don't have the heart to trade Walt.

next year we would be under the cap about 11 million.

16. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

----PROPOSED TRADE #2-----

Houston gets:

Kurt Thomas from New York
    Greg Anthony, Jamal Crawford, and Jake Voskuhl from Chicago

New York gets:

Charles Oakley, and Dalibor Bagaric from Chicago
    Kelvin Cato from the ben.....er Houston

Chicago gets:

Othella Harrington, and Charlie Ward from New York
    Dan Langhi, Kenny Thomas, and Moochie(signed @
    4yrs/14,725,000) and 2mill cash considerations from Houston

TRADE ACCEPTED

depth charts

Rox
    MJax/Collier/Voskuhl
    Kurt Thomas/ Griffin
    Rice/TMo/Wiz
    CAT/Torres
    WINK/Anthony

IR: MoT/Crawford

Knicks:
    Camby/Cato/Bagaric
    Oak/ 'Spoon
    Spree/Shandn
    Houston
    Jackson/Eisley

Bullz
    Miller/Othella/Curry
    Fizer/K9/Chandler
    Robinson/Langhi
    Mercer/Artest
    Mooch/Ward

#16 FLAGRANT1, Oct 4, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2001
  17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Ummm..........I..........I just traded Cato and got Moochie a starting gig :eek: Shouldn't yall throw me a parade or something;)

18. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Boo birds are calling. :D