1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe there won't be any Afghans left by the time we attack...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ottomaton, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ebola-style killer virus sweeps Afghan border
    By Tim Butcher in Quetta

THE largest outbreak in history of a highly contagious disease that causes patients to bleed to death from every orifice was confirmed yesterday on Pakistan's frontier with Afghanistan.

At least 75 people have caught the disease so far and eight have died. An isolation ward screened off by barbed wire has been set up in the Pakistani city of Quetta, and an international appeal has been launched for help.

Evidence suggests the outbreak of Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever emanates from within Afghanistan, raising fears of an epidemic if millions of refugees flee across the frontier into Pakistan.

CCHF has similar effects to the ebola virus. Both viruses damage arteries, veins and other blood vessels and lead to the eventual collapse of major organs.

As one doctor put it, a patient suffering from haemorrhagic fever "literally melts in front of your eyes".

At the Fatima Jinnah Chest and General Hospital in Quetta, capital of the Pakistani province of Baluchistan, an isolation ward with eight treatment beds and two observation bays has been set up.

Nine-year-old Ismail Sadiq lay on one of the beds yesterday, his body wracked with fever and a wad of cotton wool stuffed into each nostril to stem the bleeding.

Outside members of his family sat anxiously in the shade of a tree. An elderly gentleman worked a string of worry beads through his fingers, but doctors had forbidden all visits.

The only people Ismail now sees are doctors and nurses wearing the complete "barrier nursing" outfit of sterilised hairnet, mask, gloves, gown and overshoes.

(later in the article)

The virus is widely distributed in the blood of sheep, cattle and other mammals across eastern Europe, Asia and Africa. It can be passed to man by a species of tick, Hyalomma marginatum, common in the same areas.

Click here for the full story

When the article brought up Sheep as the carrier, my thoughts immediately turned to rockHEAD, and his beautiful photo of Ossama bin Laden as a possible transmission vector...

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

My god! I say get the troops out of there, it's a freak show over there! I wonder if the U.S. and U.N. medical staff essentially being forced to leave had anything to do with the outbreak? I'm assuming they would probably have some kind of vaccine if it started to spread all of a sudden and so quickly.

LOL!

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

we probably put it there

4. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Just so you know there is no vaccine against Ebola. It is a particularly nasty virus named for the river which goes through the area it was first found and has fatality rates anywhere from 30% to 70%.

The Coming Plague has lots of info on it and other nasty bugs.

5. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

deleted

#5 kpsta, Oct 4, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2001
  6. Major

Major Member

<B>I wonder if the U.S. and U.N. medical staff essentially being forced to leave had anything to do with the outbreak?</B>

<B>we probably put it there</B>

From the article:

<I>Dr Akhlaq Hussain, the hospital's medical superintendent, said: "The first cases came in June. There were a number of deaths, but at first we did not know what was the cause."</I>

It didn't have anything to do with us, unless we were messing with them in June.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Or they released it unknowingly upon themselves trying to isolate it for germ warfare.

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

mc mark-
    I tend to agree with you there. We know there would be severe backlash in PR if we drop a virus, but it has been said that Bin Laden has experimented with chemical/germ warfare.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

My thoughts exactly............

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Ouch, didn't know there wasn't any vaccine for what they were infected with. I agree with you guys, no way the U.S. drops that in there, but I like your theory mc mark that they may have been testing for germ warfare. I can see the Taliban and his sick crew testing out the warfare on his own people and it getting out of hand. If bin Laden had been planning this attack for the better part of a year I'm sure he has been testing things in the case of a retaliation.

11. cson

cson Contributing Member

You really over/under estimate us. It has become public that we tried as early as '99 to finish-off Bin Laden....

Remeber, W. said this would be fought "on several fronts, not all will make the news."

(P.S. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist either )

12. Major

Major Member

<B>You really over/under estimate us. It has become public that we tried as early as '99 to finish-off Bin Laden.... </B>

Like I said, <I>unless we were messing with them in June</I>. But then, why would we try to engage in Bio-warfare/experiments in Afghanistan in June? Bio-warfare is not going to help kill Bin Laden.

13. cson

cson Contributing Member

True, true.

14. treeman

treeman Member

It would not surprise me at all if this was an accidental outbreak due to Al Qaeda experimentation. The CIA has been alarmed for months about an abnormally high number of dead animal carcasses (mainly sheep/goats) seen around bin Laden's camps in recent months. I had thought it was probably anthrax, but this makes even more sense...

Osama has repeatedly threatened that he will attack us with "Ebola-like" germs if he has the chance... CCHF is apparently much easier to get a sample of than Ebola. Of course, the disease does occasionally naturally occur in the region, so it may just be a coincidence... Maybe.

As for the notion that this was done by the US, that is ludicrous. We ended our offensive biowarfare program nearly 30 years ago, and threw the doors wide open for everyone to see. We even let the Russians in to inspect USAMRIID and other facilities during the Cold War to prove that we ended it. That is, incidentally, why we are so unprepared for a bio attack right now...