1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upgrade or Replace?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TraJ, Oct 4, 2001.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

Here's what I have:

Dell XPS-T 450 (Pentium III 450), 224 MB RAM (PC100), 8.5 MB hard drive, DVD (hardware decoder), 100 MB zip (although don't necessarily have to have one), graphics card with 32 MB, Dell's 17" Trinitron monitor.

I honestly don't do all that much on the computer. I don't really play games. I mostly use a word processor and goof around on the internet. If I upgrade, here's likely what I'm going to do:

Full version of Windows XP (I don't think I'm going to just buy the upgrade; clean install), 40 GB hard drive (maybe partition and put Linux on as well), CD-RW, and perhaps another processor/ motherboard (although I can't really see why I would need more than a 1 gig processor).

I know I can expect about $200 or so for Windows XP home edition. (Actually, I'm sure I will be able to find it for less.) What would I be looking at price wise for a decent 40GB hard drive, CD-RW, and upgrade in processor/motherboard? Would it be worth it to just upgrade?

I know you can find new PC's for pretty cheap, but I don't want integrated graphics or sound, and I don't want a DVD with a software decoder. I probably wouldn't be able to get a comparable monitor, but I could always keep the one I've got even if I do get a new computer.

Also, should I think about new cooling? If so, what?

#1 TraJ, Oct 4, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2001
  2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

8.5 MB HDD? That's awfully small storage. :)

For the short term, you could upgrade, but I would go ahead and buy or build a new system. You'll be amazed at how fast some of those 1+ GHz Athlon systems run. Add in a ton of cheap memory, and multitasking is really easy.

Or you could buy the desktop system that my group designed, the Dell Dimension 4300. Starts at $899. Not bad.

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

Smart alec! :)

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If all you do is goof around on the Internet and need a word processor, do you really need to upgrade?

5. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I agree with DoD. If all you are doing is surfing and some word processing, what you already have is fine.

6. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Go spend $800 bucks on something else. Your computer is fine. If it's running slow, just reformat. Keep windows 98, it's fine. Everything you have is perfectly fine. Why change? I don't think you could notice the difference.

I'm up to 25 track recording on my Dell 450, works great.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I third the "do you really need to upgrade" motion. Just install a CDRW on your current system, forego the Windows XP registration nightmares and continue surfing on your current set up... why spend the money?

rH
    (who's been surfing on his PII-400 for about 3.5 years now...)

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

You guys are no fun. :)