1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anyone been to croatia?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gbritton, Mar 15, 2007.

1. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

im planning on going to croatia during the summer...and was wondering if dubrovnik is worth hanging
    out at.

2. updawg

updawg Member

definitely, add korcula as well, the dalmatian coastline is beautiful. You'll love it

3. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Oooh. I am going there the end of May. I have no idea where to go in Croatia. Perfect time for this thread.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont remember what city I'm going to )I know its on the coast) but Im going at the end of July.

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Nope. Not sure why. I think it was kinda violent when I wondered what it would be like to vacation in Croatia.

6. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

yes went there this past summer...dubrovnik is only reachable by ferry i believe, so it's a bit of a hassle as it's not on the train line...but it's well worth it. best city in croatia hands down. cool little town, great beaches...also worth checking out is Hvar. I could have done without visiting Split.

7. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I lived over in the area for a couple of years
    you'll love it, croatia is very very very niiiice

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

After hearing updawg's stories about the coast I would love to get out there once in my life -- sounds amazing.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I went through part of it on a train during March, about 30 years ago. Seemed fine to me! ;)

Seriously, (well, I was serious, but it didn't help you) my wife has a bunch of Dutch cousins that vacation around Dubrovnik, on the Dalmatian coast. They showed us a photo album awhile back when we were visiting them in Amsterdam, and it looked spectacular! They go to nude beaches, which was a real trip, since the couple had 3 beautiful daughters, two that were KLM stewardesses. (their father was an executive with the airline... how I love the Dutch!)

I would love to go. From what they told us, it is still relatively "undiscovered" by the hoards of American tourists during the summer, and is relatively inexpensive, compared to a large part of Europe. I think you'll freak out!

10. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I was there a few years back, it's really beautiful. The old city is completely surrounded by walls that you can walk around. It's very nice and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

11. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I've heard Dubrovnik is really beautiful. I would also like to go in the winter as I've heard the skiing there is pretty good. If Bosnia ever gets stable I would love to go skiing there too.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I drove down the Dalmation Coast in Sept-Oct 2004. Flew into Zagreb. Drove west on a sick new freeway to Pula, which was a really cool Roman city with a coliseum and forum. Then went south. Plivkvic (sp) Lakes National Park is gorgeous. then hit Split. Great nightlife, but you gotta stay in the city walls.
    Then drive south to Dubrovnik. Best drive ever. Yeah even better than PCH. Halfway down there is an island where they harvest oysters. You can eat at this fancy restuarant on the pier and eat the most amazing oysters and fish for almost nothing. YOU DONT NEED TO TAKE A FERRY TO DUBROVNIK. You can drive.....or fly. The drive is the ****. Also, I have a buddy (Ivo) who rents his townhouse across the street from the city walls of the old city. Its like $80 a night for a two bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen, etc. If you are interested, tell me. He's cool as hell, I got drunk with him and his dad. Dubrovnik may be one of the coolest cities, the people are awesome. The owner of the Troubador Jazz Club will drink you under the table....plus free internet at his outdoor cafe.