1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where were you in '94?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Mar 15, 2007.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was 5 years old, at the summit, row 16, mid-court, with my dad his friends, and Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio (sat next to us).

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Jumping up and down with my girlfriend (now wife) in our LA apartment.

She became a lifelong Rockets fan.

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I had just buried mom on April 22nd, four days later my dad came down with double pneumonia and was in the hospital when we started round one (he got better and just re-married -finally- last year).

That first championship really helped me escape all of the turmoil in my life at the time. (And even now, I can't make myself watch past game one of the finals dvds... because sadly, it brings back the mixed emotions. :( )

But after it sunk in that we won it all, I knew we'd repeat... and I certainly knew it when Clyde came on board... but that event also made me think we'd win it for like 4 in a row... which we could have.

Besides my wife (married in '96), this website and BBS have been the only staples in my life since it arrived.

Come to think of it, I'd known we'd win the first go 'round in '94 after the close-but-no-cigar year before when we lost to Seattle.

There was just a feeling around town that one of our teams would break through, and the Rockets just had the Dream put the city on his back.

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

as a young fella, i admit i was a little sad that MJ wasn't playing...

it was my sophmore summer in high school (westbury).

but then the rockets started the season 15-0! sick! MJ who?

when the rockets won the title, that summer, i was in utah and i talked all kinds of ****. it was sweet... so sweet.

5. IVAN.D.TERRIBLE

Shanghai China , at friend,s house!! all six of us did not go to the class, which was a big deal in high school over there.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I was at some Blues Bar with a big Saxaphone out front off of Richmond. (Billy Blues??) Awesome viewing part, and I was thankful they weren't asking for IDs to drink as I was only 20. The scene on Richmond after the game...I'll never forget it. I even shared a d00bie with a cop, and slam danced to some dorkie band called FREEWAY at Sam's Boat. I puked right in the middle of the pit and was all "WOOOO!"

Yeah, I was a tad bit lit.

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I was at home while my wife and her mom went shopping....had the house all to myself :D :D :D

8. Madman George

Madman George Member

I was in Greece cheering Olympiakos to the Final4. Unfortunately the title didn't come for another 3 years after I was gone..... :( :( :( :( :( Still we showed Karnisovas a thing or two.....

9. yobod

yobod Member

I was at the game, baby! I was 11 years old, we had season tickets that year, and the year after that, so I was at all the playoff games for both championship years. Talk about experiences you will NEVER forget. We sat in section 209, first row, right up against the rail, the seats were amazingly good. The best part of game 7 was watching all the New York douchebag celebrities start leaving the stadium with about a minute left, and all the fans heckling them like crazy. Spike Lee and Richard Lewis actually put on wigs as they were leaving so nobody would recognize them.....pretty hilarious.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I was in a bar in Amsterdam with three Kiwis who were buying me all my drinks and hashish that night because the American soccer team managed to beat Columbia that same day in World Cup action....we kept partying all night at the same bar when suddenly Sky Sports started showing the Rockets game.

I didnt think I was going to get to see it.

I have to admit I dont remember the whole game, but my Dad videotaped it.

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

12. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I was at home in Colorado during my junior year of HS...

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I was in a bar. Everyone went crazy and I put my head down on the bar. Non-Houstonians of younger ilk won't understand...

14. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

i was 7 years old at the time and i was watching the game in my living room with my parents.

i remember coming home from a family road trip in 1995 during game 1 against the magic. we were listening to the game on the car and we were down by like 20 so i was really sad. i told my dad to drive faster so we could get home and start watching it on tv. i went home, turned on the tv, and watched kenny smith drain 3 after 3 to fuel our comeback and hakeem's tip on drexler's miss to clinch the victory. good times. :D

15. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Game 1 of 94, I was there. I lived overseas and was back on vacation, showed up at one of the scalpers offices and got in the door (last seat obstructed view so i watched from the railing with my brother) for 70 a piece (missed tipoff but was there for all but about 1:20 of the game. For game 7 I was in Slidell lousiana . I screamed across some lake when we won. I was visiting a friend, who by the way, thought I was crazy.

Mike

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

time froze. people were honking horns in the neighborhood.
    glory. finally. by the team that deserved all that was glorious.
    the TV was CRT then, the signal was antenna
    MAXWELL FOREVER!!!

17. ipqn

ipqn New Member

I still students in 1994!

18. scyman

scyman Contributing Member

It was the summer after my freshman year of high school. I was at my friend's house with another friend of ours who was cheering for the Knicks (just to be a dick..he wasn't from NY and didn't even like them, just wanted to cheer against the Rockets). So the whole time me and one guy were talking crap to the other one..back and forth all game. When it was over we went crazy and my friend ran into his room and got red and yellow markers. I tackled the hater and held him down while my friend marked up his face with red and yellow! The hater then went crazy and in a scramble scratched my friend pretty badly. We stopped for a second, my friend was like "WTF?" then the two of us starting yelling and screaming some more. The hater called his mom to pick him up and sat there staring out the window with tears welling up in his eyes while the two of us went crazy, ran outside up and down the block ...cars honking and flashing their high beams...I'LL NEVER FORGET IT!!!

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Section 224, Row L, Seat 1 at The Summit.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was at the Big Easy (or whatever it was called back then) and decided to go running around outside until I found an apartment complex with other people running around outside and then decided to go skinny dipping.

maybe it was a good thing you stayed at home that night, instead of watching the game with me and my friends.