1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas to return to Knicks with multiyear extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by whoisray, Mar 12, 2007.

1. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Thomas to return to Knicks with multiyear extension
    By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
    March 12, 2007

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) -- Isiah Thomas got a multiyear contract extension Monday, nine months after he was warned the Knicks needed to show "evident progress" or he'd be out of a job.

With the Knicks in the hunt for a playoff spot, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan went back on his vow to wait until after the season to make his decision, saying that Thomas would return as coach and team president.

Thomas added the coaching duties to his other role in June after Dolan fired Larry Brown following one season. But along with the job came the ultimatum, though Dolan never publicly said what the Knicks needed to do this season to show that progress.

But with New York (29-34) already six wins better than last season and currently eighth in the Eastern Conference, Dolan said the improvement under Thomas "needs to be recognized now and not wait."

"I believe we have clearly seen significant and evident progress," Dolan said.

Dolan's announcement comes well ahead of schedule. When he met with the team's beat writers in December, he stressed that he wouldn't make a decision until after the season. However, the Knicks were 8-15 at the time and coming off a dismal home loss to Boston a night earlier in which they trailed by 30 points.

Things quickly got worse for Thomas, as the Knicks lost twice more that week -- the second coming in the brawl with Denver that embarrassed the organization -- to fall to a season-worst eight games under .500.

Dolan has since been impressed by a turnaround that has the Knicks on pace to make the playoffs after a two-year absence. They entered Monday with a half-game lead over Orlando for the final spot in the East.

More than the record, Dolan praised Thomas for getting the team to play together and for the improvement in the Knicks' young players. Second-year forward David Lee has become one of the NBA's best sixth men, and Eddy Curry has turned into one of the top centers in the East.

"I think every player has done well under Isiah," Dolan said. "I think we have a great future."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-knicks-thomas&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

wow, WOW; he still is a horrible GM, who is stuck in a hole with all the horrible contracts they're locked up with for the next few years.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Although I have no love for the Knicks, I couldn't be more happier for Isiah.

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

James Dolan is a MFer dummy. I feel ashame that I have worked for him.

Geeez, at minimum he should wait after this season to make his decision. What is he rushing for?

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thanks for posting this. I didn't feel like after starting a couple of other teams in other forums.

Very bad move by Dolan. There was no logical reason to do this now instead of waiting until the season ended.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I. Thomas = Luckiest Guy Alive (& Dumbest)

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

That sound you hear is champagne bottles being opened around the other teams' front offices around the league. The other owners in the atlantic division need to send Dolan some nice christmas presents.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Simply stunning. Such gross stupidity hasn't been known in an age, if not longer.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Or maybe they should try to figure out why they are behind the Knicks, which goes for every team in the division save Toronto.

Look, he's made some dumb moves as a GM, and is not a great coach - but Isiah piling on is very tired.

To his credit, he has the same team that Larry Brown, an alleged coaching genius, got nothing out of, on track for a playoff berth.

I don't think he's a great coach, or even a good coach. But in fairness he has done a LOT more with the Knicks than people expected out of them this year, and certainly out-achieved Larry Brown.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think I would get a lifetime contract as Knicks GM if I were allowed to run the team the last few years. Dolan has some pretty low standards.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's tired for you but Zeke has deserved all the criticism he's gotten. He's said and done some really dumb things as GM and coach. Improving on what the psychopath LB did last year is fine, but it doesn't merit a multi-year extension, especially since he dug the hole they are in with incredibly dumb trades and free agent signings. Because of Zeke, the Knicks have been a laughing stock with an insane payroll.

Personally, I like the drama. The extension was stupid but it's a great story to follow considering I'm not a Knicks fan. Knicks fans are great and deserve better.

13. FFz

FFz Member

Good for Isiah. I like his draft picks, but his hands as far as trades were tied the minute he became the GM of the Knicks. Hell he certainly helped us out a lot.

Thanks for taking MoTay and Moochie Isiah!

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what happened to quyntel woods?

15. SamFisher

Well if he takes them to the playoffs - exceeding everybody's expectation - at the very least he deserves a bit more than "worst GM COACH EVARRR1111111111'. And it also is deserving of mention is the fact that he's done a very good job drafting young players. And don't tell DaDakota, but if you're the type of person who believes coaches "develop" players (I really don't) then he developed Eddy Curry to another level.

Again, he has made mistakes and is not a great coach by any means.

But pile on replies like "isiah sux!!!" miss the point, and don't recognize the fact that under his tutelage the Knicks have gone from laughingstock to playoff team. I mean what does this say about Lawrence Frank? Is he an even bigger laughingstock?

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Zeke can draft and this is something even his detractors acknowledge. At the same time, he's been with the Knicks several seasons and if the best he can do is coach "his" players to the 7th or 8th spot in the East I'm not going to pat him on the back, yet. Improving on what LB did last year doesn't mean much to me because LB was trying to sabotage things to get Zeke fired.

IMO, he's earned next season if they make the playoffs. I will stay off his case until then unless he resumes lecturing opposing players.

17. SamFisher

I didn't say anybody should pat him on the back, just that whining about him being the worst coach in history is ill-timed.

Look, we all think that JVG should be coach of the year while overacheiving this year while Yao was out. Isiah is doing the same thing insofar as he is exceeding most people's expectations in the short time.

#17 SamFisher, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure if Isiah has done a good coaching job this season, or if Larry Brown's coaching last season was just totally pathetic. The Knicks weren't that bad a couple seasons ago, and their roster is at least as good as that one.

19. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

This is a r****ded(& I hate using this word) and heralded statement to all of Knicks fans. As I NBA fan, I love it...more NY problems.

The Knicks payroll is $139,264,859 with currently 29 wins and a losing record.

The Mavs are second in payroll at $92,320,604 with 52 wins.

The difference in payroll between the Knicks and Dallas is $6.6 million MORE than the entire Charlotte Bobcats payroll. The said NY payroll is greater than 3x the Bobcats, which only accounts for 7 more wins as of today.

The Knicks payroll basically double or more(much more) than 83% of the rest of the NBA teams.

I can go on and on.

Isiah is a fraud.

20. SamFisher

A not insignificant amount of that payroll dates back to Scott Layden and before.

Again, this does not make up for a lot of Thomas' silly moves. But it is part of the big picture that is overlooked.