1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Mar 10, 2007.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

With all the fuss lately about who should lead this team, I think people are forgettinga bout the play that worked so well against the Mavs 2 years ago (even though we lost due to poor officiating).

Simply put, I love the simplicity of the play and the fact that it gets both players involved. It takes away the need to try and force a pass to Yao when teams are fronting him, at the same time allows T-Mac to be the play maker while letting the defense picking who they would rather finish.

I hate the Jazz, but Stockton and Malone showed how a simple bread and butter play can be used and repeated with consistent success. You also don't hear as much about who was the "main focus" of the Jazz. The play requires two players and uses both while not forcing either player to think about who should be taking over and who should be defering.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

the entire NBA has a rep of just being pick and roll after pick and roll.

the allowance of zones has been effective against teams who rely too heavily on the screen roll.

speaking of such, i just had an awesome salad roll!!

3. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

Chuck has been taking Yao's place and do PNR with T-mac most of the time... and it is very effective due to: 1. Chuck's ability to set good pick 2.
    his fast footspeed rolling to the basket 3. and his sneaky n fast lay-up ability.

So i guess we wont see Yao n T-mac do PNR that often anymore since it costs Yao's stamina a lot. i guess they'll still do it once a while in playoff just to surprise opponents and make the offense more variable.

4. kikiscafe

kikiscafe Member

True, but 1 thing that always makes me shake my head is that how can chucky can do those lay-up during the PNR but can not be as consistent making it when point blank in front of him during fast break.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

True, but honestly, I see Yao battling for a post position in the lane and I just think to myself that the PnR would be an easier way of getting him the ball.

Plus if we are running the offense inside-out, T-Mac's playing style would have to change dramatically (instead of attacking the defense, he'd have to wait to see how the defense plays Yao and then react to it). If we're playing outside in, Yao would have to play off the ball (instead of initiating the offense, he'd have to wait for the defense to converge and spread out due to T-Mac on the perimeter, not to mention that if T-Mac is having an off night, it becomes even more difficult for Yao inside).

The PnR is a play in which T-Mac and Yao would be a threat at the SAME time and that is why I think it would be so good at taking the decision of "am I going to be the man or should I defer on this play" away from the two. Not to mention, both of our best players would be moving in unision.