1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Bonzi be out of the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 3, 2007.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There are some indications that JVG is seriously considering replacing Bonzi with Snyder in the rotation. In the Chronicle, JVG says:

Obviously, he's seriously considering removing Bonzi from the rotation (unless he wants to change his tune and play both Bonzi and Snyder), if you just read between the lines. After the Toronto game, he said that he needs to find a better rotation. I don't think it's a coicidence that he came to this decision just when Bonzi got injured. Bonzi being out gives the coach and excuse to try something else, and perhaps "stick with what's working" when Bonzi is healthy again.

So, what's going to happen. What should happen? It's been pointed out that our win/loss record in games that Bonzi hasn't played has been far better than in games he has played. I haven't looked at those records after Yao's injury, though.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Having Snyder out there definitely improves our defense a few notches from having Bonzi in. Bonzi is inconsistent but a flat out better offensive player than Snyder. However, Snyder is better at every other aspect of the game (rebounding, defense, quickness, etc).

I think the Rockets do themselves a disservice playing only one of the two players, I think JVG needs to find a way to use both guys effectively given the type of opponent we're playing and the problems we might be having on any given night (i.e. based on matchups).

I think against the slower teams Bonzi would be more effective; against teams like the Suns or the Raptors or even Denver Snyder gives us the ability to counter some of their strengths.

Regardless, we will need BOTH on the playoff roster because it gives us more flexibility with the matchups, especially against teams like the Suns and the Mavs.

3. Pocket Rockets

play both depending on matchups...if you want to play just one, then wait for the playoffs

we need a deep rotation so players like battier and juwan and deke dont tire out in the playoffs

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Bonzi has way too much upside to not get playing time - i'm sure he was out for a legit injury.

5. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Rebounding? Are you serious?! :eek:

Bonzi is one of the best rebounder at his position. He is a way better rebounder than Kirk Snyder. I love Snyder - he plays with energy and he can leap out of the building but Wells is a far better rebounder. How? He always know where the ball will fall - he might not be able to jump as high as Snyder but to say Snyder is a better rebounder is far far off.

I don't think Bonzi will lose his rotation. JVG loves veteran - and Bonzi can give them a huge lift off the bench. He is a far better rebounder and offensive player. Plus he gives 1 -2 steals a night.

6. Rockets Dynasty

So all the people bashing the members here for complaining about the rotation and JVG doing it wrong...................

how do they explain this?

I suppose they never argued this.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

They won't say a word

8. anitasri

anitasri Member

It all becomes a situational perspective. If our offensive is doing well then Snyder can provide the Defensive edge. If we struggle offensively then we need to press Bonzi in.

I really dont think Bonzi is a bad defender- sure Snyder is better. But offensively and experience wise Bonzi is a better offensive option. IT also becomes an issue of match-ups. We just cant have a cookie cutter rotation regardless of the reality of the game and match ups.

Frankly- we should consider a 10 person rotation, again not for every game- but in games that are not really going our way.

We should also consider some minutes shaved off Luther/Rafer- Frankly Both Snyder and Bonzi are better than Luther when it comes to size- Luther is important, but the only thing he consistently offers is the 3 point shot. On days he is off- we should not have too many minutes for him and award that to Bonzi or Snyder depending on whether we need offense or more defense.

9. daaum

daaum Member

we have three guyz that we must play off bench or in rotation somehow...luther head, bonzi wells, and kirk snyder....i like the way bonzi plays, he is big body that would give other team problem if he get ball downlow.....team can control head and snyder because of their height....but head is good 3 pointer so they have to giv him some presence...
    the best way to play this out is having battier move to four, bring in bonzi at three and have one of either head of snyder in two or one if t-mac is in....but i havnt seen t-mac/battier/wells all together yet but that would be awesome match up problem in playoff.....so have line up of yao/battier/bonzi/t-mac/head is not that bad....then switch out head with snyder as he is better defensive player and a defensive match up of yao/battier/bonzi/t-mac/snyder is pretty good.

10. aamir

aamir Member

I always have question those that say the Rockets are not a deep team, when its a realistic (and true to life) argument to keep Snyder or Bonzi on the bench... either player could serve as a legitimate starter for most teams.

But I really wish JVG would consider playing both, possibly by limiting some of Luther's minutes. I really fear that JVG is too worried about the chemistry, so when he makes his decision, he will stay with that rotation regardless of the match-ups... so that the chemistry is not jeopardized. I understand the muddled look that JVG was talking about but its still something to consider.

Both players provide really strong looks for our team. Bonzi is a step slow on defense, though he does seem to inexplicably make some great defensive plays from behind the guy with the ball, but his offense and rebounding are great looks for our team. I love having another guy willing to crash the mid-range to interior zones, especially with Yao out. Snyder is quick and super athletic, and can provide a strong aggressive spark, but in most games he seems a bit timid on the offensive end... He's got the speed and the skill to drive it in willingly, possibly even better than Mac, but seems to settle in his possessions early for some reason.

Regardless, our team looks great with either of them in the rotation. Would be amazing if we could fit in both though...

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, I would love to see JVG play both of them in some fashion without taking away minutes from each other. Bonzi just brings way to much to the table on the offensive end and defensively his rebounding and steals are crucial against teams like Dallas, San Antonio and the Suns when every possession counts. Remember if this team has to play a first round matchup against a big Utah team, it will be a very physical series and having a nasty knife fighter like Bonzi is going to be a huge plus when the cards are on the table.

12. durvasa

Anyone who thought JVG's rotations with Bonzi was perfect and shouldn't be changed -- they'd be conflicted.

I can't speak for others, but I never said JVG's rotations/decisions were perfect. In particular, I questioned keeping Snyder out of the rotation. And I think JVG overvalues Luther Head.

But I do have a sense of what won't work -- starting Spanoulis for instance. And there are other issues where I don't feel strongly either way (do we play Lucas or Spanoulis as the backup-backup PG?).

13. durvasa

The legitimacy of the injury isn't being questioned. But JVG is using this opportunity to try something else.

14. Rockets Dynasty

Perhaps you should ask yourself why is JVG only right in some instances and only wrong in some others?

15. durvasa

There isn't a person on earth who isn't right in some instances and wrong in others.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bonzi, at his best, is a far superior basketball player that you can do far more with in offensive sets than Kirk Snyder. Snyder's pretty much been a bench player everywhere he's been. Sure he's started a few games for other teams, but he's averaged 7th and 8th man minutes.

If Bonzi ever found his rhythm, he is that 3rd go-to guy we so badly need at times. The guy can be option 1 or 2 when needed and put up 15-20 ppg. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to do that with the Rockets. JVG has given him a lot of opportunities (when in shape).

Snyder, on the other hand, is a better defender, and that's about it. As long as he doesn't make boneheaded plays, he's ok in the rotation. JVG, Byron Scott, and I think Jerry Sloan have all said some not-so-nice things about the guy and his demeanor which worries me a bit.

I dunno. Giving Snyder the nod basically lets me know Bonzi won't be the steal I was hoping for anytime soon. :(

17. durvasa

I think Snyder is also a better a finisher, and he doesn't turn the ball over as much in traffic. I also think Snyder is an underrated passer. He has some nice drive and dish skills.

Since he's been in Houston, he seems to have had a pretty good attitude. JVG's problem with him might be that his concentration can waiver. I don't think his basketball instincts are good as Bonzi's.

18. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Not good news at all IMO. I just can't forsee Snyder being much of a factor in the playoffs, unlike Bonzi. I don't really see what Snyder brings to the table over Bonzi besides jumping higher and maybe better defense. If JVG pushes Bonzi out of the rotation our "steal of the season" will make major progress towards being a bust.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

About time JVG has seen the light. Bonzi has not played like he should be untouchable, he has been in and out of the lineup and hasn't found his rhythm in March. Play Snyder open up the spot for some competition and let the better man win.

20. pacman

pacman Member

Also, with the way Deke is playing now, one could argue that he was overplaying Yao prior to his injury. He was playing him close to 40 minutes a game. Sure, we were winning then but giving heavy minutes will come back to us in the long term. We have a deep bench, it would be a waste if we couldn't utilize it. We could try taking all five starters out and replacing them with a second five unit to close out quarters or to commence certain quarters, that way there would always be fresh legs on the floor and the substitution doesn't get confusing. If someone is playing well in the second unit we can insert him with the other starters or it would give us a better picture as to who is having an off-night or good night at a particular game. Anyway, its just my two cents worth.....