1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas's Role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Joe, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What will his role be in this upcoming season?

Cato starts at center
    Marc will probably start PF and backup Cato.
    Griffin will get his minutes at the 4.
    Collier also gets some time at the 5.

Kenny will offer the rockets good depth this year, but won't play a minute for the rokets past this season when Mo returns.

The rocketys chemistry will be bad early this year, so it would be a good idea to trade him now if the rockets plan to move him after the season. The rockets would only have to reintegrate Mo next year.

Kenny is not a bad player to have, but I don't see him long term.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I doubt he's going anywhere this season unless a unbelievable deal comes along because we just exercised an option on him for next season.

3. kubli

kubli Member

I'd rather see Kenny start and have MJ and Cato compete for that starting 5 spot. Kenny has proven that he can score and rebound, lets see how he does defensively against other PF's before we take his starting job away.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Kenny Thomas will be our starting power forward,with either Marc Jackson or Cato as the starting center. Collier will come off the bench at the 5 spot.
    Griffin will backup Kenny at the 4. When Jackson becomes more familiar with the players at times both he and Cato will be on the floor together provided if Cato starts playing well.
    Kenny will then come off the bench. Griffin will also gets minutes at the 3 as a backup for Rice.
    Rudy will give more minutes to the guys that he thinks are more likely to succeed.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Kenny will foul out if he starts. If he doesn't foul out, he will give up 40 points a night to the PF's in the West. He just does not have the size or skills to play more than 15-20 minutes a game.

As bad as he sucks, Cato is more of a legit starter than Kenny.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The main thing about landing Marc Jackson, to me, is: what to do with all these forwards? I'm not complaining, we have great depth, but duplication of too many players. Walt, Lanky (unless he plays some 2), KT, Collier. (Mo, Griff, and Marc Jackson aren't going anywhere, but their roles will need definition, especially, of course, when Mo returns.)

I suppose the future starting Rox team will be: Steve, Cat, Griff, Mo, Jax. Off the bench: Mooch, Lanky, Terrence, KT, Cato?

I wouldn't be stunned to see a trade of some sort, but with which teams, and for which players?

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

KT will start. Rudy is loyal like that. Rudy won't give the new guy, a sophmore, the start unless he earns it.

But we'll see lots of subs and probably early in the game.

What might be an interesting experiment is Cato at 4. He is mobile enough and he might be a more effective shot blocker. If Marc is pulling down boards, then why not put Cato in position to streghten the only thing he does well.

It may not work out (probably not) but it would be interesting to see.

-krosfyah

8. Yakeem ASunKing

roxtxia
    were you planning on keeping Glen Rice on the IR???

9. j-bone

j-bone Member

Personally, I think that Marc Jackson will start at center with Griffin eventually beating out Thomas for the power forward spot. I would prefer Jackson at center any way to collect rebounds instead of chasing these athletic power forwards around the perimiter.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Rockets management have given off the signals that Cato will be given a chance to start at center, and that Griffin won't be a starter for 2 years. I think the starting line-up will look like this:

Jackson
    Cato
    Rice
    Mobley
    Francis

Griffin will be a top player off the bench. That way he eases into the league, and he will get time at the 3 and some at the 4. KT will be the main backup behind Jackson along with Griffin, and Griffin will back up Rice. Jackson and Cato gives Houston a tall lineup, and should help on the glass. I just don't see Kenny Thomas getting the starting PF spot when you have Marc Jackson, and when the Rockets hope/need Cato to be a solid rebounder and big time shot-blocker.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong; I am thrilled to get Marc Jackson, but Kenny definitely puts up the same numbers if he was on a pitifully depleted team. Plus he is quicker (especially laterally) than what I've heard about Marc.

RocketsMillenium,

You continue to make it fun to read cc.net in this dry spell of Sept. It's like, I don't have to post when I read yours. But this one I disagree with. You talk about signals from Rox mgmt. Well, they also have said Kenny is the starter, and even Marc says he is a center.

Cato will have to fight for his job. You must make him fight for it!! I don't want camp run with the idea that Marc is competing with Kenny. If Cato plays extremely well (and I'm sure the Rockets are much, much better measuring his game vs 2 camps ago...lol!), then we look at whether Marc played well enough to just force Rudy to start him. imo, it will take both Marc and Cato to play very well to dislodge K9.

I'll tell you what. Out of the three, I can guarantee you that Kenny is the one who is going to work his freaking ass off to be the starter. With Eddie and Mo's 6yr contract, Kenny has to realize he may be moving teams. He has to seize this opportunity and make a name for himself in this league before it is too late.

<b>My money is on K9, since he has way more to lose than Cato and Marc with their cush 6yr deals.</b>

He is the proven hard worker, and hard-nosed player. Plus he knows the offense. On my depth chart, K9 gets the nod heading into camp. Both Cato and Jackson are going to have to play very well to their potential. If only one does, he will be the starting center, and the other will come off the bench.

#11 heypartner, Sep 29, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2001
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When I wrote future starting lineup, I meant the non-immediate future. Of course, with Rice in the fold for three years, such a lineup (Steve, Cat, EG, Mo, MJ) would hafta wait awhile.

13. enbehay

enbehay Member

There will be many who will disagree, but I think our strongest starting lineup will be C-Cato; PF-Collier; SF-Griffin; SG-Mobley; and PG-Francis. The first backups at each position should be C-Jackson; PF-Thomas; SF-Rice; SG-Torres; and PG-Moochie (I think he will sign soon but for a less money than currently is bandied about). Riding the pine, ready to go will be Langhi and Morris. Walt will join Mo Taylor on the IR and will swap out with Rice when Rice's feet fail. That leaves one spot on the IR for the best true center cut by one of the other teams. It also leaves us ready to trade Walt and/or KT for a true center. I don't mean to rain on the Jackson parade, but he is not tall enough for the big centers, not heavy enough for the truly big centerbears and not quick enough for the Hakeem-type quick centers. He was an excellent acquisition as a backup center and backup PF. I'm ready for the stones, now.

14. The Voice of Reason

thanks crispee, you said what i was thinking. i think Kt has what it takes. i was infact not thrilled about getting mo last season, because i wanted KT to play. this injury of mo may actually be so good for the rockets that it maked the spurs(robinson hurt-duncan drafted) injury look tame.

By getting Marc jackson for 6 yuears and only loosing Mo for one i think its great. also with kenny getting the start he will be able to really produce which is good for the team, but he also will improve his value come next off season. if we have to trade KT because he is redundant, than it is good that his production will be much higher, and we can get a better player or players in return. so getting a good center in jackson cheap and for 6 plus getting whoever we got lext season for KT the rockets will be GREATLY improved from Mos temporary injury.

15. Swami

Swami Member

IMO, Kenny would fit pretty well starting with Cato and Rice (when healthy) as starters. Kenny is a solid rebounder (where Cato seems less capable), and Kenny is a pretty good passer who will find Rice if he is open on the perimeter. Cato can run the court (better than MJ) if Kenny snags the rebound and makes a good outlet pass. This starting lineup features 3 legitimate scorers, a defender and a rebounder. Bench scoring could come from Williams, Jackson, Griffin and Langhi/Morris.

Given Cato's injury/foul prone nature, I'm guessing Jackson will still find plenty of minutes at the 5 spot. Griffin (as a week side shot blocker) would seemingly be a nice fit with Jackson. Perhaps if Jackson rebounds well from the post, Griffin can get out and run the break with Steve and Cuttino.

16. haven

haven Member

I think Kenny has to start.

He's faster, a better position defender, a better passer, and has better low post moves than Jackson. Jackson can rebound better... but that's about it. It's possible from what I've read here that Jackson may have a more consistent shot.

I think, that instead of asking whether Kenny or Jackson should start at the 4, that Rudy should let Cato and Jackson compete for the starting 5 position.

IMO, they're a study in oppositse. Physical ability vs effort. In the end, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly even platoon, with Jackson playing when Houston needs offense, and Cato for defense.

In that light, I'd give Cato the start. It's not like Stevie, Cat, and Rice will need much help scoring points. Let Cato block a few shots and thunder dunk when Cat dishes it to him under the basket.

put Jackson in with the second team, and let him provide some O.

17. OT

OT Member

Crispee, I think you hit it right on the head. KT will be starting and MJ will make Cato fight for his job. Cato is going to have to prove that he wants it bad enough and it won't be just in training camp. It will be every day. I am thrilled with the chance of adding MJ to our lineup. With him and Griff added to the mix, I think the pieces are starting to fall together. I sure hope this deal sticks.

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

While Kenny has nice post moves, they are all for naught with his constant traveling violations, as well as getting his shot blocked or blowing layups.

Also, he does position himself well on defense, but he's got no prayer against all the PF's who are 2-4 inches taller than him.

Kenny is vastly overrated by some Rocket fans. He's a nice PF off the bench, but in no way should he start. He's a Malik Rose-type of player.

19. drpepper

drpepper Member

In alot of articles they have Jackson playing the 5 for the upcoming season. I think this will be more of an experiment to see how the 4 spot develops. I think Rudy will split their playing time evenly to see who produces more on a consistant basis. If for some reason their production gets ugly (or Jackson is getting killed) I think we'll see MJ move to the 4 with Cato at the 5. There is no reason to have 2 seven footers on the bench, especially in the West.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hypothetical question:

Assume Jackson wins the starting 5. Assume Cato is healthy. Would you start KT over Cato at the 4?

Despite Kt's better defensive position, Cato is still better man to man defensively, IMO. Cato is a better shotblocker, but not as good a defensive rebounder because of it. Cato is a better offensive rebounder. Cato's power is more effective on putbacks than KT's finnesse. Cato is less prone to try to do things he can't do, with the exception of going for too many opposing shots.

Kt's greatest advantage is he isn't foul prone, but with KT and Griffin backing him up, Cato's foul problem isn't as bad.