1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PG solution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Mar 1, 2007.

1. GMNot

GMNot Member

If Rafer would go to the basket 50% of the time AND draw contact I could live with his shooting percentage on the other 50% being jump shots.

The PG solution (drawing on the players we have) is that WHOEVER is playing point should be willing to go "Star Trek" -- shoot less jump shots, drive to the rim and seek out contact "where our point guards have never gone before". :)

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

THANK YOU!!!!!

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

If we had Bargnani he'd still be on the bench next to VSpan and Novak

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Span aint ready, if he was that much better gundy would have him in,talk about shaky with the ball

5. IVAN.D.TERRIBLE

maybe "start vspan" is bit too soon,but jl3 and head are not nba point guard material.so at least 8-10 mins palying time for vspan

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

V-Span's stats for the year

See this is just amazing, people still think he turns it over a lot when in fact it is just the opposite.....he has had FOUR total turnovers since December 12th....a span of THIRTEEN total games. During which he has had TWELVE assists.

In fact he has had 5 games in a row without a single turnover.

12 assists versus 4 turnovers is a sparkling 3-1 assist to turnover ratio.

Granted he plays late, but he is still getting assists and NOT getting turnovers.

So, I wish people would just stop talking about his turnover problem, which apparently is non existant......just as a lot of us said...the more he plays the more comfortable he gets and the lower the turnovers.

DD

7. pacman

pacman Member

I agree. somehow the philosophy seems to be to have players play out of position. Let luther head who has poor passing skills play point guard. Let Vspan who is a natural slasher and pointguard become a spot up shotter. Let Novak guard guys like Mark Blount and other big men on defense. The system should be designed to harness the players' strengths and adjusted to the circumstances of each particular case. Otherwise players like Vspan and Novak are destined for failure.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Popovich adjusts his system to take advantage of his players strengths....

I hear Adelman does too.

:D

DD

9. pacman

pacman Member

I really loved watching the Sacramento Kings play under Adelman during his golden years as a sacramento coach. Adelman probably had like a 10 to 12 man player rotation. He would substitute his first five of Bibby, Christie, Stojakovic , Webber and Divac with what they called the Mob squad if i'm not mistaken. All five of the starters would come out at the end of quarters and the second unit composed of bobby jackson , funderburke, pollard, wallace , etc. would come in and take over. Sometimes the mob squad would even start the next quarter if they played well at the end of the last quarter. Somehow that team's morale always seemed high.

10. Rainkky

Rainkky Member

At least,we can put him as a backup PG.
    Give him some minutes, he will be a good PG early or late. :)

11. Danbury

Danbury Member

ridiculous.

12. blender

blender Member

I can see our team having a similar setup when healthy. We've got Alston, T-Mac, Battier, Hayes and Yao to start then have a second unit of VSpan, Head, Bonze, JHo and Mutombo, with Snyder mixed in (Snyder/Head backcourt?). Not bad.

13. pacman

pacman Member

I forgot they had Jon Barry off the bench also. Somehow at that time when you watched that team play there was no drop in intensity or energy because you had fresh legs all the time. That team almost beat the lakers for the Western Conference championship if not for the heroics of former rocket robert horry.

14. bchapman101

bchapman101 Contributing Member

agreed, the Rafer/Luther combo is death. Luther is a total moron, and Rafer doesnt play within his limitations. But one more thing, Chuck Hayes sucks bad. His nice rebounding is cancelled out by his missed layups (ruining great passes by teammates), his free-throw shooting is ridiculous, and he is a stupid foul machine and fouls peolpe at the worst times

15. awo86

awo86 Rookie

We can give a 10-day contract to Jason hart, who has just been waived by the Kings.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hart hasn't exactly proven himself in the league. He's not a 3 point shooter, and his best year was a backup on a terrible Bobcats team.

I won't lie, the thought of picking him up did cross my mind, but you're not getting anything worthwhile.

And anyway, reports are that he's going to sign with the Clippers anyway.