1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Defense

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketScientist, Sep 24, 2001.

1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I agree with your analysis, but apparently you don't know the history between me and RM95 and that's why I don't trust his taking permission like he did.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Unless this is a joke (and RichRocket didn't seem to find it funny), I find it pretty pathetic you would slip this low. Talk about trolling!!

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I (well, my brother's, but I keep it while he's at school) have a .40 calibur Smith & Wesson.

I've taken my wife to the range a couple of times, and she can handle it fairly easily.

I also have Glasers in there for home protection. The Glaser supposedly won't go through walls etc. That's even more important living in an apartment complex.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Come on, DREAMer, the apartment complex at which you live won't give back your deposit because of a few bullet holes in the sheetrock and some blood on the carpet? Cheap bastards!!

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yo mama is so fat, she was diagnosed with the flesh eating virus, and the doctor told her she had THIRTEEN YEARS to live!!

I hope I haven't started anything serious...

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

Very true, but it would certainly encourage the perpatrator to leave the premises as quickly as possible. I only recommend the .22 because usually any firearm would be enough to scare the intruder away, and it does have all of the advantages that I listed above. A .38 would certainly be a good compromise between the .22 and .357. It is the standard issue for cops for a reason.

As a completely different approach, one could go with a good tactical shotgun. It will most definitly drop any intruder and is very high on the intimidation factor. Of course there would also be a substantial increase in collateral damage. Aiming would not be as much of a problem. I would have mentioned this in the original post, except RocketScientist said that he wanted a handgun.

7. treeman

treeman Member

One gun-nut to another... ;)

A .40 cal SW has the best stopping power you would want for a home invasion. Aim at the leg, and that guy ain't getting up until the paramedics arrive. He'll lose a leg permanently for his trouble. Adjust your aim to the chest area, and he's never getting up again.

If you want something lighter, there are plenty of .380 cal models you can choose from. They make for excellent backup arms in close quarters. Of course, If you want to set up a "collage" of colors on your walls, you get a .357 S&W...

You can't go wrong with a .40 cal S&W and a .380 Mini backup.

That's what the Feds use.

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I wouldn't recommend that either, because as soon as he can get to a phone, your lawyer will be talking to his lawyer about the arrangements for monthly payments to his client for the rest of his life, because you violated his Civil rights & now he is permanently disabled.

If you have to pull the trigger, show no mercy, or you'll regret it financially the rest of your life. The laws & courts of this great nation are really screwed up. :mad:

9. treeman

treeman Member

That's why you always take the head-shot.

If you know what you're doing, IMHO...

10. Hottoddie

Another thing you might want to think about, is to set up motion detectors in front of all the windows & doors. You can get some fairly cheap ones at Radio Shack. Because, even if you have a gun right next to your bed, it won't do you a lot of good if the perpetrator is standing right over you when you wake up. Of course, you could get a dog instead, which would also make the wife feel more comfortable during those times that you're not there.

11. treeman

treeman Member

Hottoddie:

Nonsense. Any thief or assassin worth his weight in salt can get past a motion detector. The same for other laser-tripped devices. Granted, you'll be asleep while the perp is standing over you doing his evil deeds, and in that case it's best to just pretend sleep.

Guns work best in two-story homes. You need warning time. If you're asleep, then you get no warning time. If you're awake you've got at most 20 seconds to get a weapon and respond. The vast majority of people aren't prepared for that...

That said, I'm still an idiot. I keep everything triggerlocked. On the off chance a kid gets ahold of one... My unlocking time is over 20 seconds, from the time I get off the couch.

A gas mask might be a better home defense item at this point.

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

A-Train,

Obviously, you're joking, but the safety of people I am not aiming at is no laughing matter.

The idea behind the Glaser bullet (and those like it) is that innocent people will not get hit by a stray bullet.

Besides, I can fix holes in sheetrock, pshtt.

13. Hottoddie

Fine, then get two or three mean, hungry, bad a** mofo'n Rotweilers. They should be able to slow down the perps long enough for you to wake up & get the lock off your gun. :D Then again, you probably won't need a gun & the dogs won't be hungry anymore after they get through with him.

Good luck finding a maid to clean that mess up. :D

Seriously though, the average break-in is not going to be by professionals. It's going to be by someone looking for quick cash. Personally, I'm a light enough sleeper, that just a little unusual noise wakes me up instantly. The noise of an alarm or barking dog would scare most intruders off. I hear that they don't like to draw much attention to themselves. So much for career advancement. :)

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

treeman,

I disagree on the .40 cal. It is one of the most overrated weapons IN THE WORLD. There is not a significant increase in lethality over a good 9mm round, while the magazine capacity is significantly reduced.

15. dc sports

dc sports Member

If it's for home defense, a shotgun is supposed to be the best firearm for a number of reasons: 1) They are simple to use, 2) rarely malfunction, 3) aim isn't quite as important -- especially at night with no glasses, etc., 4) The pellets tend to be stopped by walls, so less chance of injuring the neighbors, 5) The neighbors will know you have a problem when they hear a shotgun blast, 6) they look big and threatening, and 7) the sound of a shotgun round chambering is one of the most unmistakable, and terrifying, a burglar can hear.

A pistol isn't ideal at all for home defense because: 1) they are often more complicated, espeically an automatic, particularly for someone who doesn't practice using one, 2) can malfunction if left locked in a drawer for years, especially an automatic, 3) aim can be a problem, especially when awakened at night, 4) can go through a wall and hurt a neighbor / family member, 5) not nearly as threatening or loud.

A pistol can be used for "home defense," but it's really not the best tool for that job. I think most people that get one for that reason are really getting one -- just to have.