1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you prepared?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Sep 25, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Here are a couple of links to sites that ask the question, "Are you prepared for a terrorist attack?"

Yahoo/Ch 2. link

CNN link

Red Cross Family Disaster Planning page

I have a chem warfare mask, but without the hood, suit, gloves and boots...how effective can that be? The Yahoo article mentions common sense things to have on hand, like water and batteries. One thing it doesn't mention is to have important papers together, health records, ID's, etc...

Is anyone out there concerned that a chem/bio attack could occur?

rH

[​IMG]

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How much does all this cost? Someone give a rundown?

3. rockHEAD

How much does what cost?
    Being prepared is priceless....

are you talking about the chem gear?
    You can probably find some of that stuff online or at Military Surplus stores...I'm sure it's not cheap, especially now with all the hullabaloo.

I didn't mean are you prepared, equipment-wise, for an attack, just are you prepared...

rH

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Maybe people can take out their old y2k preparation defense kits.

I remember where people up in Denton County Texas who were connected to city water were spending $thousands to drill private water wells since y2k would cut off the public water supply.

Have you guys bought stocks in gas mask companies?

5. rockHEAD

[​IMG]
    Equity trader David Rubinstein keeps a gas mask next to his desk at vFinance Investments in the Manhattan borough of New York on Monday, Sept. 24, 2001. (AP Photo/Laura Rauch)

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not prepared in the equipment sense of the word...I'll never be. I figure a world where stuff like that happens isn't worth living in anyway. I don't want to survive an attack like that.

7. haven

haven Member

If it were sustained, I might agree with you. But I really don't think this will last forever. I suspect there will be a few more attacks, and one of them will probably by bio/chemical. But that stuff is hard to produce, hard to store, hard to disperse, and probably hard to sneak by US Customs by now. Heck, it's even often lethal to the person who disperses it. There couldn't be that many people willing to die, could there? Besides, the government looks out for people who even look up the damned stuff, right?

It'll happen I'm sure. But if have the misfortune to be in one of the hopefully rare attacks, I'd rather survive.

That said, I haven't even looked for a gas mask. It just doesn't seem likely. And well, by the time you knew about the threat, it'd probably be too late.

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

true, I can have my gas mask beside me at work and I'd be laying on the floor before my hand could reach for the dern thing. :)

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

RM95,
    Doesn't sound like you have any children.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cohen,

I don't, and I know my opinion will change whenever I do. However, right now, I'd have to seriously doubt whether this is the right time to bring a child into the world. I'm not close to having children (knock on wood ;) ), but if I was, I'd wait to see where this is all headed.

11. rockHEAD

found this in the Houston Chronicle - link

Sept. 24, 2001, 10:19PM
    Shelters, survival gear suddenly in big demand

Business is picking up for Sharon Packer, who runs a small Salt Lake City firm that sells Swiss-made bomb shelters starting at $16,000. Before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, her Utah Shelter Systems sold about one a month, mostly to people worried about tornadoes or earthquakes. Last Thursday alone she took six orders, all from people seeking protection against chemical or biological attack. "When I went to bed, I still had 93 e-mails to answer," Packer says.
    Phones also are ringing off the hook at Neoterik Health Technologies in Woodsboro, Md., where anxious customers are paying $259.99 each for Survivor-brand gas masks and $495 for enclosed-bubble protectors for babies and pets. Fears of more terrorist assaults and uncertainty
    about adequate government protection are providing a huge boost to the survivalist industry and
    other purveyors of emergency supplies and advice. The surge of buying appears, at least anecdotally, both stronger and broader than in past scares, including those related to the 1991 Gulf War and the Y2K panic.

-- Wall Street Journal