1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard, Anthony To Replace Yao, Boozer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yo, Feb 9, 2007.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/allstar_game/injury_070209.html

NEW YORK, Feb. 9, 2007 – Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard and Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony have been named by NBA Commissioner David Stern to replace injured West All-Stars Yao Ming (right knee) of the Houston Rockets and Carlos Boozer (left fibula) on the Western Conference Roster for the 2007 NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, February 18 in Las Vegas.
    Anthony and Howard, each in their fourth NBA season, will be making their first All-Star appearance. West All-Star head coach Mike D'Antoni will determine which player on his roster will replace Yao in the starting line-up.

The NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 18, will air live on TNT and ESPN Radio beginning at 8 p.m. EST. The game will also be telecast in over 200 countries and broadcast on NBA.com.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's good. Those guys should be on the team. Ray Allen and Elton Brand still aren't on the team though. That's kind of sad.

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

With Anthony now selected as an All-star, four of the five top picks(Lebron 1, Anthony 3, Bosh 4 and Wade 5) in the 2003 draft class will be in this year All-Star games...amazing!!!! :eek:

Darko, you need to work harder, i know you can make it one day too! :D ;)

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My wife and I were just talking about how good the 2003 draft was. With Howard, number 30 in that draft, that makes 5 all-stars from 2003. Damn good draft.

5. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

Yeah good choice. Howard deserves it (he's a big part why the mavs are good) and Anthony finally got his first allstar appearance.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So much for that "Stern wants to send a message about Melo" theory.

7. Matador

Matador Member

Cool. You can talk about the NBA draft with your wife. Lucky guy. You have a good woman.

I doubt Steve Nash and Allen Iverson are going to play in the ASG due to injury opening the door for 2 more players in the West. Ray Allen and Elton Brand? Maybe Mehmet Okur?

Also if Nash is hurt how about replacing him with T-Mac for the Skills competition? T-Mac, Wade, Lebron, and Kobe.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Damn...replacing a center and a power forward with two small forwards. This score for this all star game will put all the recent ones to shame. I'm thinking a score in the 150's will win...

9. xtint1n

xtint1n Member

tmac won't win. not that his passing is worse or anything, it's just he's slower because of his size.

10. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

Melo is a good player, but hes punk. I don't really like him. And Howard is fugly.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

it was funny, at the game on Friday, when Josh Howard got out of the game for his standing ovation, the announcer said "the newest NBA Allstar", I shouted out, "you better thank Yao was injured or he wouldnt be one!" and I got ugly looks :)

12. vmac

vmac Member

Bingo! Never liked those two either. Especially Howard who needs a major dental makeover. Although I agree Melo should be an all-star simply because he's the scoring leader and he can put up some highlights for the fans. Howard on the other hand isn't all-star material although he's putting up above average numbers. I find him boring. He'll never be as explosive and entertaining as the likes of T-Mac, Carter, Kobe & Wade. The all-star game I believe is for the fans to be entertained. What's he gonna do? rebound? shoot jumpers? do a boring layup? :rolleyes:

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I guess this is related...Nash is officially out of the all star game. I think Stern should continue with small ball lineup and send Deron Williams instead of one of the big men. He'll probably send Brand or Okur, though, though...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2763202

Shoulder sidelines Nash for Sunday's All-Star GameBy Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash will not play in Sunday's All-Star Game because of his ailing shoulder, ESPN.com has learned.

Nash has missed the Suns' past three games and will also be held out of Wednesday's visit to Seattle, according to team sources.
    Withdrawing from the annual Skills Challenge on All-Star Saturday as well as Sunday's game thus gives Nash two full weeks away from game conditions before the Suns play again Feb. 20 in a road date against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Nash, though, will be in Las Vegas alongside fellow Western Conference injury victims Yao Ming and Carlos Boozer. League rules stipulate that All-Stars must be in attendance throughout All-Star Weekend even if they are injured and require ongoing rehab treatments.

Nash's replacement on the West roster will be selected by NBA commissioner David Stern. A replacement for Nash will also be required for the four-man skills event that would have pit him against Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Stern has already chosen Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Dallas' Josh Howard to replace Yao and Boozer on the West squad, but it's believed that two members from the Jazz -- center Memhet Okur and guard Deron Williams -- will receive strong consideration to take Nash's spot. Boozer's leg injury has left Utah without an active presence in the All-Star Game even though the Jazz awoke Monday morning with the league's third-best record at 33-17.

Other potential replacement candidates include the Los Angeles Clippers' Elton Brand and Portland's Zach Randolph.

Nash told ESPN's Jim Gray during Sunday's broadcast of the Suns' home loss to the Bulls that the mysterious shoulder pain -- which first began troubling him on the morning of Feb. 1 -- is likely related to his chronic back trouble.

Nash's unavailability increases the likelihood that the Suns' Mike D'Antoni, who's coaching the West, will select Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki to start Sunday in place of Yao. Yet it's believed that D'Antoni was leaning toward starting Nowitzki regardless, which would have enabled him to sub all three of the Suns' All-Stars -- Nash, Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire -- into the game at the same time.

14. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

I really hope Zach Randolph gets selected to the all star game this year. He is finally healthy and has been putting up tremendous numbers all year long (24 ppg, 10 rpg). He's having a really great year and i feel that he is underappreciated in the league.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

So does this mean that Yao's and Boozer's absence from the Allstar game will go against their Allstar records?

Basically in terms of the record books, this year won't count as Yao and Boozer making the Allstar team?

16. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

haha dang right

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

It counts as an all star game. They just get 0 minutes.