1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN INSIDER: More on M Jax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Sep 20, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Here ya go..(from espn insider)

How many 6-foot-10, 260-pound people do you know who can average 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game as rookie in the NBA? Houston Rocket guard Cuttino Mobley knows at least one.

So when restricted free agent and friend Marc Jackson paid him a visit on Wednesday, Mobley decided to invite Rocket GM Carroll Dawson to the gathering and they talked.

Jackson nearly won the Rookie of the Year award last season as a member of the Golden State Warriors and the Rockets desperately need some front-court help after starting power forward Maurice Taylor, who put up 13 points and 5.5 boards a game last season, went down with a season ending injury.

The Houston Chronicle has learned that the Rockets have already applied for the disabled player exception, which would allow them to circumvent the salary cap and offer Jackson half of what Taylor makes, which would be about $3.25 million this year or $24 million over six years.

The only problem is that Golden State has the right to match any offer given to Jackson and other teams have been unwilling to work with the Warriors concerning a sign-and-trade.

2. NJRocket

This was in the Espn Insider article as well today: ( i dont quite understand what the guy is talking about hough being that Griffin wore # 33...maybe he meant high school

Peep Show

Rockets: Recently-signed draft pick Eddie Griffin, who is expected to clock a lot more minutes this season with the injury to Maurice Taylor, has given up his number with a smile. Griffin wore No. 41 during his college days to honor his late brother Marvin Powell. But the Rockets traded for veteran shooter Glen Rice, who has worn that number his entire NBA career and Griffin conceded. "That's all right," Griffin said. "He's the veteran. That's his number to keep. I'll have it some day."

3. drpepper

drpepper Member

True, Eddie did wear 33 in college.
    When he was introduced as a Rocket he chose #41, in honor of his late brother, as his jersey number.

4. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

That quote right there is a good sign. Many have question Griffin's character due to a few fights, but that quote shows a lot of maturity and respect. Some guys would make a big deal if they had to give up the jersey number they chose, but Griffin handled the situation very well. I'm sure he is dissapointed that he won't get to wear #41 in honor of his brother for now, but he accepted the situation and said all the right things.

5. Live

Live Member

Great point, SF3. I don't think anyone should worry about Eddie and his 'tude. He's going to be fine.

6. Houstone

Houstone Member

Actually, upon researching this today, I found out that the Warriors are now willing to let him go, something they weren't saying before they got Fortson back. It sounds like the Rockets may use the injury exception to get Jackson for one year. It helps us and it helps him. He can try his luck again next season if he improves his value with us.

7. NJRocket

Thats good news Houstone...where did you get the info?

8. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Quote from Rocketguy.com BBS...

"The Rocket Guy
    Moderator posted 09-21-2001 12:39 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually, upon researching this today, I found out that the Warriors are now willing to let him go, something they weren't saying before they got Fortson back. It sounds like the Rockets may use the injury exception to get Jackson for one year. It helps us and it helps him. He can try his luck again next season if he improves his value with us.
    "

Houstone, is this your "research"? Or is this your idea of a joke?

9. Houstone

Houstone Member

Damn you caught me red handed!:) :)

10. rock

rock Member

You phony. :p

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah right, The Rocket Guy. That is the same guy that is right now claiming that Mo Taylor has cost the Rockets the medical exemption. Even though the NBA is going to listen to a physician over a player. He's also the same guy who claims that Pig Miller is a basically a better player then Mo when he said he would take a frontline of Pig, KT and Griffin over a frontline of Mo, KT, and Griffin.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Do people actually pay for this "ESPN Insider" stuff? Sounds more like stuff that's been rehashed here about 50 times, rather than inside info...

13. 3pointer

3pointer Member

That is why this is the BEST site for basketball in the entire internet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. NJRocket

Apparently, you were interested enuf to read the post from Insider.

15. A-Train

Yeah, it's a real burden to spend a whole minute and a half clicking on a thread and reading it...let's look at the info that was in that insider article...

a) Marc Jackson is 6-10, 260 lbs. and averaged 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game - I can get that from any sports site on the net

b) Jackson almost won the ROY award - knew that already

c) The Rockets applied for the disabled player exception - knew that already

d) Marc Jackson is a restricted free agent - knew that already

The only thing in that article that I didn't know is the part about Mobley and Jackson talking with Dawson...yeah, like I care...

Heck, since you're givng out free insider info, just post your user name and password on the board, and we can get as much as we want...

keep that free info coming!

16. NJRocket

Wow, you not only read it, you read it carefully enough to pass a short pop quiz. Way to go A train!!! YAY!!!!! What would you need the password to Insider for??/ I wouldn't want to burden you with needless reading.

17. A-Train

It's not that the information is needless...It is accurate sports info...I would gladly browse through the info in ESPN Insider if it were free

Of course, you are PAYING for it! Every single thing in that article, I already knew, yet my credit card bill isn't being charged by ESPN every month. Your credit card bill is being charged.

Heck, as long as you enjoy wasting your money, I got this groovy little bridge in Brooklyn that I think you'd be interested in

#17 A-Train, Sep 24, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2001
  18. NJRocket

So because you are either cheap or impovershed (or both), i should refrain from posting ESPN Insider articles because you already know everything? I'll tell you what, judging by the amount of views this thread got, I would guess that the vast majority of readers on the BBS appreciate the fact that I post these articles occasionally.

19. man532

man532 Member

Girls,

Stop your fighting, we're all Rocket fans and the only thing we care about is getting accurate information fast. If my man wants to pay for insider and give it to us free, hook it up like cable.

In addition, his thread has received viewers, so he gets scoreboard.

20. Yakeem ASunKing

I don't remember actually learning anything That interesting off of the ESPN Insider posts, but I do appreciate them. Keep them coming, they are certainly better than the "I know a guy who knows Rodney McCray" and "who sucks more..." and the "Hey! Let's change uniforms!!!" posts.