1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Horn???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MoonDogg, Dec 22, 1999.

1. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Anybody else hear any rumblings coming outta Jersey about Van Horn for Carlos Rogers,Tony Massenburg, and Bryce Drew? Or maybe Van Horn for Tony Massenburg, Mobley and Walt Williams.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

I seriously doubt this would happen. I sure hope it doesn't because Van Horn is extremely overrated. I think the Rockets would be better off keeping Mobley.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather have a defensive PF that possesses adequate offensive skills which can be developed.On the other hand Van Horn can FILL IT UP.If they could get VanHorn for Cat and others then it WOULD be a steal.

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 22, 1999).]

4. CaucasionSensation

I think Van Horn is definitly looking overrated this year, but that probably has something to do with playing with the selfish prima donna point guard that Stephon Marbury. Point guards weren't made to score in the 30's all the time.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Walt is making about $1.2 million more than Van Horn right now. There would be salary matching problems with your Walt scenario. The gap in the other scenario is about equal to TMass's salary. So, that's not matching either.

Either of those deals would have to include more players from the Nets, or less from us.

NOTE: Van Horn just signed a huge contract extension with the Nets kicking in next year. 6yr $73million. Do you want that garbage load on your team?

Can't imagine anyone wanting that.

6. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be so quick to call Van Horn overrated. He's got such a bright future ahead of him. Barely 24 years old. Right now, he is about a 20 ppg, 8 rpg, 1 bpg, 1 spg combo forward. He's got outstanding athleticism. Terrific offensive repetoire. By the end of his career, he'll probably put be a 25 ppg/10 rpg player. But I do think playing with Marbury is hampering his growth.

7. rocketscat

rocketscat New Member

first of all, listen up guys we can't let cat go any where, he allready shown how good he is in only two years, and believe me he going to be great player, and he is our go to guy from bench.

second, rogers been playing great for us, we can't let these good players go. Also, if we pick up horn we won't have much salary cap next year

i don't know about u guys, but i think we have great team right now, all we need is one big guy who can shoot and rebound, and rudy and CD will pick up next year.

i think we should not even think about trading steve, anderson, cat, cato, rogers, and drew.

give them year or so, we are at the stage at rebuilding, and we are doing better than bulls.

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I think you are right about not trading

FRANCIS
    ANDERSON
    CAT
    CATO
    ROGERS

BUT DREW? Come on, if a deal comes that is pretty nice then Drew is on the next flight out of houston.

9. rocketscat

rocketscat New Member

Francis u r right, drew is not that good player, but we all know steve can't play whole 48 minutes. i think he play decent enough to give steve litle rest, and if u noticed when steve out for 3-4 games he played all right. thing i like most about drew is he involve whole team.

10. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

NOTE: Van Horn just signed a huge contract extension with the Nets kicking in next year. 6yr $73million. Do you want that garbage load on your team?

That's just scary...

thing i like most about drew is he involve whole team.

Of course, because he can't do anything by himself.

Plus, as much as I like Drew, he has more value on someone else's team then ours. We have a backup guard in Mobes, and Drew is too good of a backup. We can get a good forward for him. We can always replace Drew if we trade him with a veteren PG or a second round PG.

Francis3:

Amen... If we get a good offer with Drew in it, he's gone.

I think something is up with TMass and Walt. There's obviously some trade talks either for Gill or someone else. But Van Horn? With that huge contract. 2 words: HELL NO.

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah you are right, Something has to be up with those 2.

12. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

van horn would rule, he'd tear it up in this ncaa crap we're playing it up with... if that trade didn't include carlos, i'd be all for it, only b/c it seems that van horn is to frail to last long in this league... he looks like he's going to have a career ending injury any second now...

13. CaucasionSensation

Although Van Horn is a very good player, I'm not sold on him because I hardly ever get to watch him.

As far as Cat being untradable, I wouldn't exactly think that he is. He's not the best shooter, fights serious bouts with horrible shot selection, and almost every basket for him comes from an isolation play or fastbreak. Understand I love Cat but he needs 3 dribbles to score and still has not learned mid range shooting and movement without the ball. Also we have Shandon Anderson.

If the big deal we wanted came along I think while Rudy and What's his face would think long and hard about his inclusion. But if it was good for the team I don't think they would hesitate too long.

14. rocketsfan34

He's not the best shooter, fights serious bouts with horrible shot selection, and almost every basket for him comes from an isolation play or fastbreak.

Mobley still is better than Drew in my eyes. If a deal involved giving up Mobley or Drew, Drew is out the door. Mobley may become cold, he may do horrible, but he still more valuable than Drew.

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited December 22, 1999).]

15. Francis3

Francis3 Member

How can you compare someone like Mobley to DREW!

Drew is **** compared to Mobley.

16. rocketsfan34

17. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Who's the next, Elton Brand?

18. alaskansnowman

DO NOT trade Cuttino Mobley. He has far too much potential to be traded off. Rogers has given this team his all. He has found his role on this team, he has found a home on this team, and he has found a home in this city. He has played his heart out for us! Is this how we repay our hard working players? By shipping them off to crappy teams? If we trade anybody, it should be either Williams, TMass, Bullard, Hamilton, or maybe Thomas. And kenny Thomas has shown he can play too. He also has potential, but most of all, he has CONFIDENCE. With his hard work ethic and confidence, he can go far in this league in establishing a name for himself.

So, if we trade, it should be with the 5 guys i mentioned above. We probably won't get much with these 5, but that's why we're going after role players like Gill.

peace out.

19. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

It's nuts to trade Mobley now, he and Francis are the best in the league in breaking down the opponents. They get to the baskets at will. We should keep both of them and make a tandem out of it.

20. CaucasionSensation

FinalFantasy,

You think Mobley and Francis are the best in the league when it comes to breaking people down.

Allan Iverson
    Sam Cassel
    Tim Hardaway
    Jason Williams
    Stephon Marbury

List could go on further here.

Lets be serious now. If Mobley was in that top 2, wouldn't every team and their uncle be wanting Mobley right now. In fact he should probably be an all-star. That's just much too bold a claim to be given support.