1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People Who Shouldn't Own Pets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jan 29, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

It seems I'm surrounded by people who should never ever even think of owning a pet. First there was the friends who were about to give away their dog to a shelter and then when I introduced them to someone who wanted their dog, they suddenly decided they wanted $500 for the dog.

Now it seems that this other girl that I know is going to put her pitbull to sleep because it misbehaves. The dog is not even a year old yet, and she has had it for 9 months. Obviously, she didn't make any effort to train what is a naturally extremely aggressive dog, and is now just putting it to sleep because she doesn't want to deal with it. I'm so furious, I don't even want to talk to her, which should make my wife happy since she doesn't like me talking to her anyway lol

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Speaking as someone who has to put one of his cats to sleep today because of an illness that can't be cured (and she's only 7), hearing those kinds of things makes me ill.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...sorry.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you have to have a legitimate reason for putting your dog down? Will a vet just do it for any reason at all...or worse, no reason? I always thought if I took my dog to the vet to be put down for a stupid reason like that they would tell me to take a hike.

5. hotballa

I don't know, but I hope they do this. I just find it to be extremely cold hearted, selfish, and irresponsible to put down a dog just because it misbhevaes (which BTW is the owner's fault). I think my Uncle put his dog to sleep for the same reason though, so I'm not too hopeful about it.

6. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

At the vet clinic where my wife used to work, they would, on occasion, just tell the client the animal was put down, then they would take it to an animal rescue for rehabilitation and adoption.

Some people are, indeed, too stupid and/or lazy to own pets.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that Jeff. :(

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

One option for new pet owners is getting one from an animal foster home. Most times you can return a pet before the 1 year aniversary.

RR

Jeff, sorry to hear about it. We had to put one our dogs down a couple of years ago and we still can't get over it.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am sorry Jeff...that sucks !

DD

10. hotballa

man, i can't even contemplate the situation you're in right now. So sorry to hear it.

11. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Jeff:

"Speaking as someone who has to put one of his cats to sleep today because of an illness that can't be cured (and she's only 7), hearing those kinds of things makes me ill."

My condolences. We had to put down an 11 year old terrier last August. She had vestibular- balance problems, seizures ( medicated with phenobarbital) and was going into kidney failure. We may have waited longer than we should have, but wanted to give her every chance we could to get better. We loved her- and it was hard to come to the point of putting her down- so some selfish motives too. Very difficult.

I'm sorry for your loss Jeff.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thanks, everyone.

Stories like these are so frustrating, particularly because I spend so much time trying to save animals that are unwanted. These pets do NOTHING to hurt anyone and end up abandoned or killed because humans, who should know better, don't take responsibility.

And, it isn't just homeless pets that live on the street because people let their animals out without being fixed. There is a rescue service in Houston for virtually every breed of pet. I've seen pure-breds get dumped because they were too old or puppies get dropped in dumpsters or left in poor neighborhoods.

People take better care of inanimate objects than they do living creatures and it's just pathetic and sad.

13. hotballa

sigh...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01292007/news/regionalnews/pets_dumped_regionalnews_heidi_singer.htm

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Stories like that make me angry. My dog is quite unruly, but I would never consider giving it away to a shelter. I've actually shelled money out of my pocket to hire a personal trainer to correct this problem. Loyalty people!

15. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Since I love pets myself, dog, cat, bird, horse, turtle, fish, you name it, I love it, but not pig, mice and snake, I'm scare of them, and hate them, but I ain't afraid to digest anything except mice or worms.

Seeing stories like this really makes mad, people are so selfish when they killed their dog for whatever reason without really trying, there are many other alternative that they could choose from, one of the best and yet most convenience way would be just donate the dog to some Asian country so that they can enjoy a nice meal together.

16. hotballa

Not funny.

Very crude and disgusting attempt at an ill timed joke. You might as well tell us pet owners that you're a cannibal.

Would you make a joke about eating babies in a thread where a guy talks about losing his child?

a**hole

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah but this is a pit bull so all the owner would really have to say is it is overly aggressive. Since pit bulls have a bad rep anyway it probably would not be a problem.

18. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Well, if you think outside the box and look at it from another point, you can see that wasted stuff like this could save million of people from dying of hunger. In Africa, they had to catch it in the wild with their bare hands in order to do them...
    :eek:

19. hotballa

I know you're being sarcastic and think you're funny. This thread is not the place to do it, or have you not noticed the earlier posts?

For the sake of a few cheap laughs, you come up looking like a total a**.

I suggest you shut up and move on to another thread.

20. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

For the love of God, I love pets, and I was researching just months ago to learn more about dogs so that I can get one and have a better experience when I finally get one, don't be surprise that I make another thread asking people for advice on dogs in the near couple months.

But still...........